Polled Hereford steer pics... rip him up!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Picture079.jpg

Picture076.jpg

2 yr old, dressed at 770 lbs, hung 14 days.

I'm happy with this guy.

Alan

i like the way he looks on the plate as well.you can see how nicely the steak is marbled.i bet thats some sure nuff good eating.

Alan":3ko2ey1g said:
2 yr old, dressed at 770 lbs, hung 14 days.

I'm happy with this guy.

Alan

Just curious is 14 days the max they would let you hang it? I try to get as close to 21 days as I can.

Jeff

S&S Farms":d1g949b3 said:
Just curious is 14 days the max they would let you hang it? I try to get as close to 21 days as I can.
Jeff

The steaks a very tender, as tender a the "real angus beef" I have bought in the super market. Don't you get a lot of waste with hanging them 21 days?

Alan

Jovid":1ew1md52 said:
2yrs old and only hung at 770 :?: Okay to be precise, 22 months weighed between 1200 and 1300 lbs, quartered at 770lbs.

Too much fat in my opinion. A: It add to the flavor on the bar-b-que. B: it's easily fixed with a knife. :D The hambuger is very lean, I hope it will stay together as a burger.

I would like to find a place to vacuum seal it, but a quarter went to my son, his wife and my 2 granddaughters, another quarter to another son and his wife, and I have two other 20 something sons that will work on the place on weekends in trade for meat.... ahh nothing like 23 single and impressing your freinds with steaks on the bar-b and cold beer. :D

Since I have reg. Polled Herfs, I'll have to eat them. But I would like to see more marbling. I have introduced gentics with higher IMG and REA. I hope that works.

BTW, this steer was nothing I would have ever posted on this site, he was not pretty, but he was grained for 100 days.... and looks and taste great on the end of a fork.

Alan

Jovid":kvp66tkb said:
2yrs old and only hung at 770 :?:

Too much fat in my opinion.

Be carefull not to breed all the backfat away... it has a purpose.

Give me a fat steak any day, it tastes good and besides it serves no purpose being the healthiest man in the graveyard.

Alan":1hc61kje said:
I would like to find a place to vacuum seal it, but a quarter went to my son, his wife and my 2 granddaughters, another quarter to another son and his wife, and I have two other 20 something sons that will work on the place on weekends in trade for meat.... ahh nothing like 23 single and impressing your freinds with steaks on the bar-b and cold beer. :D

Since I have reg. Polled Herfs, I'll have to eat them. But I would like to see more marbling. I have introduced gentics with higher IMG and REA. I hope that works.

BTW, this steer was nothing I would have ever posted on this site, he was not pretty, but he was grained for 100 days.... and looks and taste great on the end of a fork.

Alan

Alan my wife uses one of those Foodsaver vacuum sealers and it works great. Can get the bags at Sams I think.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't quite look like enough to grade Choice. Good looking T-Bone none the less. :tiphat:

KNERSIE":25plqhh6 said:
Jovid":25plqhh6 said:
2yrs old and only hung at 770 :?:

Too much fat in my opinion.

• >>Be carefull not to breed all the backfat away... it has a purpose.<<<

Give me a fat steak any day, it tastes good and besides it serves no purpose being the healthiest man in the graveyard.
your right about that... i imagine in those colder climate's if you bred out alot of back fat you would reduce the marbling too....are you could put more hair coat on em ;-)

Alan I'll trade you freezers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like him. Looks good.
Our butcher uses paper and plastic wrap, but then we butcher every 6 months.

I had a 11 month old Hereford x Jersey steer butchered several weeks ago. I had him put into all hamburger and sausage since we still had other cuts plus a hog in the freezer.

I brought home 465 one pound packages of hamburger & pan sausage :D

He looks a little post legged to me and the angle of rump is a little steep but, all things considered, not a bad looking horse. :banana:

TNMasterBeefProducer":2bjt261k said:
That meat wrapped in paper will freezer burn you better eat it quick. My slaughter house vaccum seals it. The meat we have never gets freezer burned. Also looks like you need some good continental genetics like gelbvieh to put less fat in em and more meat.

I'd prefer to keep my good Hereford flavor intact. If you want higher yield grade, there are a number of purebred Hereford genetics that can get you there, including Lents Anxiety 4th (67% hanging)

Don't forget there is a reason this is just a butcher steer as Alan pointed out.

I too would like to see some more marbling, but I'm confident that he tastes great just as you said.

Some of the best marbling genetics I've butchered have been Hazletts (Day).

My butcher also vacuum packs, and it is a nice option.

I killed pure Black angus, F-1 black baldies and a four way cross...all were fed corn and Ber. grass hay , hang 14 to 25 days, and vac packed. They were all great, age of animal at death 14 to 34 month old, the 34 month black baldie was strong flavored, but he got a little green fescue to eat , not with intent. I like them to weight 1200 to 1500 lbs. at 24 to 30 months old. the last I killed hung at 690 and 800 lbs. 800lbs was alittle over conditioned..I like vac packed , They will keep at least 3 years...Cost 35 $ to kill and 35 cents a lb hanging weight to cut and vac. and for a dime apiece you can get patties..I put half my hambuger in patties in 4 per pack..well worth it ..

Latest posts