I think I am pricing cattle too cheap!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This weekend, I had a dude come by and offered to buy all the 1/2 Corr 1/2 Ang heifers we will have this year. Said he wants to get a herd of these and breed them to beef bulls every year. He thinks he can build a herd that will produce good calves for a lot less money than buying beef cows and heifers. I told him that it wouldn't be like raising calves off Corriente cows, that he would have the same input and labor that he would if he had an all-beef herd. He said he knows that, so how much do I want for the heifers at weaning. I told him they will wean at 6 mos at 450 lbs average. And today, the black ones that size would bring $2.50 at the right sale., The off-colored ones would still likely be $2. I told him that black Corr cows sell for $750 or so, and off-colored would be $600 or more. He said, " Well, those heifers may bring that , or they may bring more, or if the market corrects, they may bring less". ( Like I didn't know that). So I told him we had a lot of cattle to work and move today. so what did he want to offer? He said " $850 a head at weaning, and I want them all...black or colored, horns or no". So I get down off my horses, shook his hand and said "sold". Told him the first ones we would wean 1st of July.

Then today, I am watching an auction in Arkansas, and they ran some straight Corriente heifers through, one at a time. They were 400 weights. 383 on the smallest and 465 on the heaviest. All spotted too, no black or any solids in the bunch. They brought from $2.15 to $2.65/cwt. I would assume half breeds would have brought even more? I started 2nd guessing myself, that I had sold too cheap. Then I thought how I had paid $420 a head for their mommas, including the pairs. The black, polled ones would have brought $2.80 - $3 or more today, but who knows what they will bring in July and after? But, I am getting twice what I paid for their mommas, and won't have to fool with carrying them to a sale each month.

I was having some seller's remorse for a while today about selling the Plummer pairs as well. I can only imagine what people who do this full time, as their only means of making a living, are going through in these times.

Last edited:
sounds like you will make a good profit at that price plus save you the time and expense on hauling them to the sale barn. He probable glad you didn't counter offer with $900/head, so it seems to me it is a win win for both sides.

I think he was in the right place at the right time. And so were you!
He did make me the offer.. He priced them. I just felt bad because it will be 2 years after he gets them before he has a calf to sell. Today, the black polled ones would bring at least $2.50 a pound, probably closer to $3. And the other colored and horned ones, would bring at least $2 a pound. They gonna be between 400 and 450 when weaned. If he wanted to buy them to sell, he would probably make money on them. But he is going to raise them to be brood cows, so he is going to tie up over $50k, buying these 60 or so heifers. I gave $42,000 for the herd, so I now have nothing in the cows and the steer calves. Yeah, I could have done better selling them myself at weaning, but a bird in the hand, etc....

Different story on the Plummers. When I got them last year, I sold the 22 claves for a little over $1000 more than I gave for the pairs. So I had nothing in them. They have all calved by the same bull as last year. The heifers all weighed over 600, and the steers weighed 725 to one that weighed 755. The same man said he'd give $2.20/lb for this year's heifers when weaned in July, and $2.45 for the steers. These calves this year will weigh that or more, The cows have had a lot better nutrition since we got them. Those cows weighed an average of 1800 lbs when I got them, and probably are closer to 1900 now. So Pedro wanted to buy the cows, and I told him I would sell them in July for $3k each. But, he wanted to be breeding them in March - April. So, I told him he could buy the pairs now for $4500 ( a couple months ago). He said he didn't have that kind of money right now. I told him about the standing offer from Clay's boss...that he could sell the calves at weaning and they'd bring anywhere from $1320 each for the smallest heifers , to $1800 for the biggest steers. But he said he couldn't. He wanted to go ahead and pay me the $3k, take the herd, and bring the calves back to me in July. I didn't much want to do that. I told him he could buy the cows now, and we'd put them on the old dove field, and he could bring his bull there til they were all bred, but they would be $3100 each instead of $3k. So, we traded on that. Then last week he told me he was coming to get his bull out, and was bringing me the balance of $4500 a head. I feel like I just sold those guaranteed $1300-$1800 calves for $1400 each. And 12 or 13 of them were steers! So, I lost about $4800- $5200 more, that I would have made if I sold them myself. I should have put this on the " stupidest thing I ever did" thread. I should have told him they were $1500 more, not $1400, since we had already made a deal at $3100 a head for the cows. But he gave me a check for $99k, on a herd I had nothing in, and had made a little over $1k on the last year. But, one stay in the hospital or one open heart surgery, etc. , could wipe out $100k in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
I am not sure, Little Joe. There were two Arkansas sales going on at the same time. One was in a town called Damascus, I think, and I don't remember where the other one was.
Damascus has quite a few criollo cattle. They advertised on Facebook that they were going to have fresh roping stock yesterday. I'm not too far from them, I've bought a few cows there although I've never been in the barn, had the owner buy for me and one of his guys delivered them. I didn't realize they streamed their sale, what site was that on?

