Possum Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
You know dogs have it good when they can go possum hunting from inside the house.
I feed my cats on the back porch, and they come up occasionally, so I keep food there for them. A passing possum will discover it from time to time, and show up on top of the table there.

These are the ugliest animals I have ever seen...

We can see the table and the pan that holds the cat food from the living room. Of course Abbey, Jack Russell and Buster a Blue Heeler are in the living room too. The double windows make a reflection from outside and you cannot see inside.
When the possum jumps up on the table, both dogs go flying to the back door, with the little one, Abbey pushing her nose tight against the crack of the door. No one is allowed to go out first, past her. I open the door and they spring out like Greyhounds at the race track.

This is the fastest possum I have ever seen. There is no rambling walk as he dives off the table, and skirts around the edge of the back porch, then hits the ground. He looks like he is running 20mph. The porch is really high, so if they can't catch him before he jumps, they have to come back and go around the steps. Where this possum goes after jumping, I have no idea, but the dogs can't find him. I believe that he is going up the Viburnum tree/bush at the corner of the house.
The possum must have dementia because here he comes back in about 30 minutes to face the same scenario.

When the dogs come back in the house, they go back and forth to 4 different floor length windows trying to get all angles from where they can see. Mostly they sit beside the window beside the TV cabinet, side by side as if they are watching a movie. Abbey growls like an alligator, and I know he is on his way back up.

They head to the back door, standing stiffly in a stalking position, and await for me to pull the door open once again. It is hilarious to watch them.

I want to do that, but I have one problem. The little one, Abbey, she must always be first, and if she isn't, she will fight the dog in front of her for being ahead. She loses site of the hunt and wants to kick azz. Buster runs faster than she does, and she barks like a rabid dog because he got in front of her; that she spoils the element of surprise.

Often when my husband comes home, they want out the door to greet him in the driveway. Abbey always runs out first, then turns around to keep Buster from getting past her and bites his lips, and he holds his head up and turns his rear end to her. He could hurt her if he wanted to, and on occasion, he has had to straighten her out.

She feels that she should make the dog rules, but she ruins the hunt in doing so at the same time. She is a very sweet loving dog toward us and Buster too as long as he is behaving.
It is all pretty funny, that she feels she is in charge of everything.

This is one reason that Hillary Clinton should not run for president. :lol2: :lol2:

Round 2...Hillary is back.
Abbey caught her last night, and shook her until she played dead. I heard her asking, "Now tell me what difference does it make?" :shock: Then she shook her some more. When Abbey came back in the house, the possum left. I thought for sure she would be too sore to come back, but obviously not. I knew the possum wasn't dead. Probably had a headache though. Now they are back staring out the window again. :lol2: :lol2:
I slid the bowl right in front of the window, and gave them the full window to look out of. They act like they are waiting for
Santa Claus!

Nothing like a good Friday night hunt! :banana:

P1000529.jpg

Latest posts