PREG CHECK YOUR COWS!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Got a call from a guy today that bought a bull from me last spring. He was 18 months old and passed a BSE with flying colors the spring he was turned in with 25 cows. The guy informed me that the calves weren't coming this spring so he called the vet - they were all open. He asked what he was supposed to do now with his expensive bull - implying it was the bull's fault.

It was horrible to hear his story so I didn't debate whether it was the bull's fault or not or whether we should get the bull re-tested. It was what it was. I put a check in the mail to him today refunding his purchase price and told him to ship the bull and keep the slaughter value for himself.

However, that's little consolation compared to what I could have done if the guy has simply got his cows preg checked in a timely fashion LAST year - they can be palpated as early as 35 days bred and blood tested as early as 28 days. I have no idea if they were coming in heat all along or not. I felt horrible for the guy. Nice guy. I'm sure he, like so many, make some excuse like "I've never had this problem before !!!" or "I watch my cattle real close". Well, the first time is the first time for a reason. :bang:

Preg check your cows even if you've never had a problem.

Dang. That's bad. You done right by him though. Better than most folks would have. Reckon how he passed the BSE? Or reckon it could be no libido?

JMJ Farms":17l6j8s0 said:
Dang. That's bad. You done right by him though. Better than most folks would have. Reckon how he passed the BSE? Or reckon it could be no libido?

No libido. Hurt. Sick. Infection. Unvaccinated cows. How could they not have been coming into heat? How could this suddenly be a surprise?? Who knows. Honestly it seems like something in the area. I've had several new bull customers the past couple of years with the same story. BSE passed bulls that didn't breed. Feel terrible for the guy. I don't think as terrible as he feels TOWARD ME at the moment.

Did I mention. . . . . . PREG CHECK YOUR COWS!!!

M-5":2lvq6zbn said:
I have a hard time seeing how this is your fault.
Me to. I can understand a partial refund but full refund plus salvage was way to kind. There is a difference between standing behind your cattle and making other peoples problems your problem.

No way to win. If he's upset he's gonna cuss you either way. But I think you did your part plus some to rectify the situation. You should sleep well at night. I can't say what I would have done but..... Salvage check would've probably been mine.

Got two local friends. "Bill" is a breeder. "Joe" has a cow/calf operation with multiple bulls. Joe bought a Hereford bull from Bill. Come fall, no white faced calves. Bill said take him to the sale, bring me the check, and come get another one. Joe got bull #2. Next fall, no white faced calves. Bill said take him to the sale, and come see me. Bill insisted that Joe take (2) bulls this time. Joe said that wasn't necessary but Bill said "you're gonna have some white faced calves he way or another" BTW, Bill is a very respected local breeder, not a crook. I think he handled this situation well. And Joe is a level headed fellow who didn't cause a fuss and act the fool. Everybody is happy and those white faced calves look mighty good.

Sometimes bad things happen. All you can do is whatever you think is right and whatever you can live with. I think you were very, very fair. Bc it may have not even been the bulls fault, but it probably was.

M-5":2fjl7597 said:
I agree with a warranty but a year later , biggest responsibility lies on the owner of cows. I would bse bull again also .
What good would that do? Damage is done, open cows. If he passes a BSE now all that would do is lead to finger pointing and hard feelings.

M-5":1my8w2yc said:

Oh I don't think it was MY fault at all! :D But odds are it was the bull's fault. Gonna do a better job setting the rules up front with buyers. This was this guy's third bull from me - one every two years. Nice guy. He's out a year's calves on 25 cows. Not my fault but wow - he's out way more than I am.

Preg check your cows.

cow pollinater":3dqj9b5x said:
M-5":3dqj9b5x said:
Me to. I can understand a partial refund but full refund plus salvage was way to kind. There is a difference between standing behind your cattle and making other peoples problems your problem.

Your point of not owning other people's problems is a great one. I will register that away. Thank you.

I've spent my whole life looking out for myself. Not sure it's gotten me much of anywhere. I'm crowding 50 now. Gonna try and see what happens if I'm a little too nice for a while. So far it seems like it's a whole lot less fun being nice :lol:

angus9259":3gryi5r9 said:
M-5":3gryi5r9 said:

Oh I don't think it was MY fault at all! :D But odds are it was the bull's fault. Gonna do a better job setting the rules up front with buyers. This was this guy's third bull from me - one every two years. Nice guy. He's out a year's calves on 25 cows. Not my fault but wow - he's out way more than I am.

Preg check your cows.

No doubt he's out more than you but him being ignorant is not your fault. Make sure you tell him to preg check his cows.

dun":2om2iaql said:
M-5":2om2iaql said:
I agree with a warranty but a year later , biggest responsibility lies on the owner of cows. I would bse bull again also .
What good would that do? Damage is done, open cows. If he passes a BSE now all that would do is lead to finger pointing and hard feelings.

Yeah - that's why I just told the guy to ship the bull. Even if he's loaded - which he was when I sent him - doesn't mean he wants to use it. Damage is done. Open cows. His not mine. Feel horrible for the guy even if not my fault.

M-5":ifm1u5os said:
angus9259":ifm1u5os said:
M-5":ifm1u5os said:
Preg check your cows.

No doubt he's out more than you but him being ignorant is not your fault. Make sure you tell him to preg check his cows.

Sorry - that "preg check your cows" wasn't directed at you personally. Just in general. I'll stop saying it now.

I will definitely make that suggestion to him - probably not the right timing.

skyhightree1":y08ea2o6 said:
I preg check since blood draws are so cheap why wouldn't you?

I'm gonna sound like an idiot, but I've never done it, so I'm asking anyway. What's the proper technique, location, procedure, handling protocol, and difficulty of drawing a blood sample to preg check? And where do you send the sample?

I remember the first bull I dropped off to this guy - 6 years ago now. I told him then about blood draws. They run the tests at a lab about 45 mins north of us. I told him I would come over and show him how to do it. He thought it was a good idea but he'd be fine.....

JMJ Farms":39vu8zrd said:
skyhightree1":39vu8zrd said:
I preg check since blood draws are so cheap why wouldn't you?

I'm gonna sound like an idiot, but I've never done it, so I'm asking anyway. What's the proper technique, location, procedure, handling protocol, and difficulty of drawing a blood sample to preg check? And where do you send the sample?

http://www.wmvs.com/biopryn.shtml

Simple.

syringe - 2 cc blood from under tail head. put in vacuum tube these places will send you. shipping and handling instructions are on the web site. takes a little practice finding the vein but lifting the tail STRAIGHT up in the air over the cows back and aiming for the V in the last two tail bones before it goes fleshy is the spot.

Latest posts