loss of power

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
my 2004 kubota bogs down going uphill, darn near completely stalls. I changed the fuel filter and blew out the air filter. No positive effect. Added seafoam and running it thru. Any other thoughts on the problem/ cure.

Sounds like a fuel restriction somewhere. Couple of thoughts. Check that there's not some plastic shavings or a piece of trash that is being sucked into a line between the tank and filter. Also check to see if the fuel pump happens to have a filter or filter element or something similar. Sounds like it's only an issue when fuel usage is high.

You have a clog or a dirty filter in your water separator. Clean it. You might have a hole in a fuel line. It would usually smell but not always. Your hose from the fuel tank is restricted. Try blowing it out back into the tank.

I went through this problem for quite a while. It ended up being a bug or some kind of fuz in the elbow of the fuel separator where the fuel line comes out. Its pretty simple to just take the fuel perpetrator off and clean it real good.

Is the plunger on top the fuel filter getting sucked down? If so the system is starving for fuel.

My friend had a kubota with the same problem, and I've heard of it MANY times now.. remove fuel filter and backflush the feed line with compressed air for a temporary fix, or take everything apart and find out where it's got casting flash in an elbow.. there were some defective elbows and such that caught any piece of garbage in the fuel and you'd get a clog there

Do you have a bleed port on your pump. CAV pumps on my Fords will shoot a stream 3 ft out from the port at cranking speeds. If it can't back track to the tank including the filter screen in the tank fuel outlet. If it can, maybe time for a new seal kit on your pump. Sure your injectors are doing their job....bled them lately?

Nesikep said:
My friend had a kubota with the same problem, and I've heard of it MANY times now.. remove fuel filter and backflush the feed line with compressed air for a temporary fix, or take everything apart and find out where it's got casting flash in an elbow.. there were some defective elbows and such that caught any piece of garbage in the fuel and you'd get a clog there

My guess would be black algae clogging the suction on the fuel line.
If you blow it out have a bucket of filters in hand. Been to that rodeo.

It sounds like a fuel blockage to me as well. I had a 5400 JD that would run fine pulling a kicker or rake. When I hooked a roller to it would not have enough power to get out of its own way. I found a small piece of wood in the bottom of the fuel tank partially blocking the intake. It ran fine after I got it out.

Caustic Burno said:
Nesikep said:

My guess would be black algae clogging the suction on the fuel line.
If you blow it out have a bucket of filters in hand. Been to that rodeo.
algae certainly doesn't help anything, but the real cause is there's a defect in some of the elbows with the casting flash

I had a similar problem on my IH 684, it would never drip fuel but it could suck air in and lose power.. Finally I broke down and removed all the fittings from the fuel tank, they were clogged with rusty crap, blew out the balance line between the two halves of the tank and the line to the filter, been fine since.. really frustrating problems

I had a Case 464 (little gas mini tractor) and it had a few bits of sawdust in the tank, and a plastic elbow with casting flash that would catch it and clog well before the filter.. took a while to find!

papavillars said:
thanks everyone. Hopefully after i backblow it will run.
It should get you going, though if the garbage comes back down the line it'll probably jam up there again.. Maybe take it apart as a winter project and figure out exactly where the hangup is

I think you see the genreal consensus that is here. There is something somewhere restrcting the flow of fuel or air is getting in. I agree with Nessie, if you back blow it, it may run for a while but it could happen again. I would start with the simplest things first and work backward from there. Make sure the gasket on the fuel separator is not bad or worn also. If it were me, since it needs to come off anyway for cleaning, I would just get a new replacment.

Does it have a water separator under the cab probably on the right side? There is a fitting as the fuel line comes into.it from the fuel tank that stops up. Blowing it out really helps. There is another one somewhere on the pump that gives problems on certain models. Ask your Kubota dealer

What model Kubota as some have a water separate bowl and some don't. Have you had a problem with water before in your fuel? I would put some biocide in the fuel. Sometimes when a lot of water gets in will overfill the bowl, the filter and then get into the pump. Changing the filter and draining the bowl does not get it until all out of the pump. Will probably throw a code until all out of the pump.(if not drained out of the pump it take several hours running down on power to leave the pump) If overran with water take the fuel lines loose at the injector and crank until clear diesel comes out. You might could have an injector problem (one not spraying properly) as you did not say how many hours. Does it smoke bad when down on power? Also some models have an electrical fuel pump to the injector pump...

papavillars said:
my 2004 kubota bogs down going uphill, darn near completely stalls. I changed the fuel filter and blew out the air filter. No positive effect. Added seafoam and running it thru. Any other thoughts on the problem/ cure.

Does it happen with a full tank of fuel. How steep is the hill. Also people that use a 5 gal fuel can for fuel takes a big chance of introducing contaminants and trash into the fuel tank. Low fuel level in tank and steep hill could have the fuel lower than the pump if the fuel is gravity flow.

i definitely only use 5 gallon cans to refill. it is a 04 model with 495 hours on it. the fluids are changed yearly on oil and four years on hydro oil.I only have 100 acres here and half in deep woods. I havebeen sick all week with something but now taking a load of hay to the farm and will continue search for problem. i really appreciate all the help.

yes somewhat. changed filter and blew out lines. i am in the pfocess of taking off the tank and cleaning it.tank has leaves and bits of wood in it. don't know how that happened. i used a go pro camera to look in tank