Profit on stockers

Help Support CattleToday:

I go for 100/head net and know I won't always get that. Also don't want to loose 100/head.
The calves bought in December, early Jan have a chance to make good money this spring.
One thing about calves is if your doing 50,000 lbs lots you can buy puts on them and limit your downside.
I like running 5wt calves much much better than cows.

I prefer calves over cows but for me it's more risky, a bigger investment and feed has to be better,
Lots jockeying cattle around
If I could source a load of good calves priced to where I could turn a profit would be better but most calves I see on video auction or superiors page they have them priced to where there's not much profit in them
I really dislike sitting in the sale barn trying to buy calves
I always end up buying bargain calves or cheap bred cows
I end up with motley crew cattle that's hard to manage

Cross-7":27tn5auj said:
If I could source a load of good calves priced to where I could turn a profit would be better but most calves I see on video auction or superiors page they have them priced to where there's not much profit in them
I really dislike sitting in the sale barn trying to buy calves

If you don't enjoy the sell/buy marketing part you really should look into custom grazing.

shaz":1dm4jrbz said:
I've made 200 on some heifers a couple of years ago but that was because the market went straight up.

I did okay on a group of heifers too. My thoughts were if the market tanked, I could convert them into cows. Steers seemed to be a one way street. Do or die on steers. Less risk with the heifers yielded less profit. But it was profit. I did get nervous a few times and probably pulled the trigger to quick when I dumped them.

jedstivers":1a5f6zn8 said:
I can only get 10-20 at a time. I do have a good buyer that puts togather nice lots.
I go pick them up when he buys them.
I only like starting 20 at a time anyway.
Someone a while back who pretty much specialized in stockers said he aimed for $70.

TexasBred":14alurx3 said:
jedstivers":14alurx3 said:
I can only get 10-20 at a time. I do have a good buyer that puts togather nice lots.
I go pick them up when he buys them.
I only like starting 20 at a time anyway.
Someone a while back who pretty much specialized in stockers said he aimed for $70.
I'd say that is very realistic.
100/head net is hard to keep up. Can do it but will also have some turns that don't.

I think it was mentioned above somewhere but stockers is something where economies of scale is a big factor. I run a pretty sizable amount. That helps per head costs, makes smaller percent returns pencil better in relation to desired return to management which can assist in mitigating risk. Also, we can have buyers where the cattle are, dollar cost averaging and putting them together making money on the buy. The guy running 10,000 can exploit these things more than a guys running 1,000 and the guy running 100 hardly can at all.
I mentioned it before that I have a little different view on someone "regularly" making $300/head net. If that were true which it isn't, I would have my doubts on how good of operator they really are. My reason is, in this business, lots and lots of cash is tied up in inventory, which most certainly has a shelf life, in fact they can even die. If $150 equates to 12% net return or so, throwing caution to the wind, every time, with your entire inventory, letting that 10-15% pass you by while chasing 25% (which I should add would be 50% annualized) is reckless, unrealistic and not the conduct of a prudent businessman.
I can honestly say my single most profitable set of cattle I've ever fed in a feed yard was the product of very poor management on my part.
In late 2013 I bought 2 loads of Natural heifers in the panhandle of Texas on a Superior sale one Friday. Normally we feed Natural cattle in Colorado only. A yard where we feed Mexicans in Hereford told me they were feeding a few Naturals at their sister yard up in Spearman and convinced me to send those two loads up to try their COG etc .and save on freight as the cattle were shipping from the Marfa area. As I have said here before, we almost always use some sort of price protection or a tool to limit losses when feeding cattle. The cattle shipped, I paid for them and they went on feed. The feed bills came but they were buried in the statements from the sister yard in Hereford where we had several thousand Mexicans on feed at the time. I didn't notice any differentiation in yards on the reports (a Natural native and a commodity Mexican were feeding similar cost wise at the time, no excuse but the truth) and our bookkeeper had no reason to be looking for it. Long story short, I forgot I owned the cattle, right up until the marketing manager for the yard called on a Wednesday to say I needed to contract them based on bids that Friday to kill the next week. Most of us remember what prices did in that time period. The cattle had about $10/cwt. profit in them with the Natural premium included when I bought them. Those same cattle thanks to my negligence, premium included profited $51/cwt., or about $640/head. The money was real, so was the poor management.

Been a busy morning but been on my mind.
I can see cost averaging on purchasing
Spreading inputs cost out over a larger group of calves
Number of head ratio doesn't change but equipment, trucking and etc is spread out so the expense per calf is less

When I hear big profits on calves naturally I want to know why I'm not that and how they do it
It's one one of those deals
If you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch.
Playing with small numbers is comforting and sleep easy at night

Remember that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit

not all stockers have to be in yards, they can gain on strip grazed annual mixes, or be in yards with by products (not just the normal dsg etc)

Big is not always better or cheaper, even in yards a small old feed wagon on a few head can be cheaper than the new machine required in a large yard.

1wlimo":1xxg0a98 said:
Remember that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit

not all stockers have to be in yards, they can gain on strip grazed annual mixes, or be in yards with by products (not just the normal dsg etc)

Big is not always better or cheaper, even in yards a small old feed wagon on a few head can be cheaper than the new machine required in a large yard.
We are talking about stockers out on grass.

Latest posts