Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber":zxng8n3s said:
How are you guys handling the cottonseed? How are you storing it/feeding it/mixing it with other feedstuffs?
I did mix it in a tmr but don't have it now so don't use cottonseed now. It also doesn't have the energy I need in stockers either.
I use to feed it by hand also.
It can be dumped on the ground or in troughs.
It's great for lactating cows.
The worst thing about it is the handling.

The only time I'll use a tub, is to place it in an area that doesn't get grazed a lot. It'll help keep the cows in that area to utilize the whole pasture more.

jedstivers":goqeckrm said:
HDRider":goqeckrm said:
Like what Jed?
You'll have to check feed and grain prices.
Like now I'm feeding 25% ddg for .08 a pound. Whole corn is cheaper than that but not as high of protine.
Cottonseed is .10 a pound.
Haven't priced rice bran.
Take the price per ton of the tubs then take the moisture out of it and see what it's costing per ton.
Then see what you can get diffrent stuff for.
Right..

That might be in my future as I scale up.

What equipment would be needed to use that? Tell me what I missed..

Grain trailer. Auger. Grain Storage. Grinder. Mixer.

Thanks

If all your feeding is cows, not stockers or feeders then you can't beat whole cotton seed.
The breeder/range cubes can boost the feed value to adequate level and easy to handle.
Dry cows don't need but 8-10% protein.
In your climate in extreme cold and snow you might want to feed a little corn to boost energy, but with fescue or good hay you should be fine.
Lower quality grass or hay a couple pounds of breeder cubes will boost the feed value to adequate levels

HDRider":h5m166tg said:
jedstivers":h5m166tg said:
HDRider":h5m166tg said:
Like what Jed?
Like now I'm feeding 25% ddg for .08 a pound. Whole corn is cheaper than that but not as high of protine.
Take the price per ton of the tubs then take the moisture out of it and see what it's costing per ton.
Right..

Thanks
A lot of times now you can get commodity feed mixed and bagged for you at a local coop

HDRider":2yj0gpxv said:
jedstivers":2yj0gpxv said:
HDRider":2yj0gpxv said:
Like what Jed?
Right..

Thanks
Will depend on what sources you have around you.
For cottonseed you just need some kind of trailer to dump it on and a gin to buy it from.
If you have a good feed store you can get bulk bags of product.
As far as feeding it you need 5 gallon buckets.
Last winter I fed over two trailer truck loads of corn through 5 gallon buckets.
If you ever get enough cattle to eat that much and you have a shed it can be dumped under you can buy truckloads. I have a pile of ddg on the ground under a shed right now. I load buckets every day and feed.
I do have my corn is a seed wagon because I have one on the farm.
Lot of different ways to do it. Just have to use what's around you.
Course if you don't have a good feed store come down here and I'll load you up.

Latest posts