NAIS

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't blink... They'll be back. They still say they're shooting for 100% participation by 09. Texas isn't giving up easily and still talking mandatory but more county goverments are coming out against it.Z

Yep, it'll rear it's ugly head again but I thought all along that it would take longer to implement than they were projecting. I'm still going to wait until I'm forced to do it, think it will still be a way off.

I'm not looking to get into an in-depth discussion of NAIS, but think about how this latest news will look to the end consumer. Everything's fine and dandy now that bse is not on the daily news but let it rear its ugly head again and it will be the hot topic on cnn and the like.

cfpinz

We have mandatory ID in Canada. They are also working on age verification for all cattle. The interesting thing that I found was that when they asked the powers that be if they thought there would be a premium paid for age verified cattle, the answer was 'No, but we expect that animals that are not age verified will be discounted'. I thought that was an interesting perspective. If you jump through the government hoops, you'll make the same money you are now. If you don't, you'll make less. No talk of the added expenses coming out of our pockets for that. :roll:

Cattle Rack Rancher":2y3x62q2 said:
We have mandatory ID in Canada. They are also working on age verification for all cattle. The interesting thing that I found was that when they asked the powers that be if they thought there would be a premium paid for age verified cattle, the answer was 'No, but we expect that animals that are not age verified will be discounted'. I thought that was an interesting perspective. If you jump through the government hoops, you'll make the same money you are now. If you don't, you'll make less. No talk of the added expenses coming out of our pockets for that. :roll:

That's the way it has always been in this business. The first few on the band wagon get a small oremium but as it becomes more common, those that don;t do it get docked. May not be obvious but a buck cwt less is still a dock.

dun

Latest posts