Damascus has quite a few criollo cattle. They advertised on Facebook that they were going to have fresh roping stock yesterday. I'm not too far from them, I've bought a few cows there although I've never been in the barn, had the owner buy for me and one of his guys delivered them. I didn't realize they streamed their sale, what site was that on?
dvauction.com

This weekend, I had a dude come by and offered to buy all the 1/2 Corr 1/2 Ang heifers we will have this year. Said he wants to get a herd of these and breed them to beef bulls every year. He thinks he can build a herd that will produce good calves for a lot less money than buying beef cows and heifers. I told him that it wouldn't be like raising calves off Corriente cows, that he would have the same input and labor that he would if he had an all-beef herd. He said he knows that, so how much do I want for the heifers at weaning. I told him they will wean at 6 mos at 450 lbs average. And today, the black ones that size would bring $2.50 at the right sale., The off-colored ones would still likely be $2. I told him that black Corr cows sell for $750 or so, and off-colored would be $600 or more. He said, " Well, those heifers may bring that , or they may bring more, or if the market corrects, they may bring less". ( Like I didn't know that). So I told him we had a lot of cattle to work and move today. so what did he want to offer? He said " $850 a head at weaning, and I want them all...black or colored, horns or no". So I get down off my horses, shook his hand and said "sold". Told him the first ones we would wean 1st of July.

Then today, I am watching an auction in Arkansas, and they ran some straight Corriente heifers through, one at a time. They were 400 weights. 383 on the smallest and 465 on the heaviest. All spotted too, no black or any solids in the bunch. They brought from $2.15 to $2.65/cwt. I would assume half breeds would have brought even more? I started 2nd guessing myself, that I had sold too cheap. Then I thought how I had paid $420 a head for their mommas, including the pairs. The black, polled ones would have brought $2.80 - $3 or more today, but who knows what they will bring in July and after? But, I am getting twice what I paid for their mommas, and won't have to fool with carrying them to a sale each month.

I was having some seller's remorse for a while today about selling the Plummer pairs as well. I can only imagine what people who do this full time, as their only means of making a living, are going through in these times.
You made a good buy on those cattle, and may have priced the calves cheap.
I bought 3 corriente pairs with good calves on them a while back, the calves are polled and are growing good, we're expecting to get $1k for the calves once they hit our target weight close to 500 lbs, we gave $3,025.00 for the lot.

You made a good buy on those cattle, and may have priced the calves cheap.
I bought 3 corriente pairs with good calves on them a while back, the calves are polled and are growing good, we're expecting to get $1k for the calves once they hit our target weight close to 500 lbs, we gave $3,025.00 for the lot.
Yep. Those first calves gonna pay for the cows. You gonna have $25 in three Corrientes. $8.33 each. And next year's calves will be sheer profit. What kinda bull you breeding them back to?

The calves are coming along good, this is the only steer, the two heifers aren't far behind.

I get a kick out of seeing those Corr cows nursing a calf that is as big ( or bigger) they are! We bred some to a ChiAngus a couple of years back, and I saw calves kneeling to nurse! How old is this calf?

Watched the Mexican cattle auction in New Mexico again yesterday. Usually they only sell heifers and steers in the 400 range to the 600 range. Hardly ever a 300 weight, unless it is like 398. And once in a blue moon there may be some that average 705 or so. But yesterday, they had heifers in the 800s, 90oss and saw one set of bwf that averaged 1005/lbs sell for $1.53. Commercial Angus cows and registered Simm bulls. They started the sale 2 hours early because they said there was a bad drought in Chihuahua, and they were getting flooded with cows. a couple of NM and a Tx ranch sold yesterday, too. Having so many didn't hurt the prices much, though. There was a pen of 436 lb heifers, (I think there was 22), that were out of Corr cows by reg Angus bulls. They brought $2.54...$1107.00 each! And I had made that deal with the dude last week to buy all of ours for $850 a head at weaning!!!

When they are announcing the info about each group, I hear all the time that they have had 10-way and 11-way vaccs. Wonder what all is in those, that isn't in the combo vaccs here??

Watched the Mexican cattle auction in New Mexico again yesterday. Usually they only sell heifers and steers in the 400 range to the 600 range. Hardly ever a 300 weight, unless it is like 398. And once in a blue moon there may be some that average 705 or so. But yesterday, they had heifers in the 800s, 90oss and saw one set of bwf that averaged 1005/lbs sell for $1.53. Commercial Angus cows and registered Simm bulls. They started the sale 2 hours early because they said there was a bad drought in Chihuahua, and they were getting flooded with cows. a couple of NM and a Tx ranch sold yesterday, too. Having so many didn't hurt the prices much, though. There was a pen of 436 lb heifers, (I think there was 22), that were out of Corr cows by reg Angus bulls. They brought $2.54...$1107.00 each! And I had made that deal with the dude last week to buy all of ours for $850 a head at weaning!!!

When they are announcing the info about each group, I hear all the time that they have had 10-way and 11-way vaccs. Wonder what all is in those, that isn't in the combo vaccs here??
Triangle 10 , has 5 or 6 strains Lepto, BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV, ... No pasturella, no vibrio, no somnus... and none have any of the clostridiums..(blackleg)... so it would be easy to see how they could have higher numbers... I imagine the 10 and 11 ways have vibrio and somnus and possibly a pasturella

Latest posts