Possible Angus AI sires

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Please give me your insights on the following 2 bulls. We've been thinking of having them collected..either for AI or herd use, or both. Would appreciate your thoughts and input.
Thanks
Valerie
PS. I realize their acc are not very high.. hard to do unless used in other herds.
I have DNA on both if you need to see it to help me with decision.

in my opinion just looking at the pedegree i would go with the 20 20 bull. i have some cows with 1407 in there breeding and they are a little taller than i like. but to be honest i would rather see both bulls in person. i think as feed cost rise the $en number is going to be more important both in the pasture and in the feedlot. and my guess is those infocus sons and daughtwers will finish faster than the 1407's

I have heard a lot of bad about the udders on 1407's. I have only had one 1407 and she developed ballon teats after 5 years so I am leary of 1407. The one with a double dose of 1407 would really worry me.

We have a couple cows out of 1407 and had no problem with the udders. We raised both. One is 6, the other is 4. I really like them in our herd. I have heard of the problems with udders out of him though.

The In Focus has good carcass numbers his production #s are average if i was gonna collect one by the #s hed be it. I do realize seeing the animal may change anyones mind. If you have several people to sample the bulls all those #s could change for better or worse. The only way id collect them for my own use is if i had more cattle than they can service naturally. You can use them several yrs then if you retain daughters its time for them to move on. If you have some folks that will sample them go for it you never know what the next big thing will be. JMO

Without seeing them that's a really tough choice. Both have a really good set of numbers. I think I'd almost go with the first bull because he'll make a little smaller cow that's cranking out similar numbers... but it's hard to turn away from anything with Fame in it. :D He and about three other bulls got me into AI big time. In Focus helps to keep me there.
I LOVE that both have positive EN values and are still okay on growth.

I havent been too impressed with In Focus. A lot of people praise him, but he just hasnt gave us what we were looking for. Awesome edp's though. I think were gonna shift toward Mandate and Impression for the most part this spring.

We've used alot of Mandate on our ranch.... highly recommend him.

Haven't noticed a bad bag/udder on the 1407s in our herd...

limftw":2qrcr6v5 said:
We've used alot of Mandate on our ranch.... highly recommend him.

Haven't noticed a bad bag/udder on the 1407s in our herd...

What strongpoints does Mandate show in your herd? The progeny ive seen have all looked pretty good. We were looking to add a LITTLE muscle and maybe a tad bit of frame to our replacement heifers. What has been y'alls experience?

We've run him on limflex cows and a few purebred angus heifers we have. All his progeny are super thick and square little calves. Haven't pulled a single calf sired by him yet.

The few bulls we had out of him last year were not framey at all.

And to the OP... I think i would go w/ the 20-20 bull.

limftw":2r56o59n said:
We've run him on limflex cows and a few purebred angus heifers we have. All his progeny are super thick and square little calves. Haven't pulled a single calf sired by him yet.

The few bulls we had out of him last year were not framey at all.

And to the OP... I think i would go w/ the 20-20 bull.

Mind telling me why you like the 20-20 bull better than the Phoenix bull?
Curious.
Valerie

Fall calf crop, out of first-calf heifers, here was mostly Mandate calves. Won't use him again. Calving ease was definitely there, but growth here did not agree with his WW epd.
Steers have grown out ok, but they're big-shouldered, hatchet-@ssed things.
He absolutely did not nick with NBPT D806 daughters - the Mandate-sired heifers are dinky little puds; have one Mandate heifer out of a daughter of the walking bull(Conneally FocusX878) that will make the cut, but every other one will be leaving with the steers.

@ the OP i would go with the 20-20 bull because i feel like he is the better bull on paper.

Lucky_P said:
Fall calf crop, out of first-calf heifers, here was mostly Mandate calves. Won't use him again. Calving ease was definitely there, but growth here did not agree with his WW epd.
Steers have grown out ok, but they're big-shouldered, hatchet-@ssed things.
He absolutely did not nick with NBPT D806 daughters - the Mandate-sired heifers are dinky little puds; have one Mandate heifer out of a daughter of the walking bull(Conneally FocusX878) that will make the cut, but every other one will be leaving with the steers.[/quote

We had two bulls in our sale sired by him this year. Both weaned just over 700lbs and had yearling weights of 1225 and 1320. Haven't seen the hatchet ass thing but that could be the limflex cows helping us out in that respect. We have some purebred angus calves out of him on the ground this year maybe i will try to take some pictures today.

Latest posts