Power chip

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":14gcxcew said:
I think mine is greenish yellow.
I bet you can just smell it and tell where it came from :lol:

More than likely has a high percentage of LCCO in it which is low cetane and highly aromatic versus parrifinic so you are getting less pounds of fuel per gallon. Known as flufing the barrel.

It is sort of chartruse (sp). I told my husband I wanted to use the red diesel to match my last truck ;-) he didn't find that amuzing. I guess I have never seen any green looking diesel. The greener the better? I will have to look at more places now I am curious. So the yellow is like watering down gasoline? but for diesel? Interesting.

I know the red if dyed farm diesel, I was trying to make a joke with my husband and he didn't think it was funny.

Thanks Camp for all of your wonderful teaching, I learn something new everyday!

sidney411":z1h7rzka said:
I know the red if dyed farm diesel, I was trying to make a joke with my husband and he didn't think it was funny.

Thanks Camp for all of your wonderful teaching, I learn something new everyday!

The LCCO would be like putting little balls in a bucket because of its Napthenic properties. Straight run diesel is like filling the same bucket with spagetti due to its paraffinic properties. You can get more pounds of spagetti in the gallon bucket than the little balls. This end todays hydrocarbon chemistry lesson.

Campground Cattle":cggsbi0c said:
sidney411":cggsbi0c said:
Wow C.C.! You sure know about your fuel! I have no idea what most of what you said means. Am i understanding right to say that #2 diesel will get better fuel mileage then #1 diesel? I am assuming that most places sell the #1 fuel since most places don't say what they are selling. What is MBTU?

I should thats what I do for a living. MBTU stands for Thousand British Thermal Units. No 1 Diesel has more Kero to give it a lower cloud and pour point for our Northern neighbors.
Not to get into hydrocarbon chemistry lesson, what color diesel you are buying green or greenish yellow.
I may have been wrong about you at first Campground Cattle Company. Any man that will share what he has learned from his job just to help other people out is all right in my book!!!! :) Understanding more about diesel fuel will be a big help to all of us. Thank you

Role of Diesel in U.S. Economy

The trucking industry, America's motoring public, farm communities, commercial vehicle operators and others must all be assured a consistent and reliable source of supply. These vital industries may be severely impacted by reduced supplies and increased costs resulting from this rulemaking, and the consequent effect on the economy will be widespread.

Vehicles powered by heavy duty diesel are an essential element in the commercial distribution of goods and services in the United States. The EPA regulators must assess the decisions they are making and weigh the risks which new, costly and unrealistic standards could have on the country's ability to move goods and services. A reliable source of diesel supply for these customers could be threatened if the EPA proposal becomes final.

Refiners Offered A Reasonable Plan to Reduce Sulfur

The refining industry agrees that the sulfur levels in diesel must be reduced, but the program must be reasonable. The industry proposed a plan to EPA that would lower the current limit of 500 ppm of sulfur in diesel fuel to a limit of 50 ppm -- a 90% reduction. This is a very significant step. It will enable diesel engines to meet the particulate matter standards sought by EPA and also achieve significant NOx reductions. Our plan can yield a 90% reduction in particulate matter and a 75% reduction in NOx emissions from new heavy-duty diesel engines. Industry's plan is still expensive -- we estimate it will cost the industry roughly $4 billion to implement. But, unlike EPA's extreme and much more costly proposal, the level of sulfur reduction proposed by industry is attainable and sustainable. Most refiners would choose to make the investments needed to meet a 50 ppm sulfur limit. Most refineries will be able to comply with this 90% reduction by making capital investments to upgrade existing facilities or by building new capacity.

The industry has shared this proposal with regulators. NPRA and its members have had protracted discussions with EPA and have tried to suggest reasonable ways to reduce diesel emissions. Unfortunately, industry's plan has been rejected and ignored by EPA.

Double A Ranch":lkso1uoq said:
Whew! I have no idea about most of what you said Campground Cattle. :oops: Thanks for posting it though. :)

The EPA is going to break it off in us in 2006 with new ultra low sulfur diesel. This is to get catalytic convertors on diesel engines. Look for this years prices to be mild until the industry lines out and finds a way to increase capacity or Uncle Sam backs off. The ultra low sulfur diesel impact is going to effect everthing from a dozen eggs to a roll of toilet paper prices. This country moves on diesel.

can any one give me a GOOD reason why diesel is more expensive than the higher octane fuels??
seems to me that diesel is less refined therfore costs less to produce yet costs more at the pump!
paid $2.43.9 yesterday!!

memanpa":6ywnmal0 said:
can any one give me a GOOD reason why diesel is more expensive than the higher octane fuels??
seems to me that diesel is less refined therfore costs less to produce yet costs more at the pump!
paid $2.43.9 yesterday!!

Yep

I am almost afraid to get into this, but there is an aspect to fuel pricing that has nothing to do with what it costs to buy as crude, and to turn it into fuel.

CC works in the plant - I was a regional manager in sales.

In 1995 I worked for a publicly traded company in western Canada while we started up our cattle operation. I was the guy who set the price at the pumps at our operations in northern Alberta, northern B.C. and along parts of the Alaska highway to Watson Lake. Basically I was responsible for managing a bunch of fuel ops that made us fairly good coin.

