Proper size trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here a used 16' will bring almost as much as new at an auction. I sold a 74 model 6x16 that was rusted out around the front and the floor was bad in several spots at an auction a couple of months ago and it brought$1350. Newer ones bring 2-3k. A new 6x16 can be bought for$3150.

My stock trailer is 8ftwide by 28ft long It will hold 17 1300# cows we hauled calves today they weighed around 700#s could fit around 25 head.

I have a 16' bumper pull. There are times I wish I had something bigger, but this one is paid for and I don't want to spring for the buck for a new one. If I was to go bigger than 16' I'd go with a 24' gooseneck. I probably wouldn't go bigger. Most that are larger than 24' will have 3 axles to help with the weight load. I've heard of some folks having problems with 3 axles. Hard to turn in close quarters without hurting tires or axle.

I see lots of them out there, so maybe that is just a tale.

There has been some good advice offered, but you did not say what size truck you had to pull this trailer. I have pulled everything from a homemade 14 ft. bumper hitch to a 55 foot single deck. You need to match the trailer to what will easily and safely pull. I have a 20 ft. gooseneck that I pull with a 3/4 ton truck. A good fit. I have borrowed a friends 24 ft. when I needed to haul 12 big 4-H show heifers to Ft. Worth stock show a couple of years ago. Truck could pull it, but I was was concerned about being able to stop in a hurry.

BC":17fo8r8m said:
Truck could pull it, but I was was concerned about being able to stop in a hurry.

Excellent point! My dad alwasy told me the most important part of a vehicle was the brakes. If you can;t stop you have no business "go-ing"

dun

BC":2xgim6vk said:
There has been some good advice offered, but you did not say what size truck you had to pull this trailer. I have pulled everything from a homemade 14 ft. bumper hitch to a 55 foot single deck. You need to match the trailer to what will easily and safely pull. I have a 20 ft. gooseneck that I pull with a 3/4 ton truck. A good fit. I have borrowed a friends 24 ft. when I needed to haul 12 big 4-H show heifers to Ft. Worth stock show a couple of years ago. Truck could pull it, but I was was concerned about being able to stop in a hurry.
All you have to do, is turn up the setting on your electric brakes. Adjust to the weight of the load.When I see people pulling 20' Goosenecks with 1/2 ton pickups I worry.

Crowderfarms":1g67qt3v said:
BC":1g67qt3v said:
All you have to do, is turn up the setting on your electric brakes. Adjust to the weight of the load.When I see people pulling 20' Goosenecks with 1/2 ton pickups I worry.

When you turn them up to the point where the trailer brakes lock up, you still need the truck to do more then it's part.

dun

dun":5jnksija said:
Crowderfarms":5jnksija said:
BC":5jnksija said:

When you turn them up to the point where the trailer brakes lock up, you still need the truck to do more then it's part.

dun
That's why I've always pulled with 1 Tons. Dual rears help with stability, and with a larger braking surface than some trucks have.

Crowderfarms":d03zgf2s said:
That's why I've always pulled with 1 Tons. Dual rears help with stability, and with a larger braking surface than some trucks have.

Back when I had an International 460 I bought a 18' flatbed to haul it from place to place. The load was more then the old F-150 or even the F-250 standard wanted to haul. Last week I pulled the same trailer with the F-250 Superduty with the JD 5510 on it. Truck was fine but the trailer had more then it wanted. Truck had to do most of the braking. Decided that for short hauls, 10-15 miles, I'll drive the tractor rather then tow it.

dun

That's why I've always pulled with 1 Tons. Dual rears help with stability, and with a larger braking surface than some trucks have.[/quote]

I agree a 1 ton dually does offer more stability and braking, but it is overkill on size for many operations. Besides that it is two more tires to have to replace.

I would suggest that a 20 ft. gooseneck behind a 3/4 ton truck is a good fit. One more idea - have an extra partition gate put in to block the front 4 feet off. Ideal for putting baby calves, saddles, etc. If you need it you still have 16 ft of hauling space and if you don't need it just swing it open and you ill have a 12 ft. compartment in front and an 8 ft section at the back.

