Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU MOVE TO THE APPALACHIANS.
1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5. Onced and Twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!
7. Jawl-P? means: Did you all go to the bathroom?
8. People actually grow, eat, and like okra.
9. Fixinto is one word. It means I'm going to do something.
10. There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.
11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.
12. Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.
13. The word jeet is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.
16. Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural.
17. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.
18. You carry jumper cables in your car for your OWN car.
19. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco, and ketchup.
20. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, motorsports, and gossip.
21. Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss (first name), or Mr (first name)
22. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
23. You know what a hissy fit is..
24. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
25. We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!
26. You understand these jokes and forward them to your Appalachian friends and those who just wish they were from the Appalachians.
AND one more:
27. Why did the chicken cross the road? To show that stupid possum that it CAN be done!

N491cLN.jpg

It's been a strange Thanksgiving. We are having it tomorrow, and having Mexican because that's the only thing everyone can agree on.
Our family is like a box of crayons, which I enjoy very much. They all just started rolling in a couple hours ago, and I'm already sneaking away for my first break.

They all talk fast (or could be that I listen slow). I just need to get outside for a bit. Caught this one while I'm out.
93F053D8-1AB7-4DE9-949D-1DCDFB10F802.jpeg

Attachments

• 87FD0E8C-0411-4857-8397-287AA3229361.jpeg
    87FD0E8C-0411-4857-8397-287AA3229361.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
The old man placed an order for one hamburger, French fries, and a drink. He unwrapped the plain hamburger and carefully cut in half, placing one half in front of his wife.
He then carefully counted out the French fries, dividing them into two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife. He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them.
As he began to eat his few bites of hamburger, the people around them were looking over and whispering. Obviously they were thinking, 'That poor old couple-all they can afford is one meal for the two of them.'
As the man began to eat his fries a young man came to the table and politely offered to buy another meal for the old couple. The old man said, they were just fine-they were used to sharing everything. People closer to the table noticed the little old lady hadn't eaten a bite. She sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally taking turns sipping the drink.
Again, the young man came over and begged them to let him buy another meal for them. This time the old woman said,
"No, thank you, we are used to sharing everything."
Finally, as the old man finished and was wiping his face neatly with the napkin, the young man again came over to the little old lady who had yet to eat a single bite of food and asked,
"What is it you are waiting for?"
She answered, "My turn for the Teeth."

3bZ6SsP.jpg

How much did you get. We got around 12 or 13 inches, and it is still snowing.
We lucked out and only have 4-5" so far. When the upslope hits the Wind River Front it gets fun.

Nice thing here is we should be sunny and mid 30s by Tuesday and melt most of it. If the wind kicks up it is just enough snow to make some snowdrifts that can cause some problems. Holding off feeding cows as long as I can. Probably start cake first of December (beginning of 3rd trimester)

New water system on a pasture we partner on. Pump is set at 580 feet. Storage tank is 5000 gallons but will only use storage in the summer. This was a water haul pasture before.
Wow, that's deep. What is the static level of the well? What does it cost to drill a foot of cased well there?
Looks nice.

This was an expensive project with 50% cost share by state water development commission. Well drilling $37/ft first 500' then $40/ft next 100' to 600' total depth. Mobilization, drilled and cased $26.5k. Pump, wire, drop pipe, panels, plumbing, tire tank, etc. all installed by contractor was another $29k. Storage tank is a repurposed fertilizer tank from neighbors for $500. Still working on cleaning it up before we use it for storage. Pic of the tank when I hauled it. Used back roads for 60 mile haul.

Attachments

• IMG_20231026_154922.jpg
    IMG_20231026_154922.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Wow, that's deep. What is the static level of the well? What does it cost to drill a foot of cased well there?
Looks nice.
Static water level was 280' if I recall correctly. It was producing 12-14 gpm on generator and around 5-6 gpm with the 6 solar panels.

On edit: Static water level was down at 440'.

Last edited:
We had a dry hole two years ago and had to reload funds to take another run at it. Different driller second time. His witching rods showed a vein of water about 40' wide and drilled in the middle of it. Was about 120' south of the dry hole in 2021.

Latest posts