Power chip

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am hunting better fuel mileage out of my F-250 super duty. I am currently getting about 15.5 miles to the gal. Has anyone tried one of the perfomance chips and did it help your fuel mileage?

denoginnizer":2nnihkat said:
I am hunting better fuel mileage out of my F-250 super duty. I am currently getting about 15.5 miles to the gal. Has anyone tried one of the perfomance chips and did it help your fuel mileage?

That sure seems low are changing your oil and air filter enough both affect mileage. Are you falling for the old B.S. and leaving it idling for long period of time is cheaper and uses less fuel than recranking the engine.

No idling for long periods of time but it has been a few (maybe 5) months :oops: since I changed the filter. I will get one tomorrow.

I've haven't tried achip but a friend of mine did and he said it gave it more power (which mine already has plenty for me) but didn't help with feul milage. I'm happy with mine the way it is

denoginnizer":2x8obog0 said:
No idling for long periods of time but it has been a few (maybe 5) months :oops: since I changed the filter. I will get one tomorrow.

Try a K&N filter a little more money up front but you don't have to replace it just clean increases air flow. Oil viscosity also affects mileage as the injector pump is hydraulicly driven. Also who's diesel are you buying and what is the cetane rating, might try a couple of tanks with power service plus increases cetane and cleans injectors.

I wouldn't recommend K&N filters. If you want a cleanable filter with less restriction, get an AFE. K&N does allow more airflow, but it also allows more dirt. Trust me, I could go into great detail and give you lots of referrences on this, but I don't have time right now. Just remember, the longevity of a diesel motor has a lot to do with the cleanliness of air, fuel and oil that are put into it. Fewer RPMs than gas motors also contributes.

If I have time later I'll post a study on the quality of different brands of air filters.

Don't know about the chip, but diesel fuel makes a huge difference on my Dodge. Empty freeway driving I will get between 21 and 24 MPG depending upon whose diesel I buy. Flying J seems to be the worst for me. Loaded I will get between 14 and 17 depending upon the fuel.

I changed my filter but still no improvement in mileage. I used the cheap paper kind. I will try buying my fuel from a different store with a different supplier and see if that helps. The best this truck ever got was about 17 and that was when it was new. It has about 50000 miles on it now and different tires. :idea: You know, I bet those tires are my problem.

Tires can be a problem. Another thing I have learned that makes a significant difference in fuel economy on the diesels is your RPM at cruising speed. Keeping your rpm under 2000 makes a considerable difference. I am running 2000 rpm at about 70 MPH. I usually set my cruise at about 65 to 68.

denoginnizer":3u51obu0 said:
I changed my filter but still no improvement in mileage. I used the cheap paper kind. I will try buying my fuel from a different store with a different supplier and see if that helps. The best this truck ever got was about 17 and that was when it was new. It has about 50000 miles on it now and different tires. :idea: You know, I bet those tires are my problem.

Diesel is a fungible product that goes in a pool. Because you buy Chevron doesn't mean your getting Chevron diesel. You need to find out who supplies the jobber BP Shell etc. Differenent jobbers have different suppliers. Texaco is the only station in our area that offers a premium diesel with a 46 cetane rating. That does not mean it is Texaco diesel only they market a 46 cetane rated diesel.

I wish I were getting 15.5 mpg!!! I have a 2002 f-350 4x4 dually and I am getting 13 mpg. I have put in the PowerService+ and I am happy with the 1 mpg increase it looks like I am getting. If I drive 65 everywhere I can up it to 15 mpg. I have a tuner but I haven't used it yet with this truck. I did get about a 2-3 mpg increase with my F-250. I will try it on my next tank of fuel. I have been buying my diesel at the Moble truck station, it says on the pump "This is not moble branded diesel fuel" I don't know where it is from though.

sidney411":ndiyqrlt said:
I wish I were getting 15.5 mpg!!! I have a 2002 f-350 4x4 dually and I am getting 13 mpg. I have put in the PowerService+ and I am happy with the 1 mpg increase it looks like I am getting. If I drive 65 everywhere I can up it to 15 mpg. I have a tuner but I haven't used it yet with this truck. I did get about a 2-3 mpg increase with my F-250. I will try it on my next tank of fuel. I have been buying my diesel at the Moble truck station, it says on the pump "This is not moble branded diesel fuel" I don't know where it is from though.

If you have a 410 rear end 15 is excellent. The 7.3 Navistar diesel is most efficent in the 1800 to 2000 rpm range. Try some Texaco premium diesel with a 46 cetane rating. F250 come standard with a 373 rear end you are not comparing apples to apples.

I have no clue what the rear end is, I don't know the difference in them. I have not seen where the cetane rating is on a diesel pump. I have seen grade 1 or 2 though. The PowerService says it raises the cetane level by 6 points if you use double what it says it will treat.

If you have the standard size tires on it that came with the truck new, you should be running 2000 RPM at about 68 to 69 MPH. If so, you have a 3:73 Rear End. If you get over 2000 RPM at cruising speed you are going to suck down more fuel.

Sounds to me like you must have a 4:10 gear ratio. If so, you are going to sacrifice fuel economy for the power. You have a pulling machine and if you are getting 15 then that is pretty darn good.

sidney411":20yc0sqb said:
I have no clue what the rear end is, I don't know the difference in them. I have not seen where the cetane rating is on a diesel pump. I have seen grade 1 or 2 though. The PowerService says it raises the cetane level by 6 points if you use double what it says it will treat.

Number 2 diesel is 42 cetane rating. Diesel consist of a C-12 to C-24 hydrocarbon Cetane is a C-16 molecule, as Octane is a C-8. The higher the cetane less kero blended at the refinery so you are getting more stored energy per pound. We sell fuel by the gallon not by the pound this is why a diesel seems to get better mileage over a gasoline engine. You get more pounds per gallon with diesel than gasoline. One gallon of diesel has 160 MBTU's to a gallon of gasoline has 125 MBTU's per gallon.

Wow C.C.! You sure know about your fuel! I have no idea what most of what you said means. Am i understanding right to say that #2 diesel will get better fuel mileage then #1 diesel? I am assuming that most places sell the #1 fuel since most places don't say what they are selling. What is MBTU?

sidney411":2djz5rkw said:
Wow C.C.! You sure know about your fuel! I have no idea what most of what you said means. Am i understanding right to say that #2 diesel will get better fuel mileage then #1 diesel? I am assuming that most places sell the #1 fuel since most places don't say what they are selling. What is MBTU?

I should thats what I do for a living. MBTU stands for Thousand British Thermal Units. No 1 Diesel has more Kero to give it a lower cloud and pour point for our Northern neighbors.
Not to get into hydrocarbon chemistry lesson, what color diesel you are buying green or greenish yellow.

Latest posts