Putting power back in the Powerstroke

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear56

Reaction score
I'm needing to put some power back in my 7.3. It's an early 99 model F350 crew cab dually with 253k on it. It's factory other than a cold air kit and has a rebuilt trans in it with less than 40k on it. It's currently a gutless wonder but I really like the truck and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 more years.

I've looked at tuners and bigger exhaust but also considered just getting the injectors rebuilt. I'm fairly confident the injectors are original. In the end I think the price would be about the same either way. I like the idea of keeping it stock-ish. I don't need to roll coal or pull huge loads with it but I also don't want to worry about getting run over merging on the interstate. Just wanted to get some opinions.

If it was me and I was confident the injectors were good I'd put a tuner in and run it on economy. I had a '02 Powerstroke with the cold air kit, and installed a Superchip. Just on economy (where I kept it most of the time) it became much more crisp, responsive and enjoyable to drive. Totally changed the truck.

Many will agree a TS performance 6 position chip is the way to go for a tuner. Run it on +50 or +75 and enjoy. Also the high idle setting if great for winter time warm ups.

Thanks guys. I've been told by a few people the Hydra Chip works really well on a stock 7.3 as well. Just wonder if I need to go to a bigger exhaust to keep EGTs down?

Make sure the up pipe on the turbo isn't leaking, very common on those. I swear my truck picked up 50hp when I fixed it. Stock 7.3( including injectors) with 413k on it. Even hauling it spends as much time in the passing lane as it does getting passed. Keep the tune on it less than 75hp and you shouldn't have to much trouble.

Make sure the up pipe on the turbo isn't leaking, very common on those. I swear my truck picked up 50hp when I fixed it. Stock 7.3( including injectors) with 413k on it. Even hauling it spends as much time in the passing lane as it does getting passed. Keep the tune on it less than 75hp and you shouldn't have to much trouble.
I'm assuming it was leaking at the turbo?

No it leaks where it hooks to the manifold I think. If yours is original I would bet you dinner it needs replacing. They make a metal bellowed one to replace the OEM. It will sound almost like an exhaust leak when you are accelerating but higher up and at the back of the motor. I had a shop do mine but if your mechanical it is not to difficult as far as I know. Really made a difference though, I was surprised how much.

Latest posts