POLL Cow/calf on small acreage in Texas and deep south?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is the below a true or false statement for the geographical area involved?

• no

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • yes

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greybeard

Reaction score
A question for those raising cattle (specifically cow/calf) on small acreage anywhere from about I-45 in Texas over to the East Coast. (Ga, Ala, Miss, South Tenn, Louisiana, Florida and Southern Arkansas.)
The following was written in regards to livestock production on "small acreage" which the writers define as 5-100 acres". They approve of backgrounding stocker calves on such property but basically say you can't do a cow/calf operation on the same size property.
This is what they say about cow/calf:
Why not cows? Some might wonder why a typical cow/calf operation would not work on small acreage. There are several reasons.
■ An 1100-pound cow will consume 22 to 33 pounds of forage or 1/2 a square bale of grass hay each day. If a typical stocking rate for native range is 25 acres per animal unit, then 100 acres might support only four animal units, assuming all 100 acres produce grass and are grazable.
■ It is not economically feasible to own a bull for fewer than 10 to 15 cows. Bulls require even more feed than cows and are hard on facilities and fences.
■ A cow/calf enterprise is not flexible. When drought reduces available forage, producers must either buy expensive feed or sell some cows to prevent overgrazing. This is the time when cattle prices are lowest. Then, after rains have come and grass has grown, producers buy more cows when prices are highest. With a sell low/buy high strategy, an operation can not be economically viable. ■ Facilities for managing large animals are expensive and reduce the acreage available for grazing.
■ A cow/calf operation requires considerable animal husbandry skill. A beef cow represents a $400 to $1000 investment. Naturally, the owner is economically and humanely compelled to care for the animals, but illnesses, injuries, birthing complications and preventive health programs often intimidate the inexperienced producer. Veterinary services can be expensive. Animals must be transported to a veterinary clinic in a trailer (another investment) or the producer must find a veterinarian willing to make "house calls."

The complete 7 pg article can be viewed at

Last edited:
That's a mighty big "if" in the first statement. I doubt much, if any, of the country in the area you listed requires that much land for a cow/calf unit (unless it's mostly all thick woods). I know it doesn't in my part. I've been lucky with rain, and I've been ready to move some if needed, but here at home I've had a bull and 10 pairs on 22 acres all summer. They've had two round bales; one because the netting was bad and the other because it was left over from weaning 3 heifers. I'm guessing they based those numbers on country considerably farther west.

I usually figure on 3 acres per cow/calf in average years.

A question for those raising cattle (specifically cow/calf) on small acreage anywhere from about I-45 in Texas over to the East Coast. (Ga, Ala, Miss, South Tenn, Louisiana, Florida and Southern Arkansas.)
The following was written in regards to livestock production on "small acreage" which the writers define as 5-100 acres". They approve of backgrounding stocker calves on such property but basically say you can't do a cow/calf operation on the same size property.
This is what they say about cow/calf:
Why not cows? Some might wonder why a typical cow/calf operation would not work on small acreage. There are several reasons.
■ An 1100-pound cow will consume 22 to 33 pounds of forage or 1/2 a square bale of grass hay each day. If a typical stocking rate for native range is 25 acres per animal unit, then 100 acres might support only four animal units, assuming all 100 acres produce grass and are grazable.
■ It is not economically feasible to own a bull for fewer than 10 to 15 cows. Bulls require even more feed than cows and are hard on facilities and fences.
■ A cow/calf enterprise is not flexible. When drought reduces available forage, producers must either buy expensive feed or sell some cows to prevent overgrazing. This is the time when cattle prices are lowest. Then, after rains have come and grass has grown, producers buy more cows when prices are highest. With a sell low/buy high strategy, an operation can not be economically viable. ■ Facilities for managing large animals are expensive and reduce the acreage available for grazing.
■ A cow/calf operation requires considerable animal husbandry skill. A beef cow represents a $400 to $1000 investment. Naturally, the owner is economically and humanely compelled to care for the animals, but illnesses, injuries, birthing complications and preventive health programs often intimidate the inexperienced producer. Veterinary services can be expensive. Animals must be transported to a veterinary clinic in a trailer (another investment) or the producer must find a veterinarian willing to make "house calls."

I think this is more false than true. I knew the football coach was suspect, but now am concerned about the professors as well. My apologies to any professors I might have offended. Might need to get a farmer to review those publications prior to publishing them. ;)

I am going to vote not true/no.

I didn't read the article....but I run cattle on a 125 acre place, a 57 acre place, a 53 acre place and an 80 acre place... Guess I've been to stupid to know I can't do cow/calf on 3 of the places. 😁 But then again, I'm west of 45. No pine tree grazing here...

used to run 120 mama's on it. Now running 50 to 80. Whole lot easier than 120.

Last edited:

Wouldn't AI work good with a herd of 10 cows or less? I'm thinking about selling my cows on a sandy place that I own that is nothing but bahiagrass and an hour away and just keeping the 5 cows behind my house and AIing them.

Wouldn't AI work good with a herd of 10 cows or less? I'm thinking about selling my cows on a sandy place that I own that is nothing but bahiagrass and an hour away and just keeping the 5 cows behind my house and AIing them.

