price to charge for slaughter beef

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I fed out some steers last year and should have kept better records on what i had in them at slaughter. I have an angus steer thats going to market wednesday morning and I'm thinking $1.50 per pound on the hoof. Does this sound about right? He's around 1100 pounds and should be very tasty. I had told a fellow at work about maybe halfing him but will not mind if we keep all to ourselves.

around here 80-90 cts pound on hoof and around 1.40 hanging weight

Is he going to market or to slaughter. Guessing slaughter when you talked about halving him or keeping him. Wish you could just set any ol' price like that. :D Way it works is buyer pays market price the day it goes to the locker. Then pays for the butcher bill. Cut these prices in half if the other guy is only buying half a beef. You need to weigh the critter before you take it to the locker. Could add on half the cost of delivery if you wanted to account for everything. We usually don't. We set theirs to go same day as ours and figure we'd be making the trip anyway.

rc":2pbw3rq9 said:
I fed out some steers last year and should have kept better records on what i had in them at slaughter. I have an angus steer thats going to market wednesday morning and I'm thinking $1.50 per pound on the hoof. Does this sound about right? He's around 1100 pounds and should be very tasty. I had told a fellow at work about maybe halfing him but will not mind if we keep all to ourselves.

I have some I'll sell for $1.50 a pound on hoof. :shock: Way high. Look in the paper and see what fat cattle are selling for, and that's your fair price on hoof. I've never considered adding the haul bill to the locker since the market price includes hauling them to the salebarn. We typically sell by hanging weight adjusted to live weight prices. Most people figure around 60% yield so market price of .85 divided by .6 gives you $1.41 hanging weight price. Our cattle yield well so we benefit without the buyer getting a raw deal: They pay for what they get and we get paid for the meat we raise.

We are licesned to sell beef by the peice. We also sell many quarters, halves, and whole animals. We pay the processing bill and charge our customers $2.10 for a quarter. $2.00 for a half. $1.90 for a whole. The beef is guarnteed to have no growth hormones or antibiotics. We never seem to have a problem selling it. Maybe it is just the area we are in. Good luck.

hey guys don't let any of my customers see your prices on processed beef please!!!
got a small custom fed lot here in az. professional usda inspected butcher!!
99% of mine go out as select or prime!
am charging $3.00 a pound , cut wraped frozen and delivered based on the hanging weight only custom cut (you specify) 1/2 or whole sometime a 1/4 but every one wants the rear 1/4 so i end uo with the front quarter.
all are sold on a prior commitment! grain fed 120 to 180 days..
i figure on a 40% loss hoof to hanging!!
i have repeat customers for thae past 6 yrs and 3 of them have a standing 6 month order for a 1/2.
must be doing something right!!!!
need to understand that there are few places around here that sell whole or 1/2 s that dont junk up their beef with all the growth stimulants (i don't) a good selling point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i do not nor can i ever claim to be all natural because i have to buy feed , but i can and do (legally) claim that my beef is non implanted for growth. no stimulants or pesticides (hay and feed i buy is from a local farmer who sells hay and such as CLEAN he has an excellent reputation
also i think it depends on where the market is.
no way i could get $3.00 a lb at my place in oklahoma!! too many competitors! :) :) :) :)

Some around these parts charge 4.25 a pound cut and wrapped for that kind of beef. Usually, it's a mixed 1/2 or 1/2. but natural or salad bar beef gets big money from the health conscious monied floks.

We try to charge enough of a premium where either the customer doesn't think it would be worth it and passes, or they still want the beef and we do think it's worth it. Another way to put it is that we don't sell many that way.

Craig-TX

rc":nd42jc14 said:

If you can call them "natural" beef, then you should be able to 1.50 per pound live weight.

That's about what I would call fair. I think though that this time I'll keep it all to ourselves. I had a few small roasts left from the last one that I put on the grill yesterday after marinating them. I cooked them slow just like steak and man were they good. Another advantage of raising your own.

We sell shares in live cattle that our customers buy in advance of slaughter and broker the slaughter and cut & wrap. We have our butcher divide a half at cutting so that each 1/4th partner gets equil amounts of the north and south end of the steer.... We sell finished steers for $1.25 and get $2.00 per pound on the rail...with the price of replacements these days that price will most likely change with the winter or early spring processing. We have trouble finishing our cattle fast enough and have had to buy from friends to fill orders...word of mouth, nothing else has sold our beef. Love them Baldies!

Latest posts