GM Crops killing bees?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bluestem

Reaction score
A leading zoologist has found evidence that genes used to modify crops can jump the species barrier and cause bacteria to mutate, prompting fears that GM technology could pose serious health risks.

A four-year study by Professor Hans-Hinrich Kaatz, a respected German zoologist, found that the alien gene used to modify oilseed rape had transferred to bacteria living inside the guts of honey bees.

The research - which has yet to be published and has not been reviewed by fellow scientists - is highly significant because it suggests that all types of bacteria could become contaminated by genes used in genetically modified technology, including those that live inside the human digestive system.

If this happened, it could have an impact on the bacteria's vital role in helping the human body fight disease, aid digestion and facilitate blood clotting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2000/may/28/gm.food

This is old news. But I had not seen it before. Wonder what has happened since.

i seen a show on RFDTV that was talking about beekeepers finding their hives abandoned.only finding a few worker bees an drones left.an they had no idea what happened to the bees.

That is pretty scary. I was going to start beekeeping several years ago and bees were in short supply from where I wanted to order. They said it was some sort of virus at the time. But I know that there is a shortage of bees.

Latest posts