Pocket Knife

Help Support CattleToday:

Gerber E-Z Out, have carried it a long time. Only cost around $30 but it's a good knife. Serated edge is something I like especially in the winter when I'm cutting down the side of a twine tied bale of hay. They don't make them anymore and I've been keeping my eye out on e-bay for a spare.

Don't ever leave the house without my pocket knife on me and a pair of pliers close by. Never a day goes by I won't be needing at least one of them.

J

Caustic Burno":25hmuhu4 said:
Interesting thread a pocket knife is just a tool, but a tool used everyday on the farm. Pretty easy to judge someone by there tools and the way they upkeep things.

I'd say another good mark of character that I hadn't thought of is how well someone keeps the grass tended OUTSIDE the fences and at the entry way. Nothing like a first impression - I believe my dad spends more time mowing and weedeating around the farm than anyone in the state. He will not spray, says he likes green grass better than brown.

Bullbuyer":2di7zr7h said:
Caustic Burno":2di7zr7h said:
Interesting thread a pocket knife is just a tool, but a tool used everyday on the farm. Pretty easy to judge someone by there tools and the way they upkeep things.

I'd say another good mark of character that I hadn't thought of is how well someone keeps the grass tended OUTSIDE the fences and at the entry way. Nothing like a first impression - I believe my dad spends more time mowing and weedeating around the farm than anyone in the state. He will not spray, says he likes green grass better than brown.

Watch it, if he's using the mower and weed eater around the ranch he could be labeled as one of those hobby guys. ;-) I agree with your dad though, make it look like a show place when they first pull up.

I bought two case XX (1948-1963?? I think) several years ago. I just put them away thinking I would't use them. Time went on and I started using one. I carried it for a few years and lost it last year. I carried the other one till this spring , lost it too. I thought I'd buy me another one I liked them so well. I checked around a little and found them for $400.oo. I'll carry a piece of junk old timer till I get my breath back.

J":1wbha910 said:
Bullbuyer":1wbha910 said:
Caustic Burno":1wbha910 said:

Watch it, if he's using the mower and weed eater around the ranch he could be labeled as one of those hobby guys. ;-) I agree with your dad though, make it look like a show place when they first pull up.

Keeping that entry and roadside grass down has nothing to do with appearances. I am simply worried about cigarette butts and fire.

during cow feeding season i carry a kershaw or winchester. otherwise i just use whatever is in the floorboard of the tractor. the less stuff in my pockets the better (except money). i usually keep my cellphone in the truck so if i just have to know what time it is i will either check the truck clock or cellphone.

I sometimes carry a utility knife around mainly for cutting strings. Have a couple of $20 pocket knives with scissors, scew driver, tweezers, fishing knife, serrated knife, two can openers, and a few other handies on them in the glove compartments of the truck and car for emergency uses. There's an old knife with a good 10" blade in the trunk of the car my grandma got from Mexico (I don;t know what kind, doesn't really matter) that's also available for emergency uses. I often carry that on my belt if I;m going into the woods, just to be safe.

Caustic Burno":2gwbivrb said:
I always judged the character of a man by the pocket knife he carried.
Wondered what you carry in your pocket?

Try to carry a sharp one. (Usually a buck.. :) )

Best knife I ever had was a Case Bosn's Mate. After carrying it for 10 or so years I left it laying on a video poker machine in a truck stop in Stony Creek, Virginia back in '88 or so. Didn't think about it 'till I was down in Carolina. Too late. Never been able to find another. I always carry a knife. Usually a case or old timer. Nothing with a stainless steel blade.

I carry a cheap $10 Barlow that I bought at the hardware store and a utility knife. Has absolutely nothing to do with my character, though.

Put my Old Timer 3 blade stockman away, and replaced it with a "Marbles" sowbelly staghorn. So far not overly excited about the Marbles and think about a Moore Maker, Case, Eye, or Hen and Rooster to compliment the hip pocket.

VanC":3i1ko1q7 said:
I carry a cheap $10 Barlow that I bought at the hardware store and a utility knife. Has absolutely nothing to do with my character, though.

If you were the poor lad at the calf table doing cods and/or swallow forks, a quality blade is your best friend.

Caustic Burno":3nkr4o28 said:
aplusmnt":3nkr4o28 said:
Not sure what brand, says made in china, single lock blade has a picture of a Deer on the handle. Got it at the local convenient store. What does this say about my character?

:shock: I would just as soon have a a horse turd in my front pocket.

Ok I was just joking, I hate to see my kids even buy those knives. I clean around 20 convenient stores and every were you look is those cheap $4.00 knives.

I have a no butt problem and hate carrying lots of stuff in my pocket makes my pants fall down. So a few years ago I found a Beretta elite knife that is as light as a feather in your pocket.

But around the farm, I keep a Boker Switchblade Military knife in the Truck and also carry it when riding Mules. I like the fact you can open with one hand, comes in handy at times.

Have ya'll ever heard of when you hand someone a pocket knife,if it is open when you recieve it you hand it back to them open?Same thing if they hand it to you closed. It's supposed to be bad luck if you don't do this.

Yes,if I let somebody use my knife they close it not me.
But I hardly ever let anybody touch my knife.

ga. prime":2ojsy5wf said:
Best knife I ever had was a Case Bosn's Mate. After carrying it for 10 or so years I left it laying on a video poker machine in a truck stop in Stony Creek, Virginia back in '88 or so. Didn't think about it 'till I was down in Carolina. Too late.

And I thought the knife was a prize! :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock:

I use a Colt Python....opens one handed and can be a lifesaver if caught in a rope....clips to the pocket side....USN tugboat crews use a gerber one hand with a hole in the blade....used to have one but traded for the python. also use a buck multi-tool for fixing fences....other pocket.

I carry a three bladed Old Timer. The largest size. It is a carbon steel blade so it is easy to sharpen.

Latest posts