Stocking rates and future plans

Help Support CattleToday:

Montanaidiot

Reaction score
So I'm on my 5th years of the moooers and still trying to figure out what I'm doing.

So first Is stocking rates. I have been running 4 head on 28 acres which I'm worried may be too many. Especially last year with the drought. This year it has been beautiful and they have tons of grass. I want never want to over graze my place. So what's some good ways to figure this out? I have emailed the local fsa office for guidance but didn't get any response so I'm winging it.

Part 2 is I just bought another 32 acres right next door so I can start to rotational graze them between the 2 places and pick up a few more head. I want to transition to f1 wagyu crosses but they take longer to mature then say a black Angus, (24-28 month instead of 18-24) so my normal rotation would be off and I want to get calves in the fall since they are much cheaper then yearlings. So if I buy 4 every fall I would have 12 during the winter. And butcher around June. Maybe that's too much.

Sorry alot to unpack. Any advice is greatly appreciated

So I'm on my 5th years of the moooers and still trying to figure out what I'm doing.

So first Is stocking rates. I have been running 4 head on 28 acres which I'm worried may be too many. Especially last year with the drought. This year it has been beautiful and they have tons of grass. I want never want to over graze my place. So what's some good ways to figure this out? I have emailed the local fsa office for guidance but didn't get any response so I'm winging it.

Part 2 is I just bought another 32 acres right next door so I can start to rotational graze them between the 2 places and pick up a few more head. I want to transition to f1 wagyu crosses but they take longer to mature then say a black Angus, (24-28 month instead of 18-24) so my normal rotation would be off and I want to get calves in the fall since they are much cheaper then yearlings. So if I buy 4 every fall I would have 12 during the winter. And butcher around June. Maybe that's too much.

Yeah, I agree with Kenny about using your local extension agent. They are a good resource.

As for "overgrazing" in the winter when you are feeding hay, Is that really a concern? As long as you have hay you're gold no matter how many animals you have. In fact rotating feeding areas can improve your pastures.

It might help if you post some pics of your pastures at different times of the year and before and after being grazed. Is your property irrigated? I always kept five separated pastures and cut hay on the biggest, only rotating cattle onto it after a cutting. I figure when the cattle start pressing the fence it's time to move them. Usually the grass is four/six inches tall when they begin looking across the fence.

Don't ask me about Wagyu. In fact I'll ask you... aren't they too fragile for Montana winters?

Yes Wagyu cattle can handle the cold. We harvest % steers at 20-22 months.
Hanging at around 885 # average. Genetics is the key to earlier harvest.

Yes Wagyu cattle can handle the cold. We harvest % steers at 20-22 months.
Hanging at around 885 # average. Genetics is the key to earlier harvest.
I have raised a few in the past and want to go strictly that way in the future. Once you have some of those steaks it tuff to go back. Trick is getting a higher price for then when it's time.

Yeah, I agree with Kenny about using your local extension agent. They are a good resource.

As for "overgrazing" in the winter when you are feeding hay, Is that really a concern? As long as you have hay you're gold no matter how many animals you have. In fact rotating feeding areas can improve your pastures.

It might help if you post some pics of your pastures at different times of the year and before and after being grazed. Is your property irrigated? I always kept five separated pastures and cut hay on the biggest, only rotating cattle onto it after a cutting. I figure when the cattle start pressing the fence it's time to move them. Usually the grass is four/six inches tall when they begin looking across the fence.

Don't ask me about Wagyu. In fact I'll ask you... aren't they too fragile for Montana winters?
I did email the extension agent. We will see if they get back to me

Just wanted to update I did go into the fsa/nrcs office and got signed up. They were very nice and gave me some info on programs that I might qualify for. So I'm off to a start anyway.

I also secured my 8 wagyu calves for this fall. Which leads me into my next conundrum. So I have craigslist specials right now that I will be finishing out nov- febish and picking up the calves in Nov. So for 3 or 4 months I'm going to have 12 total.

So do I buy some more panels and extend my small corral and keep the them separate sharing the hay feeder and water.

or build a small calf gate to seperate them daily when finishing. I just think the yearlings will bully the calves away from feed and water.

This winter will be a learning experience for sure but I'm very excited

Latest posts