Possible Replacement Heifer - Tear Her up

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC- good point. currently, i am forced to keep the two heifers in the pond lot mentioned. all of the remaining pasture is currently in use, but the plan is to continue backing off the feed over the next couple of weeks, then turn them out with cows that will have their fall calves weaned off of them at about that same time. then their exercise regiment can officially begin. :lol: the pond lot their in now is not too bad though. feedbunk/mineral location is at top of hill in the corner of the lot. every other inch of space in the lot goes downhill pretty quick. - as a second thought, about the AI genetics, i am again on the fence between GAR Solution and GAR Yield Grade. I think either bull would be a good choice but i am leaning now towards Yield Grade due to his more moderate frame.

ROB

ROB-

I understand your thoughts concerning the moderate frame aspects of the mating. You are consdering EVERY aspect, and sometimes that gets to the point of OVER-thinking, and losing your primary focus. About twenty years ago, one of my Granddaughters was having a terrible time trying to decide which of two boys she wanted to marry. Both boys were more than capable of being acceptable and capable of being a good husband, but she was making herself almost sick attempting to compare the attributes of them to each other! I used my "Grandfather Psychology Genes(!)" - and suggested that she "flip a coin!" Well, you can imagine how that hit the fan! :roll: :roll: "Grampa!", she cried, "That is NOT the way to make a decision of this importance!" (Really!?, I thought). "Okay," I replied, "Try this. Which one do you really LOVE, and think you can live with for the next 50 some years? Do you think that is important enough to help you decide??" Well, it took her about 10 minutes - and they have been married for 22 years, have three terrific kids, have had a few knock-down arguments, and are reasonably happy and successful in their lives.

Same thing goes for your current decision about using GAR Solution or GAR Yield Grade. Flip a coin ?? . . . .N-A-A-A-H-H! :? Both bulls are much better than 94.8741% of current bull choices, so any differences between the two are moot and academic! Of course, I am partial to Solution because of his sire being S S Traveler 6807 T510 - but that is just MY bias - I don't have YOUR cows - and that is where YOUR 'decision-making' criterion should prevail.

I might suggest that your NEXT breeding plans includes the bull that you did not use THIS time! That is having your cake, and eating it too!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts