Power of Prayer

Help Support CattleToday:

That wasn't the Lord's voice, it was a man's voice. Your father must have had a lot on himself, trying to raise you children , and being very poor.

Like you, I am a science major. All of this didn't come from nothing-trust and believe. We are lucky to have a loving Lord God.

Don McCallum":19o45zkl said:
That wasn't the Lord's voice, it was a man's voice. Your father must have had a lot on himself, trying to raise you children , and being very poor.

Like you, I am a science major. All of this didn't come from nothing-trust and believe. We are lucky to have a loving Lord God.
Don, I think back on what caused some of his behavior. When one is young, you focus on the behavior not the cause. My mind has explored many of the causes over the years for hurtful words he employed and his behavior. I believe he was disappointed in the living he was providing for his wife and children. He could confess it internally but he rationalized it outside his head. When his children left except for the youngest and he got a job as a county road grader operator, he became a much more mellow person. He had a long life but I know some of it was a disappointment for him.

TexasBred":36n8j9lk said:
inyati13":36n8j9lk said:
I had a bad experience when I was very small that has forever destroyed my faith in the power of Prayer. My brother Eddie and I were in the barn unloading a wagon of tobacco. Eddie was saying he wished he had some money so he could buy some chocolate milk at the Wyatt's grocery store in town. I suggested that me both take a moment to pray and maybe the Lord would drop some change on us. We got down off the wagon, kneeled and said a quick prayer. About that time a loud angry voice came from the sky and entered the barn. "You kids get that load of tobacco off that wagon, right now." We looked at each other and I said, "Eddie, that has to be the Lord. The good book says we are all his children." We both had images of a whole quart of chocolate milk to ourselves. We were working as fast as we could. Suddenly, another loud mean voice silenced our work. "I better not come down there and find you kids have not unloaded that tobacco." I said, "Eddie, we are almost done. The Lord is sure to be pleased. I bet we get enough money to buy a quart of chocolate milk a piece and money left over for a candy bar."

We got done and started for the house. We were checking our pockets and looking under rocks not sure where the Lord was going to put our money. About that time, dad stepped out of the house and yelled in a loud mean voice, "It took you kids long enough to unload that tobacco. If you ain't the two laziest boys I ever seen." We looked at each other and I knew from then on, I would never regain my faith in the power of prayer.

Sounds to me the Lord answered the prayer but with a different answer than you anticipated. His answer kept you from getting you azz beat for being lazy. Appears that after that answered prayer you also vowed to study hard, work hard and make a good citizen. !!!!! :mrgreen:

TBs right, the Lord answered your prayers , open your eyes look around , Go buy your chocolate milk .

Inyati,

As always, I enjoyed reading your story. I always feel like I am there. Recently my children have been being very materialistic. I had them make a list of everything they wanted. I told them the sky was the limit. If they wanted it, they should write it down. After they all three finished, we sat at the kitchen table, and made a list of what our family "needed" to live. When we laid there list of "wants" by our list of "needs", the first thing that they noticed was how short the needs list actually was. I read the scripture below to them, and we talked about the fact that God provides what we need here on earth, while also providing salvation. I know you get irratated when I "preach" to you, but the topic was on my mind this week. Also gideon was able to lay out a fleece to prove Gods path for his life. You and I are not Gideon, and probably shouldn't test the waters.

Mathew 6
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Bigfoot good morning, don't the liberals and nonbelievers have as much or more material things than the Christians? Life is what you make it, and when things get bad I am glad I have my faith in God. There's never a day not to be thankful for.

The wife and I saw God's Not Dead yesterday. I think it's a great movie for anyone to watch, especially anyone sitting on the fence wondering if there really is a God.

there is a plaque that reads
DON'T WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW , GOD Is ALREADY THERE
bigfoot you can preach to me anytime

I may not have the perfect life, but I know I would be a lot worse off without the power of faith which I have used many times.
But I will add, years ago I asked a wise man, "Why does a man have to go through hardships in life"?
He paused for a split second and then said to me, "Because it makes a better man of you."
Looking back through the years I can see that he was absolutely right.

And that's my say on the matter.

Thank you Bigfoot. I enjoyed your post very much! :D
I agree Ryder, we go through a lot of things that only make us a better person! I truly believe there is a reason for everything. It is all part of Gods master plan for us.

Bigfoot,

Glad to see you back. Thanks for the comments on my writing. When I took composition in college, we had to write a story. I wrote a story about a young man who was raised on a farm and when he left home, he built a cabin on a remote river called the "Nippernine". It is the Indian name for the Licking River where I was raised. The young man was self-sufficient. He lived by hunting and trapping. He enjoyed the natural world around him.

When I got the paper back, across the top it was marked, "Come see me". There was no grade. I went to her after class and ask what was wrong. She arrogantly looked at me and accused me of not writing it. I affirmed that I had written it. What else do you do? She finally said, this is too well written. I don't think it is your work. She took the paper and put a big C on the top of it. I knew it was better than that and so did she.

My major was in the School of Math and Sciences. I went to the Chairman of the Biological Sciences. While I sat there in front of him, he called the Composition teacher. He explained that Ron is one of our best students. He is very gifted and if he said he wrote that story I think he should get credit for it. She would not change her grade.

She was outwardly hateful to me the remainder of the semester. I got a C in that course. It destroyed my sense of fairness. I kept that story but I have moved so many times, I cannot find it.

Sooner or later you learn that life isn't fair.

That still sucks.
Just as well you kept writing. I have known talented people give up over incidences like that with their teachers.

The last three months have been less than fun. And I have certainly spent a lot of time in prayer asking for what I figured that I wanted and needed. Yesterday afternoon and early evening was spent with my two boys and their families. That included time with a 2 1/2 year old grandson sitting on my lap giving me instructions on how to color a "clown fish". This morning I got to thinking on it. God may not have answered my exact requests but he has certainly blessed me more than I ever deserved.

Latest posts