planting multispecies cover crops

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
some photos from planting multi species cover crop test plots on 9/17/2012

the drill plot is a demonstration test plot right at our office.

the flying photo are at one of the local producers and they are flying on the cover crop over soy beans.

494cd3dc.jpg

f8199ab6.jpg

5c913670.jpg

244c01d5.jpg

Looks like a good mix but I would have asked them to put more turnip greens in it....(for the dinner table). ;-)

TexasBred":ncpcxrt1 said:
Looks like a good mix but I would have asked them to put more turnip greens in it....(for the dinner table). ;-)

don't want em eating my cover crops.....

we have one guy who planted tillage radishes last year near a community garden that he works up every year for his neighbors....
they discovered his tillage radishes and nearly ate the greens all up....

I had the turnips taken out completely because the feral hogs loved 'em. No kidding. I haven't had hog problems for a couple of years now but it could start again at any moment, just like last time.

HOGS HAVE NOT HIT OUR AREA YET....THEY ARE ABOUT FIFTY MILES AWAY IN TWO DIRECTIONS....SO I GUESS WE WILL SEE THEM EVENTUALLY.

Get in the middle of those hogs quick if it happens. Your best hay fields will look like they were carpet bombed. 20 foot wide craters up to 4 feet deep. Even the ones that are only two feet deep look deeper because of the mounds around the perimeter. Then there are some fields the hogs never appeared to be in. Wierd how it goes. During the peak I trapped 43 hogs/shoats/pigs in a single week.

I have about 45 acres planted now. Wheat, oats, yellow clover and hairy vetch all blended. Would like to have added some Russain Peas and other things in the mix but just didn't take the time. Those fields of yours look nice.

not my fields boggie....
one of my area farmer clients....farms about 10,000 acres.
I wanted to use some wooly pod vetch but some of the seed grain producers balked at that....vetch is a weed to them so we left it out of the mix.

i spead my cover crops with a shoulder carried whirlagig spreader....
I am planting lots after grazing them.....planting something different in every lot just to see what happens.

I have a client using vetch in their cover crop. It does work well. But never, never let it go to seed or you have vetch forever.

I put a mix of tritacale,oat, two or three peas, and vetch under my walnuts this last winter. That soil is completely different this year. I had major compaction issues going on and that solved it. In fact it worked so well I had a hard time getting water across the whole thing. The trees look a little healthier as well but I won't be able to tell if it helped production until next year as the trees decided what this years crop would be before I planted the cover crop.
An interesting side note: I incorporated the crop into the soil at about fifty percent bloom on the vetch and the peas had already bloomed. I had green lacewings and lady beetles BOILING out of there. I have a block of citrus and a block of pecans across the road from those walnuts and neither of them had to be sprayed for any thrip, aphid, scale, nothing. I also never sprayed for walnut husk fly and I'm one of very few growers who din't have a problem with them this year. Now I'm toying with adding flowering crops into my IPM program at specefic times just to boost my beneficial insect populations.

Dave":ey3pfrxm said:
I have a client using vetch in their cover crop. It does work well. But never, never let it go to seed or you have vetch forever.

The vetch on the little field on the upper flood plain lasted 6 years. Less and less each year. I think the cows finally wiped it out. That was good forage. I wish it would have lasted longer. Planted it this year in the fields that do not get weed sprayed in the spring. I am hoping it lasts forever. :)

backhoeboogie":linujhpd said:
Dave":linujhpd said:

The vetch on the little field on the upper flood plain lasted 6 years. Less and less each year. I think the cows finally wiped it out. That was good forage. I wish it would have lasted longer. Planted it this year in the fields that do not get weed sprayed in the spring. I am hoping it lasts forever. :)

If you want it to last forever it will be gone in no time. If you were row cropping and want it gone it will stay forever.

pdfangus":2zy8bvgs said:
vetch is an annual so it must reseed to reappear in subsequent years.

Yep, it is an annual. But just like a lot of other annuals if you let it go to seed...... it just reseeded itself. In a pasture situation it often gets grazed off before going to seed. That is why it dies out. As a cover crop in row crops it can be the gift that keeps on giving. Especially in my clients case because he raises organic row crops.

Latest posts