PITA weaned heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Of our weaned heifers that are at the 3 week point of weaning, there is one heifer that still refuses to eat hte grain weaning ration. I have to drive her to the feeder when I put out the grain. She now lowers her head to just above the grain and just stands there no eating. Looks liek she is strating rto fall behind in growth compared to the others. When I call them up, she comes running with all the others. They all go to the trough except her and start eating. I ahve to get behind her and then she'll go to the trough. Driving me nuts. Couldn;t even sell her as a bunk broke calf with a clear conscience if I had a mind to.

If you let that sort of PITA drive you nuts, you'll be nuts your whole life long.
Years ago one of the farms I was on had a few calves weaning themselves off milk at about four weeks old. Can't remember what we did with them, I guess they ate grass.

Black and Good":2ys7n3fo said:
dun, Have you tried mixing some sweet feed or Kandy treat with that feed? Might jump start her taste buds? B&G
Nope, haven;t tried it. Too cheap to spend money on sweet feed. This is the exact ration that we've fed the weaned calves for 15 years. Since we get a storage bin full (3 tons) at a tie once a year it doesn;t have rodent butts (mole asses) because it bridges in the upright bin. I just keep hoping she'll eventually give in and start eating it. But till then it's frustrating

dun":cjhoeq02 said:
Black and Good":cjhoeq02 said:
dun, Have you tried mixing some sweet feed or Kandy treat with that feed? Might jump start her taste buds? B&G
Nope, haven;t tried it. Too cheap to spend money on sweet feed. This is the exact ration that we've fed the weaned calves for 15 years. Since we get a storage bin full (3 tons) at a tie once a year it doesn;t have rodent butts (mole asses) because it bridges in the upright bin. I just keep hoping she'll eventually give in and start eating it. But till then it's frustrating

I hear ya! I hate when a weaner won't eat. :bang: Good luck. B&G

Mole asses huh? Funny, never heard it that way.... :lol:

You going to the Genex lunch on Friday Dun? Be good to see you there....

Fire Sweep Ranch":1bfiorhx said:
Mole asses huh? Funny, never heard it that way.... :lol:

You going to the Genex lunch on Friday Dun? Be good to see you there....
I doubt it. The only reason I went last year was to give you that semen that I donated. They always seem to have them when the weather is at it's crappiest

I should have posted this sooner. This morning, I had to push her to go to the trough but once there she shoved her way right in and started eating with gusto. PITA

One of my cows never likes trying new foods,.. I'd stuff pieces of carrots in her mouth and make her eat them, and she's get a couple pieces down and spit out the rest,.. she got smart about it and would tuck the pieces under her tongue until I left, then spit them out... finally she started liking them, and the whole process over again with apples.
Then there are others that will dig right in to any new foods. I guess they're a lot like people!

dun":36tcra85 said:
I should have posted this sooner. This morning, I had to push her to go to the trough but once there she shoved her way right in and started eating with gusto. PITA

Yep! She just needed an excuse to eat her feed without being obvious about it. :p :lol2:

dun":h5va89lo said:
Then I call them up, she comes running with all the others. They all go to the trough except her and start eating. I have to get behind her and then she'll go to the trough. Driving me nuts.

I was taught to drive the conflicted ones away from the feed trough.

Stocker Steve":uui2qgv9 said:
dun":uui2qgv9 said:
Then I call them up, she comes running with all the others. They all go to the trough except her and start eating. I have to get behind her and then she'll go to the trough. Driving me nuts.

I was taught to drive the conflicted ones away from the feed trough.
What would be the reason.
This morning she was the first one up and eating, didn;t have to do a thing to get her up. Maybe the light finally came on.

dun":ojtf49dj said:
This morning she was the first one up and eating, didn;t have to do a thing to get her up. Maybe the light finally came on.

She's what I call a dim-bulb.

Glad to hear she finally figured it out.

Latest posts