Finished planting

Help Support CattleToday:

I finished the next to last field. Just an 80ac patch to go, but it may be a while with next weeks forecast.
It has been a good week, better than the week when trying to plant corn.
Also been planting enlist a couple years now. It's nice having 24d, RUP, and liberty all as options.

20200612_151618.jpg

I finished the next to last field. Just an 80ac patch to go, but it may be a while with next weeks forecast.
It has been a good week, better than the week when trying to plant corn.
Also been planting enlist a couple years now. It's nice having 24d, RUP, and liberty all as options.

View attachment 17561

Is that a cover crop you're planting into?

Nah, it's just that wild rye/barley grass stuff that grows everywhere, and is a pain to till.
It's even worse to try to work up. We used to have it thicker than hair on a dogs back but it's not as bad as 15-20 years ago. I don't know if our switch to no till is part of that or not.

We worked up just shy of 100 acres this spring, which is 100 too much IMO, but it's smooth and we won't have to again unless we rut it up in the fall. The longer we no till the more I like it. More covers is the next step, but getting that done along with everything else is a challenge, especially in a wet fall.

Finished planting ours yesterday. Had corn last year and planted C. Rye, Ryegrass, and Crimson Clover on it after the corn. Cut it for hay and now planted the soybeans in the ryegrass. Hate having to spray the ryegrass it looked so pretty.

Finished planting ours yesterday. Had corn last year and planted C. Rye, Ryegrass, and Crimson Clover on it after the corn. Cut it for hay and now planted the soybeans in the ryegrass. Hate having to spray the ryegrass it looked so pretty.
What date did you get your cover/hay crop planted last year? I tried some frosty clover the first of October with mixed results. Needed on earlier bu beans wouldn't come off when I planned.

View attachment 17558View attachment 17559
My view from the cab and my dad in his tractor and bean planter. We got ours wrapped up Wednesday and finished our neighbor and old friends today. Thankful for a stretch of good weather and no breakdowns this week. Now we just sit back and watch the big money roll in this fall lol.
What number JD? I absolutely love those Sound-Guard tractors

What number JD? I absolutely love those Sound-Guard tractors
I was driving the neighbors 4630 with a 15" 15 row 7000 series Deere planter. Dads is a 4640. Same size and spacing as the neighbors but ours has great pains boxes over case ih 900 series units.

What date did you get your cover/hay crop planted last year? I tried some frosty clover the first of October with mixed results. Needed on earlier bu beans wouldn't come off when I planned.
Don't remember the date but it was getting late. Some places the clover did well other places not there. Like you said needed to get earlier maturity grain.

I was driving the neighbors 4630 with a 15" 15 row 7000 series Deere planter. Dads is a 4640. Same size and spacing as the neighbors but ours has great pains boxes over case ih 900 series units.
Sweet! I bought a 4640 last August. I am drilling beans with it this year. JD 750 drill.

Sweet! I bought a 4640 last August. I am drilling beans with it this year. JD 750 drill.
I'm with you on those series tractors. We always ran and I'll bleed red until I die but it's no wonder Deere jumped to the front with the 4000 series tractors,especially on the 30's and 40's. Good cabs, hydraulics, controls and transmissions really put them ahead. Drive a 1486 and then a 4640 and it's pretty obvious.

I'm with you on those series tractors. We always ran and I'll bleed red until I die but it's no wonder Deere jumped to the front with the 4000 series tractors,especially on the 30's and 40's. Good cabs, hydraulics, controls and transmissions really put them ahead. Drive a 1486 and then a 4640 and it's pretty obvious.
I deliberately bought a 40 series because it's the last ones with out electronic bs.
I've ran a 1085 and a 1066 working for neighbors over the years. Liked the 66 better.
My boss had a 4440 that we finally traded in with over 12k hrs on it. We loved that tractor it did everything!

IH screwed themselves on the 86's. Rode rougher shifted harder more finicky controls than the 66's. Cab wasn't bad but the door opened the wrong way.

If they'd have went right to the 88 series improvements they might not have had to sell out. Basically the same transmission as the Deere quad range which I like as well or better than power shift. Unfortunately it was too late by then.

You can't go wrong with the 30 or 40 series Deere in my opinion.