Pregnancy test

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Just curious, will a human pregnancy test (drug store type) work on a cow? Assuming you could catch it urinating.

Bigfoot":3a276weu said:
Just curious, will a human pregnancy test (drug store type) work on a cow? Assuming you could catch it urinating.
Nope! A couple of years ago someone on here tried it with several cows and it didn;t work. But a video of trying to catch the pee would have been worth the price of admission

dun":1k1cqhok said:
Bigfoot":1k1cqhok said:
Nope! A couple of years ago someone on here tried it with several cows and it didn;t work. But a video of trying to catch the pee would have been worth the price of admission
I can't imagine a human test would work -- cows ain't us. If you have access to a chute, the blood test thing is pretty darn accurate, and can be read within 30 days after breeding. "bioPryn"

Kathie in Thorp":213bzwfx said:
I can't imagine a human test would work -- cows ain't us. If you have access to a chute, the blood test thing is pretty darn accurate, and can be read within 30 days after breeding. "bioPryn"

I've seen bioPryn talked about one too many times, so I just order it to test the heifer that palpated open. In this case I'm going to second guess my vet before I lute her.

Am not sure just what your question was there, Slick. Couple of years ago, I bought bred cows that had been blood tested with that procedure. They were bred. They calved. I think the test is 95% accurate as to pregnancy; and a 99-100 percentage to "not pregnant." I haven't done this myself yet -- was done with the cows I bought. They send you a "kit" that will check several head -- maybe 10? Can't remember. You can draw blood from the tail area at 30 days post-exposure; package it up via the company's material and instructions; send it in -- get results. I will use that with our cows this year.

Biopryn is awesome. Accurate and cheap. No need for a vet call if you can draw blood but don't know how to palate.

No question, just a statement that I bought the test kits, Kathie. I guess I'm going to have to learn to draw blood. The video makes it look easy, tho.

It is easy slick. But I do it a bit different than the video. I draw the blood with a needle them put the needle in the vaccutainer. Just was easier for me with no way to immobilize the cow better

slick4591":1509ag30 said:
No question, just a statement that I bought the test kits, Kathie. I guess I'm going to have to learn to draw blood. The video makes it look easy, tho.
I haven't done this yet, myself, as I said. But am "sold" on the process. And it might be info that others could use. :)

I was using the Bio Tracking but i swappedto Gold Standard Labs. bvd-pi.com only because they are closer to me and i get the results in 2 days and they test at 28 days bred. Slick it looks like they have 2 labs in Tex 1 in Hereford not sure about the other. The tail bleeding is easy once you get the hang of it. Ive done a bunch and still have trouble occasionally. Like Hook i use a needle and syringe on each one cant seem to master the blood letting neddle.

I checked out the Biopryn web page. Im going to give that a try. I hate to order online. I'm going to call and order a kit monday morning. I kept several hiefers last year. There are 4 I have never observed in heat. They all have a little ear on them. They may be a little late maturing, and they may be bred, and I just don't know it. I'll be putting my bull in May 15th. Cattle are high and inputs are high. I better know for sure which it is.

A glove is cheap and you don't have any shipping. It's a little dirty, but you can feel the fetus easy in 8 weeks.

highgrit":uv16b6yq said:
A glove is cheap and you don't have any shipping. It's a little dirty, but you can feel the fetus easy in 8 weeks.
If you know what your looking for. If not, then the test is the next best thing

LRTX1":4ypkuuqw said:
The blood test can be done at 28 days. That is an advantage even if you know how to palp.
The main disadvantage to the blood test is not being able to tel how far along the pregnancy is, and if you're going to palp anyway to determine that why not just skip the bloodtest

Latest posts