Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What's a premises ID

• Don't plan on it, governement doesn't need to know

• Total voters
Everybody might as well go ahead and suck it up and do. ;-)

9 ER":39mquhan said:
What is it?

The premises id is the first step towards the Animal ID program that's going to end up mandatory in a couple of years.
You can go to this link and start to find out all about it

http://usaip.info/

dun

They are not available yet in Montana and won't be for months- maybe next year.....The Ag Dept is doing a pilot program with about 50 producers to see how well it will work........

But that said Montana is still months, if not years, ahead of many states on ID and tracking-- we already have a very competent brand inspection system to track and ID cattle thru out the state--and with that we already have the infrastructure in place to adapt to whatever ID system is developed-- Some states have nothing.........

We don't have a premesis ID in SD yet either, but if we are BQA certified we are to use our BQA number as a premesis ID number 'till everyone else figures out what is going on.

The state ag types look blank when you mention premise ID here in Maine. I have seen no state plan to implement premise ID's or serious discussion for that matter

At least the No answers have finally passed the the Huh answers.

dun

As far as I know, Va. hasn't gotten them yet. My understanding is, at least in Va., the whole system will be in effect by summer of 2006. I believe they will begin issuing (to those of us who sign up) the premise ID numbers this spring. At present they are working out the "system" they are going to use as far as premise ID numbers go. Once we are given our Premise ID, we then can go to the local extension agent and request however many tags we will need (when they become available). I have planned to "sign up" for the premise ID this spring. If all goes as planned, an extension agent will be coming to the farm where I work to get "them" signed up, and show us how to do it online (there are several of us there who would like to just get it done and over with...beat the rush so to speak).

I've looked at the website and I just cant see this being implemented on a national level. Possibly here in the U.S. and Canada, but are the other countries going to agree to this? I see money as the biggest obstacle as in all things.
If the federal gov't and industry is gonna pay a good bit of the bill here, who is gonna pay the rest.....state, local, ranchers? There are still a lot of questions to be answered. Software? Ear tags or electronic devices? Device Readers? $$$$$$?

who is gonna pay the rest.....state, local, ranchers? There are still a lot of questions to be answered. Software? Ear tags or electronic devices? Device Readers? $$$$$$?

9 ER, what little I know at this point for Va., we the animal owners will pay for the "tags". At this point the approximate cost per tag is $2.50 a piece. The "plan" at this point, is the tags will be a button type of tag, with a number in small print on the face of the tag. It will be an electronic tag to be "read" by some type of scanning device. This tag will give the animal a permanent ID number for the life of that animal. When the animal changes hands it still retains it's number but the name of the owner is changed and recorded as such. (like transfering registration papers).
There are still so many logistical details to be worked out, I don't see how this whole thing can get up and running in the near future. Somewhere along the line the costs for all the scanning devices, software and record keeping will probably come from us, the animal producers in the form of increased "stockyard" fees, taxes who knows how.

Latest posts