Progression of Recovery

Help Support CattleToday:

She does look like she's coming along.. but doesn't look very happy with the halter. Funny how in all the photos she's kinda standing with her head down.

Make sure you don't leave her with that halter on that loose... she can get out of it pretty easily, and you don't want her to get it around her neck.

Yes my guess is she had a touch of calf scours which makes the hair fall off around the backside & tail
You can see the calf is starting to pick up & look much better through the progression of the photos well done :clap:

Isnt that called a Brazalian Wax TN??? :) She had scours very badly.

The halter is my smallest foal, as I havent been able to find a cow halter that doesnt look like its going to fall apart. Any suggestions? I was outside with her while she was tied..More afraid of dogs then anything..while it doesnt look ideal, it worked and at least on my place, ideal isnt something that is common. I let her drag her lead off her rope halter and she'd follow me around while I worked, but it turned into a game when it was time to go backShe was actually quite content to be outside her pen and able to graze, I took other photos, but felt this one best shows her body condition..

My husband's work has been crazy. Lots of his bosses have gone TDY, so he has to run alot of stuff, even on the weekends..so I havent been able to get Jam checked. My friends are not inclined to offer help regarding that, as the poor girl has developed some sort of a rap. you know shes big and Brangus..'nough said:)

thanks for the comments..as you know, this is my first venture into calf territory..heck, cattle territory period.

For really small calves I just make a rope halter, easy enough to make and they can grow with the calf. For calves being trained as oxen you start them when they're a week old or so so you need really tiny halters. They're also easier to get on and off cause you don;t have to mess with a buckle.

dun":3bmu13yg said:
For really small calves I just make a rope halter, easy enough to make and they can grow with the calf. For calves being trained as oxen you start them when they're a week old or so so you need really tiny halters. They're also easier to get on and off cause you don;t have to mess with a buckle.
dun
I do have a rope halter..like it alot, but the lead isnt long enough to tie her out on and there isnt a place to attach the snap on the tie out line..:(

spinandslide":1f5qq5p1 said:
dun":1f5qq5p1 said:
dun
I do have a rope halter..like it alot, but the lead isnt long enough to tie her out on and there isnt a place to attach the snap on the tie out line..:(

The rope halter I'm referring to has the rope as part of the halter, that's why it's so adjustable

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/4h/4-h104.pdf

What a difference three months makes ,she definitely is looking much better. Great job.
I really like Jam ,she's a beauty.

Dun, thats the kind I have..mabey I could make another one with a longer lead for tieing her out?

Thanks Hillsdown, its good to see her active and looking better..still not 100%, but shes coming along. Jam is a good cow, had her adjustment period, but seems pretty content and at home now.

spinandslide":17ik8sk2 said:
Dun, thats the kind I have..mabey I could make another one with a longer lead for tieing her out?

I made them with about a 6 foot lead rope and used them upto a yearling. Of course the lead rope was shorter by then but it was just for tying them while I put the yoke on then the tag end was thrown over the yoke and not used till I took the yoke off.

Latest posts