Probably in some instances need to look at manuevering space. On this farm anything over 16 foot is a real killer to try to get into the places that it needs to go.. Not as bad as at the last place that anything bigger then 14 foot needed to be backed up 300 yds to get to the loading chute.

dun

I'll just keep my mouth shut on this one- I haul calves in my 1/2 ton van....I mean IN the van, with a tarp on the floor! When I need to haul bigger steers, I just hire a neighbor.

One thing I can give advice on though, as I used to be in the towing business, is to definitely have more truck than you think you need (or, less trailer than you think your truck can handle)- as others have stated, it's all about STOPPING. Add wet roads, or idiot drivers to the mix, and the big sturdy truck looks better and better. You mikght be able to get away with alot.....but all it takes is one time....one guy to pull out in front of you, or one slick spot....

I have a friend who once towed a 25,000 CAT with a CAR, in New York City (!!) and he's still alive to tell about it....but he has had some heart-stopping experiences- and not everyone will be as LUCKY as he was.

When I do get my first stock trailer, I'm definitely getting only a 14' or 16' one.

RichieMaGoo":3h7o4bok said:
I'll just keep my mouth shut on this one- I haul calves in my 1/2 ton van....I mean IN the van, with a tarp on the floor!

:lol: Been there, done that. After all, when it comes to lifting calves, the back of the van IS lower than the tailgate of the truck......

Although we do have a trailer, I don't use it very often. Unless I'm hauling big animals there's no need for it. My 'lil heifer calf has had so many rides to the vet clinic in the back of the truck I can just put her in and she stays quiet and down. No need for a helper to hold her. (I did have to do some interesting speed changes the first couple times to teach her to stay down though, LOL.)

Thanks, Milkmaid,

It's good to know i'm not the only one who's crazy! :)

(If ya asks me, the people who have 10 cows and go out and buy a $40K dually and a $10K trailer are the crazy ones)

Make do with what we got...and don't go into debt! (Don't want to end up subsidizing my farming like too many neighbors are doing)

RichieMaGoo":1lwem9vo said:
(If ya asks me, the people who have 10 cows and go out and buy a $40K dually and a $10K trailer are the crazy ones)
Good point, Richie. Or even if they've got 500 cows.......

you're all too big for me. I've got an old homemade 4x8 and haul 2 600pounders or 1 cow at atime. Traded an ol double barrel shotgun for it.jp

RichieMaGoo":2rr7ddgp said:
Thanks, Milkmaid,

It's good to know i'm not the only one who's crazy! :)

Make do with what we got...and don't go into debt! (Don't want to end up subsidizing my farming like too many neighbors are doing)

Good point!!! If you have got 20 cows or less and the only place you ever haul any of them is the local barn, you don't even really need a trailer. You can call most stockyards and they will send a trailer to pick up your calves. Three trips to the stockyard at $40-65 a trip is a heck of a better deal than paying $3-10,000 for a trailer, tow package for the truck, and a yearly tag fee, plus periodic repairs. Of course we all know people with a $35,000 dually, $28,000 JD tractor, $4,000 horse trailer, $8000 stock trailer, $4000 bushog, and $5500 ATV to manage a herd consisting of two horses and 10 cows.

I would go with atleast a 20'. I don't know what you are hauling with, but a 20' gooseneck will probably do most of what you need. Yeah a 16' or 14' may do the job now, but what if you want to get bigger in 3 years. Its always better to have extra than not enough. I have hauled a 35' with my f250 superduty loaded with 15 cows and a calf. It was a load, but as long as your trailer brakes are working and you are cautious, you should be fine. I think I will buy a 24' or 28' this year. Not quite for sure which yet. I haul a 25' four horse trailer with a dressing room and don't even know its there.

Josh

When you get a trailer, hide it behind the barn or you'll be moving people more than you haul cows.

My bumpersticker: Yes this is my trailer and no I wont help you move.

Brandonm2":2a3j6sco said:
Of course we all know people with a $35,000 dually, $28,000 JD tractor, $4,000 horse trailer, $8000 stock trailer, $4000 bushog, and $5500 ATV to manage a herd consisting of two horses and 10 cows.

Add 10K to the dualie.
Add 20K to the JD.
Add 10K to the horse trailer.
Stock trailer is ok.
Bushog is ok if used.
ATV is ok.

I mentioned this before long ago. Saw a single wide trailer on about 2 acres. THey had a $40K diesel truck and a $20K aluminum horse trailer parked beside it. I guess you got to look the part when you go to the shows.

Latest posts