Prices are good

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heifers sitting in the trailer in my drive way right now as I wait for my son to get out of school. We are in the 105 feels like temp. A little ear goes a long way. Our Angus and Hereford bulls are probably sitting under a tree panting like a dog who just chased a car. 😄

Your shrink when it is that hot will run over 10% unless they have a day to refill with fresh water. You won't have to clean out the trailer though if you buy some to take home.

I just got back from the barn. Great looking black steers (3) and heifers (4) weaned almost 60 days with shots

Avg. weight 525
Avg. price $143.93

Best price $153 for a 490# steer
Got $130 for 690# heifer

Man it is hot and humid. Heat index at 108. One guy brought in a load of 26 calves. Most laying on their side, 2 dead.
Those prices are about like around here. I saw a semi loaded a few days ago in a long extended road construction wait in the middle of the day. I felt for those cattle as they probably had a long trip ahead and some want make it.

Cull cows are slipping a little due to lots of cows from the NW drought being shipped in. If they keep coming in there might be some deals to be had on one and dones if you have the grass.
I've got a pretty good jag of 30ish 400 pound calves scattered around.
I'm kinda thinking about selling them early while things are good. I sure expect calves to soften in a month or so.
Prices are going to plummet come November . I know a huge producer in Eastern Oregon will be dumping 4000 head then. I pay $120 ton for good hay usually. This year everyone was shortly half. I had to look for a 25 ton load of South East Oregon feeder alfalfa that is costing me 275 a ton delivered. Glad I jumped on it when I could because the guy sold out over 1000 ton in 2 days. I can find no more hay out here. I will have to supplement really crappy hay with this to make it through to April when we can get back on pasture. At least I won't be loosing half my little herd amd neither will my neighbor. I guess momma is getting a new kitchen for the irrigated hay farmers, maybe new trucks.

Prices are going to plummet come November . I know a huge producer in Eastern Oregon will be dumping 4000 head then. I pay $120 ton for good hay usually. This year everyone was shortly half. I had to look for a 25 ton load of South East Oregon feeder alfalfa that is costing me 275 a ton delivered. Glad I jumped on it when I could because the guy sold out over 1000 ton in 2 days. I can find no more hay out here. I will have to supplement really crappy hay with this to make it through to April when we can get back on pasture. At least I won't be loosing half my little herd amd neither will my neighbor. I guess momma is getting a new kitchen for the irrigated hay farmers, maybe new trucks.
Hay over here is $200-225 when you can find it. You are probably a $50 haul from SE Oregon. Hay production even under pivots is off this year. A lot of acres of meadow grass never even got cut it was so poor. When things get into short supply the price goes up. I sure wouldn't want to run out of hay in February because by then there just wont be any available at any price.

I have heifers sitting in the trailer in my drive way right now as I wait for my son to get out of school. We are in the 105 feels like temp. A little ear goes a long way. Our Angus and Hereford bulls are probably sitting under a tree panting like a dog who just chased a car. 😄
Good to know we have Texas weather. Mid 90's and high humidity here. Stupid high humidity. Guess that's what you get in a subtropical climate.

Hay over here is $200-225 when you can find it. You are probably a $50 haul from SE Oregon. Hay production even under pivots is off this year. A lot of acres of meadow grass never even got cut it was so poor. When things get into short supply the price goes up. I sure wouldn't want to run out of hay in February because by then there just wont be any available at any price.
35 a ton to haul but it is figured in to the price.

About the same here.
Many are chopping corn to "save" beef cows that are not profitable with current forage costs.
I thought good prices mean a profit?

Last edited: