Proper size trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree a 16' trailer is pretty adequate for a small to mid-size operation. Also if you can afford the extra money get an aluminum trailer. They will last a lot longer and have a better re-sale value.

may I suggest a 20' long by 8' wide Gooseneck with an extra gate at the front by the side door. Makes it so you can haul 8 pair at once and seperate so you don't have to worry about the bumper hitch problems.

24 foot trailer you can haul anything. A 24 will hold about 12 2,000 pound bulls. For what you are doing I would go with 18' or 20'.

SCfarms":3qiec7f9 said:
A 24 will hold about 12 2,000 pound bulls.

Wow that must be some trailer to hold that many bulls that size, you got pics? And I don't mean just pics of the trailer, I want to see 12 2000 lb bulls in there too please. :roll:

El_Putzo

That would be a show now wouldnt it?

I dont want pics I want to see that one. :shock:

Should be some excited, tight packed stock.... :mad:

MD

I can get 12 cows in my 24', but I don't think I have a big enough hot shot to get 12 2000lb bulls in it.

A pistol would do it....

Then you could just stack em. :roll:

MD

I have a 16 footer and it does all I need, hard on the backing up. But I am getting better, about the time I get all froggy and think I have it figured out.... Well I screw it up :oops:
Oh well it gets em there.

You can just about buy a 20 ft. for what a 16 ft. trailer will cost you and they pull about the same.

SCfarms":1n6c51ph said:
24 foot trailer you can haul anything. A 24 will hold about 12 2,000 pound bulls. For what you are doing I would go with 18' or 20'.
Hey Stephen
What is the width on this 24 ft trailer. How many wheels does it need to haul 24,000 lb. I too would like to see a pic of it loaded with 12 2,000 lb bulls.

who is the manufacturer of that trailer???
gotta have one! :D of course i don't have 12 head of 2000# bulls to haul, that's a lotta bull to carry around :D :D
i get by with a 16' gooseneck but would like a bigger one someday have had to make 2 trips once or twice where aa bigger one would have made it in one, but i just can't justify the expense seeing as how my 16' is paid for!!
but a 24' that will carry 12 2000# bulls might make me change my mind and become a small commercial hauler :eek: :eek:
yea right!!! got enough headaches without going there :lol:

We have a 14 foot pull trailer that meets most of our needs except when we haul the calves to the backgrounder. Then we just borrow the neighbors 24 foot gooseneck.
The 14 ft was acquired when I was still driving an F-150 and when loaded it was all that truck wanted. With the F-250 Super duty it isn;t aware that there is a load of cattle in the trailer, or that there is a trailer for that matter.
You just have to keep in mind the maximum the trailer will weigh loaded and what the towing capacity is for the vehicle doing the towing.

dun

Dun, I AGREE''''''''' I have the same 14' bumper pull, dual 3500 lb axels with a F150, I can haul 8-10 calves or 4-5 cows is about it. 7000 lb total and that includes the trailer, alot of people think they can haul 7000 lbs in the trailer but you have to include the trailer weight too.

I try to stay under 4600 lbs of cattle because the F150 has all it can handle.

The longer the trailer the easier to back and pull. but any thing over a sixteen you better have a truck to handle it. it aint practical to have too much trailer. done been there

I currently have a 16 foot bumper trailer; but I would recommend getting a 24 foot gooseneck. Invariably what happens with me is that 2 head jump on the trailer with no effort. I don't want to let them out so I shut the partition, then I can't get the other 6 in the back section so I have to put two on there, shut the gate, open up the partition, then fight to crowd all 4 up in the front section with the partition again shut, then I open back up and invariably get 3 of the remaining 4 on the back, so I shut the gate, then I am stuck with one head I have to crowd into the alley and manhandle through the sliding door quickly without letting any of the other three out. And this is an even bigger rodeo if I am squeezing 10 or 12 on there. I know I am making this sound more difficult that it is in the real world; but having done both, TWO partitions are worth the extra money even if you rarely ever haul a full load.

Many moons ago we would buy a new 16 ft WW every year straight from the facotry. I'ld weld a gate across the round nose so I could haul little stuff up front and not have to worry about. Sold the one year old for what I had in it and get a new one. But that was when a neighbor had kin in the town they were made and went back there every year for a reunion and hauled the trailer back for me.

dun

I recently ended up with a 24' gooseneck through a trade deal, it's the longest gooseneck I have pulled and I agree with the amount of truck it takes. It took some getting used to but is more than enough trailer for me. I'm not going to recommend a size because I think thats personal preference but I would recommend (again a personal preference) getting a gooseneck.

SCfarms":2wmvraxl said:

I'm not sure we could get 12 2,000 lb bulls in our 35' trailer, I would sure love to know how you managed to get them in a 24' trailer......hang them from the roof?

It seem like the horse owners really bid up the price of smaller used trailers. What is the typical price range in your area for a used steel 16' trailer with fair metal and a usable floor?

How much more should a used 16' aluminum trailer sell for vs. a steel trailer?

Thanks for the information.