What's wrong with bahia grass?

I call BS.

Here in north MS we tend to push closer toward 2 acres per cow calf pair if the pasture is even moderately cared for. Invest your money in low maintenance/moderate framed cows and let them do their thing. We are building a heard on our home place and are currently running 15 pair on 100 acres.... Mowed once in the spring, got one cutting of hay and currently stockpiling for winter. We are looking to buy around 10 more cows this winter. We are fortunate to have a fairly long growing season around here. My goal is to run around 40 head on our 100 acres once I get everything back in shape.

1982vette: I assumed that they were speaking of open pasture grazing and not 'woods cows'.

The only reason I used the geographic area I did was to differentiate between the natural climate conditions that exist in East Texas & Eastward and the normally dry arid areas farther West.
Annual rainfall averages plays a huge part in forage production and carrying capacity.

East Texas according to TSHA online averages 44" but also states in general, that there is an annual decrease of about an inch for each fifteen-mile displacement from East to west but the same does not hold true moving from East Texas to points farther East.
Gulf of Mexico being the big weather player.

Central, West and Southwest Texas tend to get a LOT less rainfall on average than E. Texas and the Southeast USA gets.
Mississippi for instance gets an average of 50" rain in North Miss and 60" in the area of coastal Miss.
Georgia lists their statewide average as being 48".

To me, the article in whole appeared very biased toward sheep/goat production, with a little 'bone thrown in' for beef stocker calves and all but said cow/calf on smaller acreage (less than 100 ac) was a big no no.
That has not been my own experience.

Last edited:
I didnt read the whole article but the parts you quoted all seem to be accurate.

My rule of thumb is 30-50 hd. If it cant do that it's really hard turn turn any profit, especially on lease land. Smaller places do work for heifer properties and what not to assist in a larger operation.

I do believe with AI and some niche market like direct selling beef and what not there is some room for adjustment.

Trying to start an operation running cows in a traditional sense, with a bull, hauling to the auction barn, ect is near impossible in my experience on small acreage.

I have this conversation with beginning cattlemen all the time. Mostly "don't get in the cow-calf business" if you're on small acreage. Stocker calves and freezer beef would be a better choice.

I have this conversation with beginning cattlemen all the time. Mostly "don't get in the cow-calf business" if you're on small acreage. Stocker calves and freezer beef would be a better choice.
I have tried to help so many people who have bought small places around here do that exact same thing. I offer to sell them heifers or bulls at weaning at basically auction barn prices. I'll offer to wean, vac, and settle the calves down so they are ready to go. We talk about benefits of freezer beef vs heifers vs just selling off weight. Basically a ranchet starter kit and only one person took me up on it. Guy was a pleasure to deal with and was happy with the deal but his job moved him and we didn't get to do it again.

Most people act like your insulting them with the truth.

Rafter S there's a big difference is grass strength where you are in Grimes Co and far east Texas. I hauled mine to Harrison County about 10 years back. They were starving to death in belly deep grass.

After the poll closes, I will divulge more about the article.

Took the picture yesterday. Basically on 40 acres 99% cleared acreage native grass, bahia and some coastal.
I do have access to 65 more acres that are mostly woods, but even when I open the gates they rarely go or stay in those areas from late March thru Oct.

Taken with my old flip phone and couldn't get them all in the pic frame.
17 mommas, one 9 mo heifer, one bull calf and one bull.

Attachments

• cowswater.jpg
    cowswater.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9
Rafter S there's a big difference is grass strength where you are in Grimes Co and far east Texas. I hauled mine to Harrison County about 10 years back. They were starving to death in belly deep grass.
Crab grass is one of the few high protein grasses that grow here. Mine are rolling fat on grass and minerals alone. You have to help Bahia either with more fertilizer or supplement the cow.

Attachments

• 089CD7F0-58EF-401D-9796-A189AFD94943.jpeg
    089CD7F0-58EF-401D-9796-A189AFD94943.jpeg
    999.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 31A5661E-D617-4084-9AC3-BE60D7ECDFAE.jpeg
    31A5661E-D617-4084-9AC3-BE60D7ECDFAE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Crab grass is one of the few high protein grasses that grow here. Mine are rolling fat on grass and minerals alone. You have to help Bahia either with more fertilizer or supplement the cow.

Mine stay in good shape on bahia, mineral, and salt. Maybe because I'm a little farther west, and not on deep loose sand?

There are many different soil types in East Texas and even within each county. Most are loams. Loam is just a term denoting the soil has 3 or more components and the different loams are categorized depending which % of each of sand, silt, or clay makes up the soil. I have a high degree of silt and clay compared to sand. It's officially called the Hatliff-Pluck-Kian (HatA) complex. The Hatliff itself is a well drained deep sandy loam but the HatA complex is poorly drained, low degree slope, high % silt and clay frequently flooded and deemed 'not prime farmland" by NCRS because of the Pluck component.
2 Miles West or North of me, the soil type changes drastically, even tho the location is equally as close to the river as I am.

Latest posts