Prices are good

Help Support CattleToday:

Hay now.....
They are easy to feed for some situations!
I always like to have some small square bales available. Usually feed them to calves in the barn during weaning, and then sometimes tractors breakdown, or have a deep snow or ice and can't get rolled hay out. Some square bales are just good to have on hand

Sold some calves yesterday to feed yard. Heifers averaged 425lbs and brought $1.50lb and strs averaged 545lbs and brought $1.60 ... Certainly not the best price Ive seen, but certainly hope the price will stay around there as I will sell the rest of my calves in two weeks. I kinda expect the calf market to drop in the coming weeks when more pot loads hit the market. I also think those that can weather the drought and keep cows #s up should see a good calf market in 2022. But then again if I was smart and could forecast the future I wouldn't be in the cattle business..🙃

I did it for years and it suited the situation. Now I dread the thought of ever going back.
We went to round bales early in my lifetime. We only would put hay out when it got really cold and nasty. I was only old enough to drive. We have a decent size hay barn with the square windows to pitch them in from the side. I remember my dad and uncles filing it up right to the gate. The tricky part was getting them out. They use to stack them up to the rafters, then stack them weird in between them above that. Those were the ones you had to watch for. 😄 I got big enough to stack one year and was not much help. The next year we started using round bales.

Sold some calves yesterday to feed yard. Heifers averaged 425lbs and brought $1.50lb and strs averaged 545lbs and brought $1.60 ... Certainly not the best price Ive seen, but certainly hope the price will stay around there as I will sell the rest of my calves in two weeks. I kinda expect the calf market to drop in the coming weeks when more pot loads hit the market. I also think those that can weather the drought and keep cows #s up should see a good calf market in 2022. But then again if I was smart and could forecast the future I wouldn't be in the cattle business..🙃

I'm contemplating weaning on Tuesday and holding over the winter for the first time in eons this year. I've got more grass than I know what to do with. Moving to fall calving so I won't have but a couple of calves over the next month or so and shouldn't have anything except a straggler next spring. Turning the bulls in around Thanksgiving so no major calving until next fall.

Latest posts