Gardens ready for planting

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":141a5zfv said:
I doubled the size of last year's garden. It's decent soil but mainly it's just damp still.

oh ok is it really sandy loamy soil? Did you just till it or break it up first?

Hook":2tasqo50 said:
Pto tiller

Yea I love my pto tiller first one I had was chain and it snapped all the time till I bought a geared one. I use mine for yards I put sod down and use it before laying the sod and tilling in fertilizer and compost mix.

Getting ahead of the game is always good.

There's a new aisle of boysenberries going in at the house this year. There's a 150 foot stretch turned and ready. Going to add some sand and humus to it. Already welded up the trellis supports. Thinking I finally got ahead of the game on this one. Propagated 55 berry plants last summer and they took off. If half make it I'll be in great shape.

Dave":w5whdz8h said:
In about 5 months I will start thinking about the garden.

Same here Dave. We are not safe from freeze I till after May 20, but can get frosts on into June. I usually plant taters the first part of May and everything else on Memorial Day.

That is some fluffy dirt. We got 2" of rain last night and I was thinking it would have packed it down. Nope. Sank up to my ankles. So I get the tractor bucket and start back pulling it back both directions. Guess what i found out....it's not sandy loam. I got full on mud!
I guess the pto tiller brought up more nutrients than I thought. This years garden just may be something worth bragging about.

I guess I'll find out gb. It was a productive day. Got the garden partially planted all rows are 100ft
1 row lettuce
1 row mescaline lettuce
1 row broccoli
2 rows radishes
1 row potatoes
Some onion sets
11 tomato starters transplanted to larger pots
6 hot pepper plant starters transplanted