PREG CHECK YOUR COWS!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

quartermeter":2zbnmu4z said:
Okay I'm new here so bear with me he did preg check his cows. but I guess he checked them too late you're saying he should preg check them 4 months or 3 months after he got your bull. And not waited a year is that correct.

That is correct. His calves were due in March and he preg checked in April when nothing came.

hillbilly beef man":pevpt3ut said:
You did way more than I would have. I would have brought him a replacement and then took the old bull to the sale myself. Don't loose any sleep over it, you went above and beyond for that customer.

That's exactly what I would have done if he would have called last summer if he preg checked his cows when he should have and we possibly could have avoided this whole mess. Thus the reason for the title for this thread. So frustrating.

UPDATE.

I decided to go get the bull. I want to know what happened for my own self in case this fella starts to chatter about me. I have an appointment today to get another BSE done on him then will take him to the sale barn myself. Hauling fees on the bull are $100 and $50 for a BSE. Then straight to the sale barn. My vet warned about doing anything related to bringing him back to my place in case his farm had a lepto or trich issue or anything. I'll let him keep his refund on the bull but may keep the salvage value depending on what we learned and based on the comments from this board.

dun":nkuj5y2s said:
M-5":nkuj5y2s said:
I agree with a warranty but a year later , biggest responsibility lies on the owner of cows. I would bse bull again also .
What good would that do? Damage is done, open cows. If he passes a BSE now all that would do is lead to finger pointing and hard feelings.

I still stand by My original comment. and I see you are curious also. Finger pointing has already been done so its not gonna do anything but maybe clarify what happened. Good on ya for not accepting full responsibility for his ignorance.

You might want to ask your vet to send a copy of the report to your customer ... and ... you might want to get a trich test done so you can tell your customer about a problem he might have but isn't aware of.

No matter what you do with the salvage value, at a minimum, I'd keep whatever you spend on hauling / vet bills.

WalnutCrest":1cgggoir said:
You might want to ask your vet to send a copy of the report to your customer ... and ... you might want to get a trich test done so you can tell your customer about a problem he might have but isn't aware of.

No matter what you do with the salvage value, at a minimum, I'd keep whatever you spend on hauling / vet bills.

He will find a way to blame me no matter what. If I show him he has trich he'll think I brought it to him - even though the bull was a virgin. I am very ready to be done going back and forth with this guy so for $150 I'll have my information and will move on with life.

Re: Trich. It's hit or miss on bulls anyway I understand right? I guess if he's positive then you know. If he negative, it still may be trich - as I understand it.

Doubtful it was a trich, unless a neighbor's bull got in with his cows and infected your bull.

WalnutCrest":on6013g9 said:

Trich test is an excellent idea. He may have an issue that cuased the problem in the first place

Well, looks like I got hosed. March 2015 bull passed BSE with flying colors. April 2016 bull passes BSE with flying colors.

EXCEPT

Vet says he's not been taken care of. He's too thin. He said if this fellas cows look like the bull that's why they aren't bred. I never went to look myself. His cows have always looked in good shape and he said he had a vet there preg checking that didn't indicate there was any problem with the cows themselves.

I told the vet (via phone because my hauler was there) that I had returned the guy's money because I wanted to do the right thing. He said "you've been taken advantage of".

angus9259":5pgdxhfq said:
He said "you've been taken advantage of".
Sometime being taken advantage of is a way to forestall a bad reputation. But it can at times mark you as an easy touch.

dun":3nnr17qc said:
angus9259":3nnr17qc said:
He said "you've been taken advantage of".
Sometime being taken advantage of is a way to forestall a bad reputation. But it can at times mark you as an easy touch.

Even if it does mark you as "an easy touch", I think you did the right thing for the former part of dun's post.

Either way, I would be finished doing business with this person. You have handled it in a very "stand-up-guy" way.

Did you have the bull tested for Trich. etc? If so, what were the results.

Muddy":2ecxnu22 said:
So you didn't saw the bull and the cows in person.

Been out to his place a bunch. Always liked his cows. Has always seemed to tend em real good. Took him at his word. I couldn't get there at the time the vet had avail for a BSE so I called a hauler. Could just be one of those things. Maybe bull got down or something during the time he had him with the cows.

Far as I can tell there's not much productive value left in finger pointing.

I learned MY lesson - gonna have some written terms and conditions on bulls I sell if I'm gonna warranty them - preg checking in a timely manner is one of those conditions. Bull being in acceptable "return" condition is another one.

Perhaps he learned his lesson as well - START PREG CHECKING - especially if you can't watch their heats. Perhaps not.

Workinonit Farm"Did you have the bull tested for Trich. etc? If so said:
No Trich testing. I've lost enough money on this bull and there's no real value in me knowing if he had trich at his place since the bull's never bred anything anywhere else. If he'd have wanted to pay for a trich test to really jointly understand what happened, I would have done it but I think he's pretty convinced everything's always been fine before this bull so it's the bull. And it still may have been. That's the beauty of agriculture.... much of it always remains a mystery.

Just food for thought, we trich test all of our virgin bulls. Here in Texas we can pool 5 samples together which helps bring the cost down quite a bit per bull. Since we have them at the vet to get tested anyway, it's really not a big deal.

Wait a second.......did he actually turn the bull in the same pen/pasture as the cows??? Or did he think just having a bull on the farm would get the cows pregnant? :lol:

Seriously though....I had something similar to this happen to me. I sold a bull to a guy and he preg checked in December and said almost all of his cows were open. And like you, I felt terrible. Weird thing is we had an agreement that I would keep the bull until he needed him and deliver him free of charge if I could use him on a couple of my cows. I used him, he got both of my cows bred and then all of a sudden he forgot how to breed cows? I asked if I could come get the bull and get him checked out. He told me I could in a couple weeks. A couple weeks later he called and said the bull went down and he thought he was going to die. Then he called me a few days later and said he died. Wow.

I know things can happen but the owner of the cows has to have some kind of management and responsibility. You did what you had to do with refunding and taking care of him. You should feel good about it and now just move on.

Latest posts