Protein during pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, on a thread I can't find right now. someone mentioned something about how protein should a pregnant cow eat. Percentage wise. @Jeanne - Simme Valley posted that too much protein will not do a cow much good..it just passes through the uyrine, but it CAN cause the calves to be HUGE at birth. So, that got me woprried about having Gail and those 3 other haa;f_jereseys, 2 of them 1st calf heifers, on our Kudzu pasture. Got me worried so we moved them all off and put them in a smaller grass pasture. Then today, on a topic called " Simmental Bull" on the Breeds board, April 23, I saw the following post from @simme : "

Their weight curve during pregnancy is certainly not linear. 80% of birth weight is gained in the last 90 days. 2/3 of birth weight gained in the last 60 days. Daily rate of gain goes up each day. So expect weight difference for 10 days overdue is more than difference for 10 days early. A calf 2 weeks overdue adds considerable birth weight.

At 60 days bred, the calf will weigh less than an ounce. At 90 days, less than half a pound. At 120 days, it will be the size of a small cat. At 150 days, the size of a large cat. At 180 days, the size of a small dog - about 12 to 15 pounds. Then gets to birth weight (70, 80, 90, 100#) in that last 100 days.

Just seems to me that birth weight is affected by environment/nutrition, growth genetics of sire and dam, and gestation length. Also leads me to believe that a CE bull due to shorter gestation does not sacrifice weaning weight like that of a CE bull due to less growth."

Gail will calve in December to a Brahma bull, so it is probably good that we moved her. The Guernsey-Hereford cow, the Jersey-Brown Swiss and the Jersey- Guernsey heifers, were all AI'ed in July., to calve in April. We always moved the Corr cows over to the harvested row crop fields in November when the crops are in and quail/rabbit season opens, and we left them there til February, when the season is over and they calved in February. They were on that 26% Kudzu the whole time they nursed. We weaned end of August. So, I am thinking we'd be ok to leave those 3 on the Kudzu til November, then move them over to the cut-over row crops, and leave them on that til they calved in April. If any of the row crop fields needed plowing before they calved, we could just put those 3 over in the dove field til they calved, then move them to the Kudzu. What does everyone think? I have never worried about any cow calving in my life as I have these...especially these 2 heifers. These are Zeke's, and he'd flip out if something went wrong. And I am 3 hours away...no one will be there when they calve but Zeke, and Scott, whose health is getting worse instead of better.

@Warren Allison, if you have never had a problem with calving (there might be a difference here as you said you have never worried about calving, and didn't say you haven't had problems, although there is somewhat of a correlation if there was a problem in the past) I would not be overly concerned about it. It sounds like based on the 'new' information you have found you have taken the appropriate additional steps to help prevent problems. Not that you know, but do you have an exact due date and can you make yourself more available if the heifers go beyond that date? although it doesn't sound necessary.

Warren - I think I also mentioned that the protein adds BW during the last 3 months (wasn't sure on exactly # days). And the high protein after they calve is perfect for the milk production and for the calves to be eating. Like I mentioned, too much protein just gets passed thru their urine. You should be fine with your normal routine.

@Warren Allison, if you have never had a problem with calving (there might be a difference here as you said you have never worried about calving, and didn't say you haven't had problems, although there is somewhat of a correlation if there was a problem in the past) I would not be overly concerned about it. It sounds like based on the 'new' information you have found you have taken the appropriate additional steps to help prevent problems. Not that you know, but do you have an exact due date and can you make yourself more available if the heifers go beyond that date? although it doesn't sound necessary.
This 220 aces of rough ground we have in south Ga, is probably over 100 acres in Kudzu. For years..decades... we have kept a herd of 100-120 Corriente cows on it. We do not worm vaccinate, or doctor these cows ( or didn't, I should say..sold the last of them a month ago). We did not feed them,. not even hay....just keep minerals and salt available free choice. Around Easter we would turn 5 or 6 Brangus mostly, bulls in with them and remove them Memorial weekend, We would drive them across the road to 450 acres of row crops that had been harvested, where they stayed til the end of quail/rabbit season mid Feb. Then.,l we'd drive them and the calves back over to the Kudzu place. In March, we'd round them all up, tag the calves ad cut the bull calves. End of August, right before opening day of dove season, we rounded them up again and hauled the calves to the sale. That is the extent of pour handling of these cows. Never saw one calve, except once when one did when we were driving them across the road in February We saw them then, tyhe March calf working day, and end of August when we loaded them to go to the sale. Literally saw them three times a year, Started doing this in the late 90's, 98 or so, and never lost a calf. After reading what @simme posted, I realize now that we didn't have them on Kudzu their last 90 days of gestation. This was not by design because of knowledge of the dangers of high protein during pregnancy...we did this according to our quail and rabbit hunting seasons, Didn't know we were doing good by cutting down the protein in their diet the last 90-100 days. But, these jersey heifers are not the same caliber as Corriente. Sooo, we WERE gonna leave them out there all the time like we did the Corr herds, but now since learning about protein during pregnancy, I got worried about those little Jersey heifers trying to calve 110 lb Brahma calves.

Warren - I think I also mentioned that the protein adds BW during the last 3 months (wasn't sure on exactly # days). And the high protein after they calve is perfect for the milk production and for the calves to be eating. Like I mentioned, too much protein just gets passed thru their urine. You should be fine with your normal routine.
I think so too now, @Jeanne - Simme Valley . Gonna put those 3 out again, but probably leave Gail in her pasture by Zeke's house. Thanks!

Are Jersey cows known for large calves?

#110 Brahman on a Jersey heifer would make me nervous regardless of nutrition. I breed Brahman heifers to Angus or Hereford before they get Brahman bulls.
Well, grown ones are bred to Brahmas as much as any other bull. And a lot of heifers are, AI'ed using sexed semen to get heifer calves. Thats what we did with these two heifers. Not worried too much about the Hereford-Guernsey, This will be her 4th one.

A neighbor of mine artificially bred his Jersey cows to Charolais bulls in the mid 70s. He had once run a dairy and brought 50 heifers with him when he retired to a smaller hillside farm.
While I agree that Jerseys normally have small calves, some of these were pretty big, at least 100 pounds. These calves made really nice cows and I bought some of them when he retired a second time.
I was still a kid and learned a lot from all the calf pulling, treating for milk fever, and dehorning we had to do with those cows and their calves.

I have always limited the amount of feed I fed bred heifers, we bought 6 bred angus heifers and two calves were still born, two were born alive and doing good heifers are in good shape.
The worst problem I ever had was with F1 brangus heifers, I was able to buy wheat seed really cheap one year and I put the heifers on it, the calves were huge, but Brahman calves usually are, we had to pull several.
The best luck we had was with corriente heifers, we just put them on pasture and everyone had their calf with no problems.

Alway have fed alfalfa hay to cows all winter long. Don't know why anyone would do anything different in this area.
It doesn't pencil out to feed any different. Especially when you consider the health benefits. And the time saved in not having to feed multiple feed sources.

Latest posts