Discharge late pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

First pic looks just like a first calf heifer of mine that aborted her calf about a month early. I put her in and sleeved her just to make sure the calf was not dead inside her. No calf but I did find the calf the next day. I could tell it was premature and probably born dead. Hope you have better luck than I.

MurraysMutts said:
Hope all is well....

Hows she doing?

Still no change. Vet said looked like mucus plug. Said the small amount of blood wasn't uncommon for 1st time heifer.. Her bag is more swollen and her teats appear to be torn? Also said that was common for first timers.. So still playing waiting game. No change in her temperment. Still moving well and everything. So we will see. I think I might have lost a calf and just couldn't find it. But with her bag still swelling makes me think otherwise.

Sounds like a heifer to me. I get overly concerned about the ones I like the spouse calls me a "mom"

So I've got one with stuff on her tail now too.
Shes due about anytime.
Odd thing is, she was swollen as all git out yesterday.
Not so much today.
I've got my eye on her. Hoping for the best.
Shes in a fairly small lot. A few acres. Couldnt find a calf anywhere.
Hoping for the best here too. She raised a good calf last year.

I wish you both good luck with your girls. As much as i look forward to calving season, it'll make an old man out of you quickly! The watching...and WAITING in anticipation. It's the adult version of a kid at Christmas. Keep us posted on the progress/results!

Hardin Farms said:

So this cow is a first time heifer. Her calf is due any time now. On Jan. 9 i noticed the clear, milky discharge and since, it has continued to be a brown or bloody discharge as in the last pic. Should i be concerned? She isn't showing any sign of discomfort. Body condition remains good and her bag starting filling in a week or so ago.

Hardin Farms any update on your heifer?

So quick update on the heifer... I have been noticing her back teats were almost raw looking. Vet said it could be from stretching in first time heifer, but didn't look like stretch lesions to me and her bag wasn't "that" big. So yesterday while working on the fence, i look around and notice there is a 3 month old calf from another heifer nursing her?? The calf's dam is a healthy, good looking cow and is giving plenty of milk. No clue why this calf has decided to nurse her too, but i did notice this calf was outperforming every other November calf on my place. So i am almost certain now that i lost her calf and this calf has just kept the bag wet. She still looks like she is heavy heavy, but she has always been a bigger cow. My vet has been reworking his chutes and head gate so i couldn't take her in for preg. check, but i don't see the need now. She seems to be healthy with no problems. I'll be turning the bull out next month, so i'll just keep a watch on her next year. I am working on a barn so ill have a chute and some lots to work them, but i'll be darned if everything isn't expensive these days... Makes progress slow go these days!$$$$$$ Really wanting to add some cross fences to my place too, so i can keep them in a smaller lot during calving season.

MurraysMutts said:
So I've got one with stuff on her tail now too.
Shes due about anytime.
Odd thing is, she was swollen as all git out yesterday.
Not so much today.
I've got my eye on her. Hoping for the best.
Shes in a fairly small lot. A few acres. Couldnt find a calf anywhere.
Hoping for the best here too. She raised a good calf last year.

Hopefully yours turn out better than mine. Maybe you'll have a calf on the round soon.

Hardin Farms said:
So quick update on the heifer... I have been noticing her back teats were almost raw looking. Vet said it could be from stretching in first time heifer, but didn't look like stretch lesions to me and her bag wasn't "that" big. So yesterday while working on the fence, i look around and notice there is a 3 month old calf from another heifer nursing her?? The calf's dam is a healthy, good looking cow and is giving plenty of milk. No clue why this calf has decided to nurse her too, but i did notice this calf was outperforming every other November calf on my place. So i am almost certain now that i lost her calf and this calf has just kept the bag wet. She still looks like she is heavy heavy, but she has always been a bigger cow. My vet has been reworking his chutes and head gate so i couldn't take her in for preg. check, but i don't see the need now. She seems to be healthy with no problems. I'll be turning the bull out next month, so i'll just keep a watch on her next year. I am working on a barn so ill have a chute and some lots to work them, but i'll be darned if everything isn't expensive these days... Makes progress slow go these days!$$$$$$ Really wanting to add some cross fences to my place too, so i can keep them in a smaller lot during calving season.

There may be cost share out there to help with the crossfencing if it fits your operation. Check with local USDA/NRCS office for available programs. I'll admit, its not for everyone, but it sure helped us out! It's worth checking in to.

VaCowman said:
Hardin Farms said:

There may be cost share out there to help with the crossfencing if it fits your operation. Check with local USDA/NRCS office for available programs. I'll admit, its not for everyone, but it sure helped us out! It's worth checking in to.

Thank you! I have applied already. We are also applying for a watering facility as well. I am planning to build the fence and to do some of the work on the watering facility myself. I think i can almost do the cross fence and the watering facility at no cost. With the exception of my labor of course, but who counts that when you live on a farm right??

Good luck! We couldn't have done what we did without it, nor would we be where we are today without it!

Aw man. I'm sorry to hear about that heifer of yours. Sure would be nice if a guy could preg her and know for sure. If shes still bred, I'd dang sure seperate her from that lil milk thief. Lol
If she did slip a calf, I've had great luck grafting a sale barn baby on those.

Mine was leaking a bit this morning. Shes gonna wait til the snow flies I think. Her calf last year was born in the snow too. I'll post a pic later if all works out. This is hers last year.

As u can see, she spit it out right under that fallen tree.
Had to cut the tree off. Calf couldnt get up.

Well....
Happy to report a bouncing baby bull calf.
Whew!
This cow sure had me fooled. I thought for sure she had lost it a couple days ago.
Got him tagged. He has been up and nursed already.

Any news on yours, Hardin Farms?

Thats great!! Glad to see yours worked out better than mine has so far.

The cow is still doing great, as well as the milk thief. I am just assuming i lost a calf back in middle January and couldn't find it. Bummer, but at least i still have the cow. I guess my only decision is whether to keep her and try her again this year or to let her go.

I had one similar about 10 years ago, no sign of a calf until about 3 weeks later when the calf surfaced in a paddock dam she was in. Must have had it on the wall and calf rolled straight in and sunk, lungs not inflated I guess.

Ken

Latest posts