trees for cover

Help Support CattleToday:

Sycamore. Fairly fast growing, long-lived and very tolerant of traffic. Really, any of the swamp species are tolerant of traffic. The problem with traffic is soil compaction and low air infiltration of the soil. Swamp species are adapted to low soil oxygen.

dyates":2fv5edx2 said:
Sycamore. Fairly fast growing, long-lived and very tolerant of traffic. Really, any of the swamp species are tolerant of traffic. The problem with traffic is soil compaction and low air infiltration of the soil. Swamp species are adapted to low soil oxygen.

Good post. BTW - I think it is argued that sycamore is the fastest growing native species in the east.

Here is a pic I took this weekend of some live oaks. They seem to be resistant to hooves and fire too.

IMG_2883.jpg

I can ship you some Chinese Tallow tree seeds, they were imported by the cattlemen on the Gulf Coast for cover.
Your neighbors will be talking about you for years.

Poplar trees (aka Alamo, Cotton Wood and a host of other names) grow fast but get blown over constantly. They are the worst fence wreckers around here - especially on the river bottoms. I cut a half dozen off of the river fence every year. They are on the Brazos River Authority property and there's not much I can do about it. I certainly would never plant one.

Caustic Burno":3q3otsba said:
I can ship you some Chinese Tallow tree seeds, they were imported by the cattlemen on the Gulf Coast for cover.

No thanks! I hate that tree almost as much as I hate the chinaberry.

Caustic Burno":2svhw7hd said:

Still mean as ever I see. :lol:

Caustic Burno":2rpg25qh said:

CB, mix in a few fruitless mulberry trees and they'll really be talking about you.

I'll send CB a kudzu basket full of cogon grasss seed and chinaberry berries and topped with vassey grass heads. :nod:

Already fighting cogan grass and chinaberry along with horse apple I don't need any more help.
Everyone needs a few Chinese Tallow trees to appreciate grazon, 2-4 D Remedy and diesel.

Caustic Burno":1iacmp06 said:
Already fighting cogan grass and chinaberry along with horse apple I don't need any more help.
Everyone needs a few Chinese Tallow trees to appreciate grazon, 2-4 D Remedy and diesel.

Caustic, I've been playing guitars and doing woodworking since I was 18. I've built quite a few guitars over the years. Horse apple, or Osage Orange, is one of the most sought after wood for guitar making (luthiery). I've crossed the lands around here scouring for osage trees and paid for decent size ones. The lumber is worth upwards of $10 a board foot ( a board foot is one inch thick, by 12" wide by 12" log). To put that in perspective, oak is worth $2 to $4 a board foot. I love me some yellow wood!

Made a rifle stock out of bodark,one of the best looking ones i've made.I also made one of mesquite,ash,apple,and hickory.
Whats real neat drill 1/8in holes in the trunk in early spring, and shoot different colered ink into them(printer ink works good) then cut them that late fall or winter.
You'll have some pretty colored wood to work with.

Cal

Perhaps willow? I believe willow to be fast growing if you have a decent amount of water. You might want to plant a nice stand of oaks or maples for the long run. The silver maples in our yard grow pretty fast and provide good shade.

Also, I have a personal thing against using non-native trees because of all the problems they can bring.(such as the chestnut blight)

I've been using cupressis leylandii they grow quick and don't seem to up and die like some cypress types. I have been using melaleucas and callistemons. They are great Australian natives that attract birds and a good trim thickens them up. They don't grow very large and aren't dangerous like some of our gum trees (eucalypts) that shed limbs.
I use eucalypts more as shade trees than wind breaks.
Colin

Latest posts