Pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting one or two pigs to raise and slaughter. I'd probably get a pig that weighed around 30-40 lb to start...

how long til butchering weight?

What is the ideal butchering weight (approx)?

At that weight, approx how many lbs of meat?

I raised pigs in 4-h, they had their teeth cut out. Is this standard?

What do you reccommend feeding...how much?

What is an average price/lb. if you were to sell a whole butchered pig to someone?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!

Crowder knows all the in's and out's on these type animals.

He'll be here shortly to answer your questions.

How long to butchering weight = varies... slaughter at 125# or 200#

Ideal butchering weight = personal opinion, ours is 150-200#, takes about 5-6 months

Meat = approx 60% of live weight

Teeth nipped (to prevent biting of other piglets) is standard

We feed the Purina products (starter, grower, then finisher) and we do it self-fed -- we always raise 2 together, they seem to eat better that way with a little competition.

We usually sell 1 of the pigs at cost if it's to a neighbor (whether it be on the hook or cut and wrapped).

Thoughts to consider:
- buy gilts (females) unless you want to learn how to cut a young boar
- containment --> the little stinkers are pretty fisty and eat wood, pipe rail containment is best,
- digging -- they love to root around so either ring the noses or put 'em on a hard surface so they can't escape
- deworming do it early so you don't have to wait for withdrawal time for slaughter
- Have fun, they love the kitchen veggie scraps (and leftovers from the veggie garden)

We just hauled 6 head to the Slaughter house Saturday afternoon. We finished them at about 275 lbs.They should yield between 50-60% of their weight in meat. Not heavy enough for any Bacon, but will make good small Hams, Ribs, and small chops,etc.

Started to feed Shelled Corn, soaked in 5 gal. of water, to go easy on their teeth, as these Pigs were already about 75 lbs. when we got them. Then put them on a 15% Pork finisher, for the last couple months. They gained wt. fast.

Wish you were closer,I'd sure love to sell you a bunch of 35lb. Pigs.

Like Davisbeefmasters said, if you dont want to cut the Boars, get some gilts.We cut all of ours, because if a male is ever around a sow of gilt in heat, there's a possumbility, the meat could cook off right strong.

We always went to 250#.
Fed them soaked barley and some ground barley free choice with some commercial pig feed mixed in it.
Some breeders will have the boar already cut (barrel), if not go for the gilt.
No meat in the kitchen scraps.
I sold mine at market price and the people I sold them to paid the butchering costs. I think market was $.34-.38 a lb today. Pigs don't bring as much as they used to.

The only hogs allowed to sell in our fair are the ones between 220 and 280lbs... we've missed the minimum weight a couple times. They're on feed for around 100 days, maybe a little less.

I luv herfrds":21l6cvxa said:
We always went to 250#.
Fed them soaked barley and some ground barley free choice with some commercial pig feed mixed in it.
Some breeders will have the boar already cut (barrel), if not go for the gilt.
No meat in the kitchen scraps.
I sold mine at market price and the people I sold them to paid the butchering costs. I think market was $.34-.38 a lb today. Pigs don't bring as much as they used to.

The fair judge picked the market hogs that weighed in the 260-270 weight as tops this year...Varies the same as the packers preference varies...Not too many years ago when I was raising a few if you went over 220 lbs they didn't want them and docked you on price....Wanted everything 180-220....

We used to milk 2- 4 cows a day-- sell the cream...Would put the skim milk in 55 gallon open end barrels 1/2 filled with barley..After that set a couple days would it be ripe smelling :roll: -- draw flys by the thousands--bucket it out into troughs--- those hogs sure loved that soaked grain...I think thats where the old Germans came up with the term "slopping the hogs"... :lol: :lol:

I think it is crazy to put all that effort in and sell homegrown meat for auction market prises. Most people around here that grow pigs sell for .85 - 1.00. Don't do all of this work for nothing your pig you sell should cover purchase prise and feed for both pigs. Alos why wouldn't a 275# pig be big enough for bacon? That is a huge disservice to yourself to have that made into sausage.

OT the Grand Champoin here was 278# Reserve was 246# and the two Commendable ones were both 253#
Yeah that grain would stink. Softer then wheat once soaked. Friend raised some hogs on it too. Pigs just loved it. I would also get some rolled corn once in awhile, too expensive otherwise, and would soak that with the barley.
Better tasting pig.
Got an old DeLavael milking book and they had a study in there about giving the skim milk to the hogs. Dates back to 1953 (?) Pretty interesting stuff.

Good idea auctionboy. There is a great demand for home raised meat.

Excellent replies...all the info I needed! I wish the TN man lived closer, would love to buy your 35 lb. pigs...I wonder how much UPS would charge? haha.

THANKS!!

Latest posts