Pre- Valentines Day surprise for wife

Help Support CattleToday:

I gave in to social convention, and got her a gift today. I bought a deck of cards, and wrote something I love about her on every one.

That's pretty cool, BF. I stopped the flower deal the year the wife asked me how much they cost and chastised me for spending that much. It's just a card now and sometimes we might go out to eat the night before or after.

slick4591":2ydfplla said:
That's pretty cool, BF. I stopped the flower deal the year the wife asked me how much they cost and chastised me for spending that much. It's just a card now and sometimes we might go out to eat the night before or after.
Mine chastised me for buying a card--just something else to go in the burn barrel after a couple weeks.
I did stop today and buy her a German chocolate cake, which I know she's been wanting lately.We eat out a lot already, so that wouldn't be something special to mine, but it is to me. (she can't cook)

greybeard":2cnbpl7k said:
slick4591":2cnbpl7k said:
Mine chastised me for buying a card--just something else to go in the burn barrel after a couple weeks.
I did stop today and buy her a German chocolate cake, which I know she's been wanting lately.We eat out a lot already, so that wouldn't be something special to mine, but it is to me. (she can't cook)

At my age the shape of the kitchen is more important than the shape of the cook.

SJB":dsj6mbe6 said:
if you take flowers to her school, it won't matter what they are or how many. every woman loves getting flowers in front of their peers, no matter what they might tell you.

Aunt Bea told Andy not to make a fuss over her birthday and to get her something practical, but she was be nice when she got a dozen canning jars. But that Bed Jacket made her day. Course, it wasn't worth Eagle Eye Annie in my mind, but who am I to say? :)

My wife does not like to get flowers at work. I did that twice. First time she told me nicely not to do that, the second time she was not so nice. Said she wanted attention from me, not her gabby co-workers. The Point was taken to heart.

The best thing I have ever gotten my wife was a pack of kids valentines. I wrote something I loved about her on every one of them and hid each one where she would find them thoughout the day. It ended up being memorable for both of us. ;-)

Caustic Burno":19lp64br said:
greybeard":19lp64br said:
slick4591":19lp64br said:

At my age the shape of the kitchen is more important than the shape of the cook.

I started dating my wife for her looks, I married her because of her cooking. After 16 years I have gotten more enjoyment out of her cooking, even though she is still easy on the eyes.

Commercialfarmer":2u8hw0if said:
Now don't over do it, cause then you'll be setting a precedent that she'll expect. ;-)

You better believe there a lot of truth in that statement. Better to raise the bar slowly as you learn how to jump higher than to put the bar at the top and try to jump high everytime. Because when you come up short it's gonna hurt :lol2:

TCRanch":1u7bfnfi said:
So how did it turn out? I always loved it when my husband showed up at work unannounced - with or without flowers/presents/lunch/whatever. He gave me a single long stemmed yellow rose on our 1st date & 23 years later that's all I need. Just one.

It went well. When I got there, she was still having class. When she first saw me as I opened the door, she had a puzzled look, which turned to a smile pretty quick.

This is what my sweetie made me for Valentine's Day. She asked me what I thought, I told her they needed some honey and butter. My wife learned 30+ years ago the best way to a man's heart is through their stomach.

True Grit Farms":1l4ocqao said:

This is what my sweetie made me for Valentine's Day. She asked me what I thought, I told her they needed some honey and butter. My wife learned 30+ years ago the best way to a man's heart is through their stomach.

My eternal search for the perfect one continues...
You have a recipe for them biscuits?

True Grit Farms":13puoazr said:

Through the stomach is the best way to my heart for sure :nod: but they need sausage and gravy

Bigfoot":2b8zbki7 said:
Ky hills":2b8zbki7 said:
Thanks y'all lots of good advice for future ventures. Big Foot, I think she would really appreciate your idea of 13 instead of 12.
She is originally from Oklahoma, and is new to this area, so I thought it might be a nice thing to do for her. She is a blessing in my life.

Sounds like you guys are happy, and that's the main thing. I'll soon be 45. Been married about half my life now. Can't believe I'm talking this way, but as I look back, I was a great father, and a terrible husband. I never have been sensitive to my wife's feminine side. I never give gifts, Christmas , birthdays etc. No surprises of any kind. Focused a lot more on work, and the farm, than I ever did her. Then, when the kids came along they became the center of my world. We do everything together, and leave her out. I guess I could change today, if I really wanted to. I'm not big on commitments that I won't meet. I know I won't miraculously become a sensitive man over night. I'd encourage you to continue to pamper her. Mine deserved it, and never got it. I was at least honest about it. I've been this way a long time. It didn't just slip up on me overnight.

I'm far behind on reading the threads the last few weeks. But Bigfoot, your comment was great -- very heart-warming, sincere and introspective. Never too late to start! :)

I just read this thread for the first time. This was my first Valentine with the bride. I get a double hit because her birthday is the day before Valentine. She told me that it isn't what she gets but who she spends time with. So I took her over to Ellensburg to the "Spirit of the West Cowboy Gathering" for the weekend. Saturday all day of cowboy poetry and western music, a nice dinner at a nice place, dancing, and a good room for the night. Sunday at Cowboy church and them the trade show they had before heading home. She was a happy camper.

Dave":3pixq5dc said:
I just read this thread for the first time. This was my first Valentine with the bride. I get a double hit because her birthday is the day before Valentine. She told me that it isn't what she gets but who she spends time with. So I took her over to Ellensburg to the "Spirit of the West Cowboy Gathering" for the weekend. Saturday all day of cowboy poetry and western music, a nice dinner at a nice place, dancing, and a good room for the night. Sunday at Cowboy church and them the trade show they had before heading home. She was a happy camper.

That does sound like a good time. Cept the dancing.

Latest posts