Thinking of Creep Feeding This Year

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not creep feed as (in my opinion) refers to having feed available at all time. I do have a space designated for the calves to enter and give them about 2 lbs/day of cracked corn. rate depends on pasture conditions and other factors. seems to work well for me. calved seem heavier than most calves at sale time. less stress at weaning since they are use to eating from grain trough.

I do not creep feed as (in my opinion) refers to having feed available at all time. I do have a space designated for the calves to enter and give them about 2 lbs/day of cracked corn. rate depends on pasture conditions and other factors. seems to work well for me. calved seem heavier than most calves at sale time. less stress at weaning since they are use to eating from grain trough.
I wasn't clear but I was referring to only creep feeding the calves. Was curious if I could put on pounds for less than the $2.00 a pound I hope to get in the fall. But yes the creep feeder would be available 24x7 with salt as limiter.

I normally don't, but I lost a pasture and I'm going to have to stock the rest of my pastures a little higher than usual. I think I'll creep my spring calves this year to help.

We cannot…bears. It is just not feasible where we live…can't afford to attract the attention of unwanted visitors.
I know a guy on an adjoining farm that had a bear get in his creep feeder last year. In 1 night pulled 500 lb of feed out onto the ground.
Coons make a mess with mine.
I like the idea of feeding them in a place the cows cant get into. When I was young a guy fed his calves in a stall in the barn. Calves came every day as soon as he put the feed in. When he got ready to sell he just closed the door once they were inside.

@kenny thomas ... that's what I do at the one pasture. I feed some in the barn and as soon as the calves start to come in to eat through the creep gate, they learn that when I go up there, they will get a treat in the barn and it is easy to just shut the door once they get the idea that they can eat without the cows pushing and shoving them... I feed about every 2nd or 3rd day, do not leave feed in there once they learn to come up... but I will sometimes put out some hay in the feed bunk in there also for them to munch on. Makes it so easy to catch them up and wean off as they are used to coming in to eat, and they are used to me being in there around them too...