Steer in with heifers during breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Oakhill20

Reaction score
Hi! I'm completely new to this cattle world so this is probably a really dumb question, but will a steer distract the heifers from the bull during breeding? Reason I ask is that I have 4 heifers, 2 in heat right now. I saw the bull cover one this morning, but now the steer will not leave those 2 alone and they are all 3 glued to each other. I haven't seen the bull around the other one that is in heat. I plan to remove the steer at feeding time soon, but thought I'd check my theory. I haven't been able to find anything through googling on how to manage herds (heifers vs steers)

I think I would remove the distraction. The mature bulls tend to know what they are doing and turn up at the right time however I use young bulls to clean up after AI and I have had situations when all the young calves are chasing after the one in season jumping her at every opportunity and I find the cow get a bit peed off with that and sometimes won't let the bull do his job. Heifers especially. It sounds like the 3 have formed a little clique group, may not want to deal with an outsider.

Ken

The heifer may not yet be in standing heat and the bull knows that. My bulls are pretty much one 'n done; they do their job and move on while the party continues with steers and other cows.

With sheep you can send in the non working males to get the females ready, but then you remove them and replace with working rams.

I would look at it same way and especially so if the steer is dominant, but why have him around interfering either way ? And more so with those not so experienced.

They will prob sort it out anyway, but move steer away if you can imo.