Predicting the future part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Re:
Why would you say such a thing? The only way to get ahead in life is to think of things nobody else has thought of or do the things nobody has the guts to do.
Do you really think any of the suggestions posted here haven't been tried at least a thousand times by people with both the guts and the money to try ?

Re:
I am in the same boat...trying to come up with a way to money on my place that is an hour away from my main ranch and I can't winter there or be there everyday.
In that case, the best thing to do to make money is:
1. lease the land out
2. sell it and buy land closer to your ranch
3. put a hired hand on the property who can care for your cattle properly.
SL

Stocker Steve":1jyremwv said:
Texas PaPaw":1jyremwv said:
Can probably buy most older med to short breds for their kill value and they will be fall calvers and should be in high demand when heavy bred at late summer. Think these potential fall calvers may be your best bet as they can be calved out by you/other buyers or sold for slaughter. By stocking on the light side for summer could have grass to winter on. Fall calvers to sell after Jan should have excellent profit potential.

I think you are right on about the profit potential. Some stockpiling would allow us to graze into December during an average northern winter. Market usually goes up sharply during January.
What we have to stockpile down here (usually coastal bermuda) has little or no nutritional value after the 1st couple of frosts unless you refertilized in the fall. Old man down the road has a small herd of about 40 cows that he's starved through the winter. Might weigh 650 lbs. apiece an every bone showing. Would love to get my hands on them and put a couple hunded pounds on each one and just sell them back as packers.

I am waiting for Slick Willie Clinton to return from Brazil this summer. Bill Clinton is the official delegate for the US World Cup Soccer Team and he will be in Brazil with the team in June. After the ink dries on the trade agreement to import Brazilian beef who knows where we will be.

backhoeboogie":2v61uofq said:
Shanghai":2v61uofq said:
Where do you see cull/weigh cow prices in the fall going into winter ?

If the drought ends, people will need something to eat their hay. If I have extra, I might just speculate on some cows this fall if the prices are right. Could be dragging home an empty trailer.

Lots of pastures still empty around here. I bit the bullet and fertilized the hay fields. Feel like it we get some rain, hay may go cheap since the herds are so low in numbers. Demand for hay will be impacted.

They told me milk was up to 26 cents a pound. That's just as outrageous as cattle prices. Surely that will play into the supply and demand.

As crazy as it is, I am actually raising bottle babies. There is profit in it again even with the high cost of milk replacer. Got beef bottle babies and some dairy heifers too for nurse cow prospects. Didn't think I would ever do bottle babies again but I have facilities at the house and the girlfriend likes doing it. Just wished I have some wet nurse cows but all of mine are dry at the moment.

I don't look for the cattle supply to be back up for quite some time. Some folks are talking about getting back in.

The breeds suitable for this climate took a serious hit in the sell out. I hear beefmasters are already jumping up there in price. Rumor is all I know on that.

Culls are worth a small fortune. Every thing that was really sorry was culled long ago and some of the culls I am seeing aren't really that bad.

My thoughts.

:nod:

Weigh cows and big calves seem to be strong and in demand, but the lightweight calves are a little softer
I'm guessing people are waiting on green grass before buying grass stockers ?

Shanghai":3glrmnnl said:
Weigh cows and big calves seem to strong and in demand, but the lightweight calves are a little softer
I'm guessing people are waiting on green grass before buying grass stockers ?

Weaned heifers with a touch of Brimmer are in high demand here.

Calhoun Farm":25v4d1fx said:
I agree with denver, heavy bred cows are selling pretty cheap here. I'm going to buy some and sell them as pairs this fall.
From what I read, nothing is cheap around here. Heavy bred cattle seem to bring almost as much a pairs. Culls are $1.00 a pound. No sign of anythign changing.

Shanghai":1n3l2emv said:
With prices like they are everybody is looking at buying cows

The prices on heifers seemed to have settled more here, it is the cow prices that are still going higher with no signs of calming down.

JWBrahman":18pdmpjl said:
I am waiting for Slick Willie Clinton to return from Brazil this summer. Bill Clinton is the official delegate for the US World Cup Soccer Team and he will be in Brazil with the team in June. After the ink dries on the trade agreement to import Brazilian beef who knows where we will be.

I sure hope you are wrong; but I have been thinking for a while Brazilian cattle imports are in our near future.

BMCC":i5vnhtj2 said:
JWBrahman":i5vnhtj2 said:

I sure hope you are wrong; but I have been thinking for a while Brazilian cattle imports are in our near future.

And of coarse they will all be CAB certified to boot.

Just a coincidence I'm sure, but as soon as Coco Cola got the groves producing fruit in Brazil we had a canker out break in Florida. And the Florida orange and juice has never made it back to the top. Hopefully the Beef market won't end up the same way. If the big wigs from this country own
the cattle in Brazil than look out. Mad cow disease or something worse will happen when Brazil starts importing cattle here. Big money is crooked, and they don't care about nothing but the dollar.

Caustic Burno":2bilzjox said:
BMCC":2bilzjox said:
JWBrahman":2bilzjox said:

And of coarse they will all be CAB certified to boot.

That guise is starting to fade. Too many people have been burned.