NAIS Premises ID

Help Support CattleToday:

It's the worst idea ever concieved! They're also requiring it with reptiles. Imagine a 6 inch baby snake being inserted with the microchip that's 1 to 2 inches long! They also are requiring you to register chickens..whomever registers their chickens? It is the goal of the PETA and HSUS people to eliminate people from owning animals and making it so much work we sooner or later will get rid of the said animal. In Texas it is going to be mandatory in 2008 and if not then your animals will be seized and where will the money to pay for all of this come from? YOUR pockets!

I'm getting mad over this. The government DOESN'T have the right to tell you what animals to keep and whether to microchip them, etc. Wake up people!

Ted

TedH71":mmma53a2 said:
It's the worst idea ever concieved! They're also requiring it with reptiles. Imagine a 6 inch baby snake being inserted with the microchip that's 1 to 2 inches long! They also are requiring you to register chickens..whomever registers their chickens? It is the goal of the PETA and HSUS people to eliminate people from owning animals and making it so much work we sooner or later will get rid of the said animal. In Texas it is going to be mandatory in 2008 and if not then your animals will be seized and where will the money to pay for all of this come from? YOUR pockets!

I'm getting mad over this. The government DOESN'T have the right to tell you what animals to keep and whether to microchip them, etc. Wake up people!

Ted

It pains me to say this Ted, but Yes they do. If the government can take a homes and other property wether you like or not , they can take your animals. I am with you on this one.

Scotty

They're not going to take your animals, unless they're sick. If you don't want to identify them, that will be your business. But somewhere in the future, non identified animals will not go for human consumption. They'll be dog feed, if you're lucky. The market will weed those people out who don't want to participate in animal ID.

I heard a presentation in Texas a few weeks ago and he said the animals didn't have to be identified until they entered the marketing chain. When you take them to the sale barn, they can be tagged there. But he wasn't clear on how they would go about verifying the calves were born on your place or who would pay for it.

It's supposed to become mandatory in 2008 across the US, not just Texas.

my dogs are microchipped -
the plan is if they get lost they can be reunited with me easier -
the chip is the size of a piece of rice that was inserted with a needle (good size needle) but the puppy didn't even flinch.

it is standard practice for the chip to be placed between the dogs shoulders and the readers are supposed to be standardized so that in any part of the country your dogs ID is readable. The reader is about as big around as a ping pong paddle and about 1 1/2 inches thick. The ID # shows on a little screen.

I see something like this being could be used on the cattle - much more secure than an ear tag - picked an ear tag up in the pasture just today...

The meeting I went to was put on in part by a sale barn. They said they would be more than happy to tag and sorce the animals. They also stated as of now they would impose a deadline for animals not tagged. Meaning if the sale is on Sat., Friday would be the last day to arrive if not tagged. For a nominal fee of course.

Scotty

TedH71":3sgz9u4o said:

Ted
Ted, you're really out there, aren't you? Has nothing to do with microchips, as far as cattle are concerned. And as far as baby snakes are concerned, who really cares? Calm down and read some more.

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_id/index.shtml

I am in Tennessee adn since we buy, trade and show our cattle I am glad. We will have a way to keep honest people honest the ones who aren't honest make them that way. How often do you buy a cow or calf or any livestock for that matter, get one home and find out they have an infectious disease? Maybe not that often but one can set you back a fortune. This program will eliminate those people trying to get rid of their stock in a sale barn and you not know til it is to late.

I like it because if we all do it it will save a lot of paper work later. They will have grants to help off set the cost, but you have to attend classes and get qualified and certified. You can share buying chips with other farms.

Yes it will be costly for a lot of cattlemen but if we all want good herds I am all for it. We are trying to get into classes for our farm. Here in Giles County they already have a farm or two that are trying it and they say its not as bad as you would expect. Call your local extension office and get more details from them as they know the farms in your area maybe you can visit with one.

mdmdogs3":k412f1y1 said:
the chip is the size of a piece of rice that was inserted with a needle (good size needle) but the puppy didn't even flinch.

it is standard practice for the chip to be placed between the dogs shoulders and the readers are supposed to be standardized so that in any part of the country your dogs ID is readable. The reader is about as big around as a ping pong paddle and about 1 1/2 inches thick. The ID # shows on a little screen.

I see something like this being could be used on the cattle - much more secure than an ear tag - picked an ear tag up in the pasture just today...

Your dogs aren't going to wind up on someone's plate for dinner. Those things are known to sometimes move around in the body and they've got to be removed before the meat gets into the food chain.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2xivvwkl said:
Ted do you really believe that Peta and HSUS are out to eliminate cattle ranchers? Who do you propose would then raise Americas beef? Welcome to the real world.

He's exactly right that PETA and HSUS would like to eliminate cattle ranchers. Go to PETA's websites or the many, many vegan chat boards. They are convinced that ranching is destroying the environment, meat is killing thousands of people every day, and they are morally superior because they don't eat it.

