Pricing 2nd Calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

H and H

Reaction score
I need some advice, I have 24 head of 3 year old 2nd calvers that I listed on CL to test the waters. I listed them right after the first of the year at 2300 and did not get a lot of response. I took the price off and added some pics, the phone has been ringing pretty consistently and I have had some decent offers. If I ask 2300 the interest wanes. It seems like at 2100, they will be gone tomorrow.

However, 1st calvers at the salebarn have skyrocketted. 1225# top end commercial heifers sold for $2800 last Wednesday. 2300-2400 is pretty common asking price (private)/sales price (barn) for anything over 1000#. I am going to weigh a trailer load tomorrow, they are a solid 1175-1200+# and grazing corn stalks, w/prairie hay free choice/salt/mineral. I am realistic and know these are not the same caliber as the 2800 1st calvers - what is a 'normal' premium for a 2nd calver over similar quality 1st calver?

There is a fella coming over in the morning willing to take them all at 2100 - I kind of feel like I am leaving some money on the table. That being said, I'd rather not take a chance with going to the barn and having a blizzard/weak sale.

Thanks

I figure those guys are looking to turn'em
They see potential profit
I'd put them on the cattlerange.com or superior country page

Therein lies the rub, I have all kinds of market data on 1st calvers - 2.30/lb will get most of them.

I have't seen any 2nd calvers listed, or come through the ring, and don't know where to price them at. There is normally a premium for 2nds, if I price them per pound at 2.30 - it comes to 2645 - 2760 per head. That is crazy, I don't know that I can ask for that with a straight face.

H and H said:
I am realistic and know these are not the same caliber as the 2800 1st calvers - what is a 'normal' premium for a 2nd calver over similar quality 1st calver? quote]

We don't see lot of 2nd calvers unless they are poor mothers. ;-)
Yes - - per pound is crazy. You need to think per head -- not per pound - - when making this comparison.
I don't know your market but the sales barn should. Call them and get an on site estimate.

Price for 2nd calvers shouldn't be much less than bred heifers. These are of course, the worthy, that have proven themselves that they can bring home a calf as big as any other cow in the herd. If an average 1st is 2800, and an average 2nd is 2100, you are leaving money on the table. I'd say 2300, at least.

Cross and Denver - thanks for reminding me about cattle range, I had completely forgotten about that site. I also talked to the manager at the sale barn where I bought them as yearlings, he was familiar with the ranch that they came from and let me know that they should bring ~$2400 pretty easily, maybe more depending on their condition. It was clear that this guy was trying to lowball me and I had data to back it up when getting into negotiations.

JS - I am in NE Nebraska.

Thanks again for all the info, CT may have just made me a couple grand (if I can get them sold).

H and H":2t7jl087 said:
I need some advice, I have 24 head of 3 year old 2nd calvers that I listed on CL to test the waters. I listed them right after the first of the year at 2300 and did not get a lot of response. I took the price off and added some pics, the phone has been ringing pretty consistently and I have had some decent offers. If I ask 2300 the interest wanes. It seems like at 2100, they will be gone tomorrow.

However, 1st calvers at the salebarn have skyrocketted. 1225# top end commercial heifers sold for $2800 last Wednesday. 2300-2400 is pretty common asking price (private)/sales price (barn) for anything over 1000#. I am going to weigh a trailer load tomorrow, they are a solid 1175-1200+# and grazing corn stalks, w/prairie hay free choice/salt/mineral. I am realistic and know these are not the same caliber as the 2800 1st calvers - what is a 'normal' premium for a 2nd calver over similar quality 1st calver?

There is a fella coming over in the morning willing to take them all at 2100 - I kind of feel like I am leaving some money on the table. That being said, I'd rather not take a chance with going to the barn and having a blizzard/weak sale.

Thanks

I suspect cattle buyers looking to re-sell them. I do not blame them one bit - they have to make a living as well.

Personally I figure Aaron to be pretty much on the money from a Canadian perspective. Not too sure how things will run on your side of the border - bet it is close despite the difference in our dollars.

I figure we had best enjoy this while we can because sometime in the future it will come down - probab;y faster than the prices went up.

If sale barn prices are good then just ship them unless someone meets your price at the door.

Cheers

Bez

Good cattle n my area have been selling better at the sale barn than anywhere else. So much easier to go that route too. If u bought them there as yearlings then they should say that when u sell them and I'm sure u have all there vacs up to date as well. Our sale barn owner is a heck of a talker and sure can help u get the most $$. Especially on a nice uniform group.

We haven't sold many bred cows, but our bred heifers bring $2300.00 each. I think that you should keep the price at $2300 each if you aren't desperate to get them off of your property.

You might have left money on the table but you better sell them at $2100 if that's what you advertised. Perhaps a picture at $2300 would have gotten more calls,too. There's lots of "good cows" on Craig's list and similar sites, that people don't even bother calling about them without seeing a picture. I've seen ads on Craig's list for 2 years, with the same pictures, but different prices every time. It's probably just a buyer, peddling his crap, but the pictures sure look like good cows.

It pencils out. If they have a quality replacement heifer, they carry her over a winter a breed her. Sell her for $2000 no problem. Net $1700. She pays for herself by her second calf. If her calves aren't breeding quality raise them for beef and direct market the beef. She pays for herself in about 3 calves. If she has a good bull calf you can sell him for $2000 and she will be making money for you by the time her third calf hits the ground.

Stocker Steve":3vq99i96 said:
Backbone Ranch":3vq99i96 said:
We haven't sold many bred cows, but our bred heifers bring $2300.00 each.

Does that pencil out for someone, or are don't they care?

If these calf/yearling prices stayed up for about 5 years, maybe. But otherwise, I think you know the answer.

Most profitable animal I ever bought was a lone bred 1100 lb heifer, out of a package, in 2005, for $795.00. Managed to catch the upswing on the market a year and half later and sell her first yearling steer for $755.00. She's still in the herd today.

Steve - I had a long post in another thread about why I decided to list them.

Essentially boils down to: at $2000+, I can net the same money selling the cows now as I can selling the calves off of them over the next three years. So to me, no it doesn't pencil out to pay this kind of money for breds if you are selling feeders.

Up here if comeing 3 is of comparible quality she will bring more than a bred heifer and should. The gamble is just about gone on a second calver as the calving issue is pretty well solved, raised a calf and fertile enough to breed back, has nearly reached maature size. Have seen them outsell heifers[if they are good]for $3--4 hundred. In short they are just ready to go to work and make money.

My cousin had a small group of 3's and a big bunch of bred heifers and the 3's brought $2200 in January and the bred hfrs. averaged 1775 a week later. Same quality and feed program. Like Beef Man said you got the first calf down and got rebred which is usually the hardest for us.

Latest posts