Post pics of your place

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":1hcjtl9u said:
wbvs58":1hcjtl9u said:
They are all eucalypt, the ones closest in the 1st photo I think are Yellow Box, there are some big Red Gum there and a lot of Stringy bark. In our soil we don't get them going very tall and they quickly branch out.

Ken

In the last photo with snow on the ground there appears to be a wind turbine for producing power in the back ground. Is that what it is and are you on grid or off.

Yes we are off the power grid, the battery shed is just to the right of the cattle crate, I have two banks of the big Century Yuasa lead acid batteries which I alternate daily. The wind turbine does help when overcast as we often get a bit of wind then from the east but when we get a lot of overcast weather I will run a small generator during the evening when power consumption is higher until I go to bed but not to charge the batteries.

Just an aside, I scored the 2nd bank of batteries from a neighbour who had them replaced under an insurance claim after a lightning strike on his wind turbine took out his charge controller and inverter. They thought it damaged his batteries as well so replaced them which is the most expensive part of a system. I got them and set them up and put a few equalising charges through them and they are as good as gold, I knew they wouldn't have been damaged. There are people around that set up these systems and put the various components together for exorbitant costs but very few people that really know what is going on and can fault find accurately, they just keep replacing components at big expense until something works. Ironically my neighbours wind turbine which was his biggest source of power is still out of action about two years after the lightening strike because he can't get anyone to fix his charge controller, I can get him one for about $500 on ebay but he is hesitant to go that route.

I live about half way up the Eastern part of Australia and a bit inland at an altitude of 960 metres (bit over 3000') which makes for milder summer temps with lower humidity than on the coast. I am at 28.69 degrees S which puts at similar latitude to the northern part of Florida except south of the equator.

Ken

wbvs58":1tzncgg2 said:
hurleyjd":1tzncgg2 said:
wbvs58":1tzncgg2 said:
They are all eucalypt, the ones closest in the 1st photo I think are Yellow Box, there are some big Red Gum there and a lot of Stringy bark. In our soil we don't get them going very tall and they quickly branch out.

Ken

In the last photo with snow on the ground there appears to be a wind turbine for producing power in the back ground. Is that what it is and are you on grid or off.

Yes we are off the power grid, the battery shed is just to the right of the cattle crate, I have two banks of the big Century Yuasa lead acid batteries which I alternate daily. The wind turbine does help when overcast as we often get a bit of wind then from the east but when we get a lot of overcast weather I will run a small generator during the evening when power consumption is higher until I go to bed but not to charge the batteries.

Just an aside, I scored the 2nd bank of batteries from a neighbour who had them replaced under an insurance claim after a lightning strike on his wind turbine took out his charge controller and inverter. They thought it damaged his batteries as well so replaced them which is the most expensive part of a system. I got them and set them up and put a few equalising charges through them and they are as good as gold, I knew they wouldn't have been damaged. There are people around that set up these systems and put the various components together for exorbitant costs but very few people that really know what is going on and can fault find accurately, they just keep replacing components at big expense until something works. Ironically my neighbours wind turbine which was his biggest source of power is still out of action about two years after the lightening strike because he can't get anyone to fix his charge controller, I can get him one for about $500 on ebay but he is hesitant to go that route.

I live about half way up the Eastern part of Australia and a bit inland at an altitude of 960 metres (bit over 3000') which makes for milder summer temps with lower humidity than on the coast. I am at 28.69 degrees S which puts at similar latitude to the northern part of Florida except south of the equator.

Ken

Do you think the batteries that Elon Musk of Telsa fame will take off for residential use.

hurleyjd":3bn8x7p9 said:
wbvs58":3bn8x7p9 said:
hurleyjd":3bn8x7p9 said:

Ken

Do you think the batteries that Elon Musk of Telsa fame will take off for residential use.

I don't know a lot about them but I don't see why not especially as the cost comes down. In my neck of the woods power is becoming very expensive for homes and solar panels feeding back to the grid have been very popular with about 50% of houses with panels. Having your own storage is the next step.

Ken

Below are a handful of photos from our place. Our ranch is about 800 acres in the Gainesville area.
Sunrise over a pond
Sunset_1.jpg

Part of our cow herd with their calves back in April or May
Murray_Grey_Cow_Herd_2016.jpg

Springtime
Clear_Creek.jpg

One of our two river bottoms
513.jpg

Sunset
133.jpg

Latest posts