PETA would ban the use of all animals, from domesticated livestock to seeing eye dogs.

The only kicker for PETA and HSUS is that if meat were banned, they'd have to come up with something else to get people to donate money to them.

Their goal is to get EVERYONE to be vegan. They've already been able to get some bay pen contests shut down in Florida and soon will in Louisiana. Heck, we can't even have certain types of bay pen contests here in Texas..just strictly bayings no catch events. I happen to think catch events are exciting but now am resigned to going to bayings only. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, I'm talking about feral hog being bayed at by a trained hog dog in a pen. Apparently it's big money in some areas and some ranches are getting into it. Used to be we had catch events but then some PETA people had a cow and was able to get a law passed (without our knowledge til just TOO late!) that outlaws it or at least, is making people who hosts those event walk a very fine line. In Louisiana, they passed a similiar law last year and now we are only down to bay pen contests. In Florida, they completely outlawed both bay and catch events then when the Florida Seminoles had a contest over 3 thousand people attended! The PETA people went crazy since Indian country isn't required to follow every law except federal laws. They were able to scare the Seminoles into deciding NOT to host the event even though it was a great money maker. Too many outsiders are moving to Florida and ruining it for the old timers.

As I said, their next goal is to outlaw eating meat of any kind which I'm opposed to since it's your own body and your own decision on what to eat.

One more thing about reptiles. I used to keep them and they're alot of work believe it or not. They require specific heat tempatures and their food has to be really well fed, etc. It's a HUGE business those days and I believe the places that is most crawling with those kind of businesses is California and Florida. I don't see why they've not tried Texas...ummmm but there's a place about 30 miles from Austin that says Snake Farm. Will have to see. I really like corn snakes because they come in so many colors and they eat mice. Now let's go back to the post.....

I personally hate the idea and will conform to it only when I have to. These folks who think they're going to like it are going to be disappointed I'm afraid. I guess it's not such a big deal if you have a couple of cows but if you have several (and I know there's folks on here who have more than I do) and you move them from one location to another quite often I think it's going to be a pain in the ass. We have several breeding pastures and the cows are moved from one to another as we decide to breed them to a different bull. I don't mean that we just open a gate and run them in to the other side of the pasture either-we load them up and truck them to another pasture across the county. I did read that you will be able to register them as multiple locations so that may help.

I wasn't quite clear about the poultry-I have alot of barnyard fowl of all types running all over the place. Chickens, ducks, geese and guineas-they hatch wherever and whenever they want to. I have no intention of trying to record every chick or duckling that hatches and report it to Big Brother. This would require that I quit my day job and do this full time. I just don'r like it-I think it's just another way of the government keeping tabs on everything that we do. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

That's what I thought-also the reason I'll never voluntarily sign up for this s**t until I have to. Even then I don't plan on listing any of my poultry, they'll have to make me. I've had a few folks ask me if we've registered-I can't figure how folks get brain washed so easily but you know...like lambs being led to slaughter.

mdmdogs3":2kiggq57 said:

I whole heartedly agree with you! We have to replace 15% to 25% of our ear tags every ear. We tattoo every cow so we'll know how to retag them. I don't know how any ear tag based system has a snowball's chance of working!

Rustler9":16ze174p said:
I guess it's not such a big deal if you have a couple of cows but if you have several (and I know there's folks on here who have more than I do) and you move them from one location to another quite often I think it's going to be a pain in the ass. We have several breeding pastures and the cows are moved from one to another as we decide to breed them to a different bull. I don't mean that we just open a gate and run them in to the other side of the pasture either-we load them up and truck them to another pasture across the county. I did read that you will be able to register them as multiple locations so that may help.

did you mean that you might be able to register them as the same location? i'm not sure if there's a set distance that would require them to be registered separately, but we've been told that separate pastures (even if they're not connected) can have the same premise i.d. unless one is managed entirely separate, with no commingling (for example, you have a breeding cowherd but you also own a feedlot), then they can be considered one premise.

animals will not need to be tagged until they leave the premise of origin, which would mean they could be moved back & forth between places depending on which bull you wanted to breed 'em to & they wouldn't need to be tagged or the move recorded.

as for snakes.....they can come on out to my place & tag any snake they want. might want to give 'em a gps chip 'cause i'm not sure i'll be able to tell 'em when it leaves my premise. :lol2:

Your dogs aren't going to wind up on someone's plate for dinner. Those things are known to sometimes move around in the body and they've got to be removed before the meat gets into the food chain.[/quote said:
totally agree - I just used the dogs microchips as something that I have experience with ... I just know that ear tags won't work.

TedH71":2bommx5k said:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/17/01223/213

This is exactly WHAT you need to be afraid of.

Ted

I only skimmed a little of thr article but with the inaccuracys I saw right off I don;t think it's particularly valuable.
More alarmist crapoola. Why not find out what it's really all about before thinkingthe sky is falling. You might as well get resigned to the fact that NAIS will happen.

dun

Latest posts