My mandate was to make money.

Profitability and what the market will bear always come into play. Usually I made it a point to be the second to go up (after an integrated major)
and the first to follow down. When shareholders demand profitability this becomes a real player.

It is amazing how some people will literally drive 30 miles to save a penny. Prince George was my favourite example of this - Dawson Creek not far behind. I bet CA has been to at least one of my old ops.

What many forget is the amount of tax in a gallon / litre of fuel. Fed and State / Prov governments like their revenue as well. While it does cause some to twist and turn, there are many who profit from fuel pricing. Prices go up and the tax portion rises right along as well.

The biggest problem is to balance the requirements of all the external agencies and at the same time keep the shareholder happy - and NEVER lose your market share.

In the end, there will be pressures from all industries to keep the price down. What will happen is they will not stay down. Supply and demand combined with world pricing makes us all subject to pricing swings.

Economize as much as possible. If demand falls - then and only then will prices fall.

When a downstream operation such as ours was, has to purchase it's fuel from a refinery at rack price and then put it to bed in the tank - then sell it - there are some rather large dollars at risk - especially for the little guys out there.

Profit is the key. To put it in a way that some will not like:

It is a captive market - totally different from our beef market. North Americans cannot survive without fuel. If we do not pay, we do not get. So open your wallets - too bad for you - and, I might add - me! :lol:

Beef on the other hand ALWAYS has someone who is willing to sell for a penny less - so there will always be cheap food available.

Makes one think sometimes,

Bez

Bez":9liixl1n said:
I am almost afraid to get into this, but there is an aspect to fuel pricing that has nothing to do with what it costs to buy as crude, and to turn it into fuel.

CC works in the plant - I was a regional manager in sales.

In 1995 I worked for a publicly traded company in western Canada while we started up our cattle operation. I was the guy who set the price at the pumps at our operations in northern Alberta, northern B.C. and along parts of the Alaska highway to Watson Lake. Basically I was responsible for managing a bunch of fuel ops that made us fairly good coin.

My mandate was to make money.

Profitability and what the market will bear always come into play. Usually I made it a point to be the second to go up (after an integrated major)
and the first to follow down. When shareholders demand profitability this becomes a real player.

It is amazing how some people will literally drive 30 miles to save a penny. Prince George was my favourite example of this - Dawson Creek not far behind. I bet CA has been to at least one of my old ops.

What many forget is the amount of tax in a gallon / litre of fuel. Fed and State / Prov governments like their revenue as well. While it does cause some to twist and turn, there are many who profit from fuel pricing. Prices go up and the tax portion rises right along as well.

The biggest problem is to balance the requirements of all the external agencies and at the same time keep the shareholder happy - and NEVER lose your market share.

In the end, there will be pressures from all industries to keep the price down. What will happen is they will not stay down. Supply and demand combined with world pricing makes us all subject to pricing swings.

Economize as much as possible. If demand falls - then and only then will prices fall.

When a downstream operation such as ours was, has to purchase it's fuel from a refinery at rack price and then put it to bed in the tank - then sell it - there are some rather large dollars at risk - especially for the little guys out there.

Profit is the key. To put it in a way that some will not like:

It is a captive market - totally different from our beef market. North Americans cannot survive without fuel. If we do not pay, we do not get. So open your wallets - too bad for you - and, I might add - me! :lol:

Beef on the other hand ALWAYS has someone who is willing to sell for a penny less - so there will always be cheap food available.

Makes one think sometimes,

Bez

Bez from a refining stand point we can convert diesel to gasoline or leave as a residual fuel oil. Right now it is more profitable to charge FCCU and Hdryocracking units diesel and convert to gasoline.

CC

I get ya'.

And from the sales point of view -as well as the shareholder - profit on the downstream fuel sales will always be the golden goose.

It does tend to get people upset though.

But uless there is an answer to this - people are going to pay.

Now you know why some CEO's make the big dollar. Nice salary, but they do tend to live under a fair amount of pressure - media, public, government and so on.

Bez

Regarding the power chip issue to improve mileage in the F series, I've heard a number of people on the F series users board complain about problems developing with their engines after they started using the chips. Maybe its just people are more likely to visit a users board when they have problems and hence skew the statistics. Here's a link to the F series users board for anyone interested.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum ... forumid=31

7.3L 4x4 f250

I didn't pay too close attention to the spec's on your truck. Like some said here tires, gears, and tranny make a lot of difference. I run a 6 OH! and get around 13 pulling 6000 pounds of gooseneck. I have quite a haul to get to the farm so I usually run 75-85 depending on traffic. At those speeds I get around 17-18 MPG with a chip. The chip may have helped the mileage a little but not much. My old 7.3 manual 4x4 with 4.10 gears got around 15 HW running ~70 MPH, 11-13 pulling a loaded trailer. It was chipped also.

BTW, an unchipped Ford is regulated to 95MPH max. The chip takes this limit off. Also when you hit the 100MPH mark the speedometer will return to zero. :lol:

I chipped mine because I just like to see the faces of the kids around here when I smoke their little rice rockets with those big ol garbage can mufflers. Not that I needed the chip to do it but when I go I don't fool around.

Latest posts