2 Boys Killed 500,000 Bees...............

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt":2wiqt7rg said:
sim.-ang.king":2wiqt7rg said:
Bullitt":2wiqt7rg said:
European honey bees need the hive to survive. If those boxes are broken open the bees cannot stay warm enough to live in the cold temperatures.

https://brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.c ... he-winter/

"The bees need to keep the cluster's core between 93 and 96 Fahrenheit (around 35 Celsius). The very lowest the cluster's center can drop to is 55F (13C). Lower than this and you have a dead hive. Different sources offer different exact temperatures, but they are all in the same ballpark. The numbers here are drawn from internet searches, and from "The Biology of The Honey Bee", by Mark L. Winston (a fabulous book and fun to read)."

The joke flew right over your head like a bumble bee in a hurricane. :lol: ;-)

Okay. I think everyone missed the "joke". There was no indication in what you wrote that you were joking.

You gotta be joking.

This reflects pretty poorly on the parents. I don't think it's a new phenomenon, there's always been crappy people that have crappy kids. I just hope this doesn't ruin the guy who owned those hives. Many a person have lost a business through one foul swoop of bad luck....

cowgirl8":2gbs7jgj said:
I thought I lost a hive, looked in it this morning and saw no bees. When it warmed up I went out in my suit and saw a bunch of bees at the entrance. So, thinking earlier I let them starve even though I took none of their honey last year and left them plenty, I grabbed a jar of honey I had stored and gave it to them. When I went out again, there were more bees flying around and when I opened it, there were bees working and I saw stored honey. Whew. I was going to be upset if I lost this hive. It was a swarm I caught late 2016 and it thrived. I did nothing to them last year other than add another brood box. They filled a lot of it with honey. Very relieved they are still thriving. My husband used almost all my stored honey to make a big batch of mead. I'm going to need all 3 hives I have if he keeps making mead. Checked other 2 hives and I didn't even need to open them, tons of bees flying around...

My hives are doing great too. R30 foam board wrapped for another month. Looked at them this past Saturday.

But what does this have to do with 500,000 dead (murdered) bees in a completely different state ?

backhoeboogie":3m3tppd2 said:
cowgirl8":3m3tppd2 said:
I thought I lost a hive, looked in it this morning and saw no bees. When it warmed up I went out in my suit and saw a bunch of bees at the entrance. So, thinking earlier I let them starve even though I took none of their honey last year and left them plenty, I grabbed a jar of honey I had stored and gave it to them. When I went out again, there were more bees flying around and when I opened it, there were bees working and I saw stored honey. Whew. I was going to be upset if I lost this hive. It was a swarm I caught late 2016 and it thrived. I did nothing to them last year other than add another brood box. They filled a lot of it with honey. Very relieved they are still thriving. My husband used almost all my stored honey to make a big batch of mead. I'm going to need all 3 hives I have if he keeps making mead. Checked other 2 hives and I didn't even need to open them, tons of bees flying around...

My hives are doing great too. R30 foam board wrapped for another month. Looked at them this past Saturday.

But what does this have to do with 500,000 dead (murdered) bees in a completely different state ?
Sort of what I was thinking, especially the R30 foam BS.

TexasBred":msf71a89 said:
backhoeboogie":msf71a89 said:
cowgirl8":msf71a89 said:

R30 is only 5" of Polyisocyanurate and a very good insulator .

M-5":309jgfux said:
TexasBred":309jgfux said:
backhoeboogie":309jgfux said:

I was just questioning what it had to do with 500,000 murdered bees in a completely different state. ;-)

TexasBred":2ttwub0l said:
M-5":2ttwub0l said:
TexasBred":2ttwub0l said:

I was just questioning what it had to do with 500,000 murdered bees in a completely different state. ;-)

thread drift happens and sometimes Its inevitable, Sometimes its intentional

Bestoutwest":2493l52l said:
This reflects pretty poorly on the parents. I don't think it's a new phenomenon, there's always been crappy people that have crappy kids. I just hope this doesn't ruin the guy who owned those hives. Many a person have lost a business through one foul swoop of bad luck....

You're right. One tornado or one wild fire would have likely done the same. But senseless destruction needs to be answered for.

Those bees likely pollinated a whole lot of gardens and orchards. There will be a lot more affected besides the owner.

Those boys don't need to just be charged. They should help fix what they broke. Put in a lot of hard work and maybe they'll understand the significance of what they did.
A 12 year old does not understand money as much as they would actual work.

OwnedByTheCow":3fq63do3 said:
Those boys don't need to just be charged. They should help fix what they broke. Put in a lot of hard work and maybe they'll understand the significance of what they did.
A 12 year old does not understand money as much as they would actual work.
If they made them do real work they would probably be charged with child abuse

backhoeboogie":36q77t4z said:
cowgirl8":36q77t4z said:

Thread was already off track....been done to many threads. I had just checked my bees, just thinking outloud.
I've been told not to add insulation because it gives the bees the false sense of it being warm out. They need to leave the hive to poop, so many will do this if their hive is insulated, thus, freezing to death. Just what i've been told and what i've read....although, i've been tempted to put something around them. But, we got down to 9 several times and they did fine..

Latest posts