Prices are good

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Caught some red and white steers that were 7 mo old off their mommas last week. They avg a little over #600 and brought and brought like 1.48 avg. The high was a nickle more for that weight class.

I was very happy with that. Hopefully the prices hold up. We have some more that will be ready in 2 months. Even with all the grass it was hard not to put them on the trailer any ways.

Caught some red and white steers that were 7 mo old off their mommas last week. They avg a little over #600 and brought and brought like 1.48 avg. The high was a nickle more for that weight class.

I was very happy with that. Hopefully the prices hold up. We have some more that will be ready in 2 months. Even with all the grass it was hard not to put them on the trailer any ways.
Cull cows are slipping a little due to lots of cows from the NW drought being shipped in. If they keep coming in there might be some deals to be had on one and dones if you have the grass.
I've got a pretty good jag of 30ish 400 pound calves scattered around.
I'm kinda thinking about selling them early while things are good. I sure expect calves to soften in a month or so.

Cull cows are slipping a little due to lots of cows from the NW drought being shipped in. If they keep coming in there might be some deals to be had on one and dones if you have the grass.
I've got a pretty good jag of 30ish 400 pound calves scattered around.
I'm kinda thinking about selling them early while things are good. I sure expect calves to soften in a month or so.
I agree. Sale numbers are low. People are holding calves letting them get big with all the grass IMO. They will all dump them at the first sign of cool weather and definitely before deer season.

#400s were like 210... 228 last week. Cant beat that. Let the cows get big and fat this fall going in to winter.

I saw a deal saying cold and wet winter for Texas this year.

Good prices compared to what?
We just came out of a bad 2 year drought where calves were weaned at 5 months for half that price and we had feed costs and water costs and all kinds of other bills against them.

$900 for a calf straight off his momma on grass is a good day in my book. We can make that work.

500 weight calves are hot here right now. Watched a friend's go through last Wed and he got $1460/h (CAD) - approx $1150 US) for a group of steers at around 575lbs. Hard to know what to do - I read there could be explosive increases in prices in the next 2-6 months. Are guys getting out ahead of it buying these calves now or is it stupid not to sell them all right away? Guess we'll see.

I
500 weight calves are hot here right now. Watched a friend's go through last Wed and he got $1460/h (CAD) - approx $1150 US) for a group of steers at around 575lbs. Hard to know what to do - I read there could be explosive increases in prices in the next 2-6 months. Are guys getting out ahead of it buying these calves now or is it stupid not to sell them all right away? Guess we'll see.
It's kind of like the stock market to me. I'm glad all our calves arent ready all at once and I would have to decide. LoL I sold some last week for a win. I'll sell some more when they are ready in a few weeks and so on until winter. Hopefully each sale will bring the avg up. Like the stock market, you can never go wrong selling for profit.

I

It's kind of like the stock market to me. I'm glad all our calves arent ready all at once and I would have to decide. LoL I sold some last week for a win. I'll sell some more when they are ready in a few weeks and so on until winter. Hopefully each sale will bring the avg up. Like the stock market, you can never go wrong selling for profit.
He said to me after he hopes it was a big mistake taking them in because he has a couple hundred that he weaned and put on feed because of lack of pasture that he can't sell yet.Then he was complaining already by yesterday because futures went up limit. Can't make a farmer happy, lol.

If you can spread selling through the run it's hard to miss and you're right it's better if you don't have to agonize about it.

Oregon sale reports sure don't reflect that. Maybe I'm missing something. ?
Which sales reports? There is a big difference between the market in western and eastern Oregon. I was sitting in La Grande earlier this month and 600 steers brought $1.70. I even posted about it on CT because the buyers cut out some longhorn cross calves. That same day I saw 800 pound steers bring $1.50+. Last week the report from Vale had the top on 6 weights over $1.60.

Dave, your market is about like the OKC market which runs about .10 to .15 above the local sales. My steers weighed 685 average for the group and brought $1.60 when I sold them up there two weeks ago. As usual they were average pre-conditioned calves and brought the average price. The good thing was that the groupl only lost 48 lbs from weigh up on Thursday to shipping on Saturday, to selling on Monday around lunch.

Which sales reports? There is a big difference between the market in western and eastern Oregon. I was sitting in La Grande earlier this month and 600 steers brought $1.70. I even posted about it on CT because the buyers cut out some longhorn cross calves. That same day I saw 800 pound steers bring $1.50+. Last week the report from Vale had the top on 6 weights over $1.60.
I was referring to the average. Which I think is a fair representative of brutes trailer weaned calf's that he mentioned. A group of 600 weaned calf's would be a different deal..no?

I missed the description in the OP. I just saw the average price and that the top was a nickle more. Here calves that are "1/4 ear, R&W with some even striping a little, going straight off the momma." wouldn't average 70 cents. Comparing apples to apples you done real good.

I just got back from the barn. Great looking black steers (3) and heifers (4) weaned almost 60 days with shots

Avg. weight 525
Avg. price $143.93

Best price $153 for a 490# steer
Got $130 for 690# heifer

Man it is hot and humid. Heat index at 108. One guy brought in a load of 26 calves. Most laying on their side, 2 dead.

I just got back from the barn. Great looking black steers (3) and heifers (4) weaned almost 60 days with shots

Avg. weight 525
Avg. price $143.93

Best price $153 for a 490# steer
Got $130 for 690# heifer

Man it is hot and humid. Heat index at 108. One guy brought in a load of 26 calves. Most laying on their side, 2 dead.
I don't understand hauling cattle in that kind of heat.