Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

I can see the beginnings of some color. Kodachrome 2.0?
Maybe, but in reality, that Ford pickup was light blue.

4 wires.. Yes, the house was wired and powered by 3 phase.

Today, it would be typed as a barn dominium. Was told it was built in the late 30s and went thru several makeovers before Dad bought it around 1956. Doesn't look like much in the picture but it was a wonderful home and I really had a good & fun (tho lots of hard work) upbringing there. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The building is long gone now, as my brother inherited the property in 2008, had the whole thing torn down, remains hauled away and sold the lot. At the time the picture was taken, almost right across the street was a brand new building that was The Phone Company. Southwestern Bell back then but it's something called Frontier Communications now. Not an office where ya paid your bill, but The Phone Company, where the mysterious workings that made your calls go thru was located. Just a big building, with a walk in front door and a few employees (2-3) and when there wasn't much traffic and especially if they had the door open, you could hear a constant 'clack-clack clack clack clack clack ' that never ended tho it did slow down late at night. I guess I was about 13 when I saw the door open and a couple of men standing around outside and I walked over and asked what they did and they said "we take care of the machines inside there" I asked if I could look inside.

One of them said "Yeah, I guess but just for a minute , And DON'T TOUCH NOTHING!" I had never seen anything like it. It was just row after row after row of tall busy machines and you could see all the parts just moving back and forth and up and down. It was loud too, and I was amazed and my eyes probably got big as saucers. We quickly went back out, and I asked him what all that was and he explained it was where our calls went thru and got directed to whoever we called.
I never looked at a telephone the same way again.

108jonesrd.jpg

It is an interesting time sponge to search historical aerial/satellite images for places we've lived. I recently found a good quality aerial of our area taken in 1955. It is better resolution than satellite images, only exceptions being those rendered in the last 10 years.

Maybe, but in reality, that Ford pickup was light blue.

4 wires.. Yes, the house was wired and powered by 3 phase.

Today, it would be typed as a barn dominium. Was told it was built in the late 30s and went thru several makeovers before Dad bought it around 1956. Doesn't look like much in the picture but it was a wonderful home and I really had a good & fun (tho lots of hard work) upbringing there. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I have 3 phase power at my shed on my block closer to town however we only have the 3 active wires going into the property, the neutral wire is bonded to the ground at my switchboard (earth/neutral link)

Ken

the neutral wire is bonded to the ground at my switchboard (earth/neutral link)
In the USA (I don't know about Canada) NEC stipulates that ground and neutral can be bonded at 'first means of disconnect' (usually meaning main distribution panel (maybe what you call a switchboard) and that's normally the only place that neu/grnd bond is permissible.

Lots of folks tho, ignore that, especially in outbuildings that are fed off their home's main panel. It sometimes backfires on them

A woodpecker's nest from a downed tree at the park a few years ago. My daughter asked me to come talk to her first graders on April 22 (earth day). I'll take this and a cross-section of a pine that was at least 135 years old - probably closer to 150 - hard to count some of the outer rings - I counted up to 135 before the rings got too hard to see out toward the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 14
I walked in the shadow of true heroes yesterday morning, right after sunrise. It was hard for me to read the words family and friends left for their loved ones but not because of the dim light... On the outside of the center obelisk, are 13 stone stanchions, each with a picture of of these fine young soldiers, snatched from life here, with a message from their next of kin cut in stone on the back side. If one can read even a single one of the messages and not feel humbled but so extremely proud at the same time, , there's something wrong with ya.

KIMG0518.JPG

KIMG0514.JPG

KIMG0513.JPG

KIMG0512.JPG

KIMG0520.JPG

If you're ever in Killeen Tx, it's near the intersection of W.S. Young and Elms St, and directly in front of Shilo Hotel. Within 100 yards, is the memorial to Korean War veterans and US Army Lt Col Don Faith (C.O. of Task Force Faith and MOH awardee)

KIMG0515.JPG

KIMG0517.JPG

main-qimg-e147c56a39092fd3e22eb342cf83eeb6

Latest posts