power adjust rim

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
I need to replace one of the rear rims on the ole David Brown 880. It has the power adjust style rims on the back. They are pricey! Is it possible to convert to a different style rim? It just came apart yesterday so I need to start finding a replacement tomorrow. Thanks.

As long as the bolt pattern is correct and the dish depth is correct so it will clear I don't see why not. Lots of tractor junkyards will have some decent ones also.

When you say "...it came apart", what has failed? I have those wheels on a 730 Case and two years ago I notice a rusted area around the valve stem. I took the tire off thinking I could weld it up pretty easily. When I started working in it the rusted area went 30" around the rim under the adjusting bars.

As you have discovered getting a new wheel made is around $800. Finding an old replacement takes an lot of time. I got some sheeting and started cutting and welding. Probably took 8-10 hours of work divided over a few days.

If you're going to purchase a wheel and you do not use the power adjust, simply get a wheel without the adjust feature. You could more easily find a pair of wheels that use the tire size you need. If I wasn't able to fix the wheel I would have changed size because my tractor has 16.9 x 38 tires. They are not very popular size and could get wheels for wider or taller tires easily, and my tires do what I need but far from excellent, so replacing wasnt a big issue.

D2Cat same problem as yours. The rim had been leaking around the valve stem for years and had weakened the rim until it split longways about 6-8 inches along the lip of the rim. We had tried to stop the leak but finally gave up. I believe I have found a replacement rim but I would rather go to a dish style if I can find one that has the correct bot pattern and depth as Kenny Thomas mentioned. I just wasn't sure if there was a dish style replacement available.

Latest posts