Power of Prayer

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I had a bad experience when I was very small that has forever destroyed my faith in the power of Prayer. My brother Eddie and I were in the barn unloading a wagon of tobacco. Eddie was saying he wished he had some money so he could buy some chocolate milk at the Wyatt's grocery store in town. I suggested that me both take a moment to pray and maybe the Lord would drop some change on us. We got down off the wagon, kneeled and said a quick prayer. About that time a loud angry voice came from the sky and entered the barn. "You kids get that load of tobacco off that wagon, right now." We looked at each other and I said, "Eddie, that has to be the Lord. The good book says we are all his children." We both had images of a whole quart of chocolate milk to ourselves. We were working as fast as we could. Suddenly, another loud mean voice silenced our work. "I better not come down there and find you kids have not unloaded that tobacco." I said, "Eddie, we are almost done. The Lord is sure to be pleased. I bet we get enough money to buy a quart of chocolate milk a piece and money left over for a candy bar."

We got done and started for the house. We were checking our pockets and looking under rocks not sure where the Lord was going to put our money. About that time, dad stepped out of the house and yelled in a loud mean voice, "It took you kids long enough to unload that tobacco. If you ain't the two laziest boys I ever seen." We looked at each other and I knew from then on, I would never regain my faith in the power of prayer.

If the Lord has answered that prayer for the chocolate milk, you would have been in a mess by now!!! I guess that was Dad checking on you two, and thought he better rattle the cage?

Ron when I was very small, I would pray that the Lord would let my friends parents say yes, she could spend the night with me. We had ponies, and they seldom would let her leave the house. Since we are made in his image, he must have a huge sense of humor. I am sure that he has laughed many a time until his stomach hurts. Mostly when you asked for the chocolate milk!!

Chuckie, kids today would not understand the life I had. We worked hard at a young age. My brothers and I would talk about if we ever grew up and got money the only thing we wanted was chocolate milk. When I started to school
In 1956, school lunch was 25 cents. Mom and dad never had it to give to us half the time. We took a sandwich. Some kids charged their lunch and many had a hard time catching up with the charges. Oddly, I never knew we were poor! But I do remember wanting chocolate milk.

Inyati he did not answer your prayer because there was a lesson to be learned. ;-)
Only the good Lord knows the plan for your future. Do you have plenty of chocolate milk now? Heck, you probably even have the cow that gives it! :lol2:

Ron, we never had chocolate milk either. Mom could not afford it. We were not allowed to take just anything to eat that we wanted, as we had to ask. I ate many a salad dressing sandwich, butter sandwiches, etc.... I remember going over to a friends house, and she went to the freezer and got out the ice cream and her parents were not at home. I was so scared that I knew her parents would call mine and I would get a whipping when I got home.
Mom took my piggy bank and put it up high in the cabinet, and I wanted to see how much money I had in it. She would tell me that we would get it down later and check it. She told me that so many times that I just stopped asking. I asked her about it later when I got older, as we never got it down. She told me that she spent the money on food.
So, sometimes the people that don't have a lot of money growing up look forward to the smaller rewards of life. Like chocolate milk or some ice-cream. You know what I mean? I never resented it as riding in the back end of the pickup truck when they went riding around on Sundays was a thrill.

I believe in the power of positive thinking. I have said many a prayer that never worked out.
You mean chocolate milk doesn't come from brown cows?

inyati13":3v6ehazc said:
I had a bad experience when I was very small that has forever destroyed my faith in the power of Prayer. My brother Eddie and I were in the barn unloading a wagon of tobacco. Eddie was saying he wished he had some money so he could buy some chocolate milk at the Wyatt's grocery store in town. I suggested that me both take a moment to pray and maybe the Lord would drop some change on us. We got down off the wagon, kneeled and said a quick prayer. About that time a loud angry voice came from the sky and entered the barn. "You kids get that load of tobacco off that wagon, right now." We looked at each other and I said, "Eddie, that has to be the Lord. The good book says we are all his children." We both had images of a whole quart of chocolate milk to ourselves. We were working as fast as we could. Suddenly, another loud mean voice silenced our work. "I better not come down there and find you kids have not unloaded that tobacco." I said, "Eddie, we are almost done. The Lord is sure to be pleased. I bet we get enough money to buy a quart of chocolate milk a piece and money left over for a candy bar."

We got done and started for the house. We were checking our pockets and looking under rocks not sure where the Lord was going to put our money. About that time, dad stepped out of the house and yelled in a loud mean voice, "It took you kids long enough to unload that tobacco. If you ain't the two laziest boys I ever seen." We looked at each other and I knew from then on, I would never regain my faith in the power of prayer.

Sounds to me the Lord answered the prayer but with a different answer than you anticipated. His answer kept you from getting you azz beat for being lazy. Appears that after that answered prayer you also vowed to study hard, work hard and make a good citizen. !!!!! :mrgreen:

ALACOWMAN":1r3zbhfq said:
I believe in the power of prayer...and the the Lords will..would not want to be without him...you talk about being poor you have no idea...
Amen.

I'm afraid that if I prayed for chocolate milk I would end up with a carton of chicken shyt that just smelled like chocolate milk..... :lol2: :lol2:

ALACOWMAN":ae8sj7kg said:
I believe in the power of prayer...and the the Lords will..woulld not want to be without him...you talk about being poor you have no idea...
:clap: :clap: :clap:!

This shows that I'm a lot younger, but ....

I used to pray for a Nintendo, all my friends had one, but not me, and never got one.

Now I pray to the good Lord a prayer of thanks, for never answering 'yes' to me wanting that Nintendo.

today, you couldn't pay me money to sit in front of one of those ZBOXs or whatevers popular today.

IT's not comparable to choc. milk, but shows that God has a plan in how he answers all our prayers.

I owe thanks to my parents also as being a part of God's answer to my Nintendo prayer, which was always "no"

My parents weren't poor but definetly were not wealthy, and they spent smart. The extra money they did have went to sports and summer camps and select travel sports teams instead of to videos games and other brain rotting activites.

Latest posts