Pig Problem - Prolapse Rectum

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I have some feeder pigs that are approximately 65 lbs. I just noticed that 1 of them has a prolapsed rectum and the other pigs were eating it. I just put him by himself, but he has some open wounds. Any opinions on what I should do.

My options are to put him down right now or to run to TSC and see if they have anything I can put on it to stop infection. From what I have just read, I am not sure if it will go away on its own.

I would suggest you have a pig roast soon. There is a better than fifty percent chance that if it lives without infection it will seal up and be a bloater or pot bellied. At least that is the experience that I have had. I raised pigs outside for 15 years and you are going to get these either from piling or maybe from them cough from dust or a cold. I know that is not what you wanted to hear but cut your loses on this one and try to prevent any others from the same thing. Good luck.

I forgot to add that you can get the vet to sew in a tube to keep the rectum open and hope it heals up before it is shed and it starts over again but you will need to keep this pig separate indefinitely or the others will continue chewing on it.

Thanks for the response. You were right that isn't what I wanted to hear, but that was what I expected to hear. It makes me know I am doing the right thing.

What do you mean, by try to prevent others from the same thing.

I'm not being critical but when it happened to my pigs it was usually caused by them getting cool at night and piling to keep warm thus causing the bottom ones to prolapse, or they got a cough from dust or slight cold and when they coughed hard they would have a "blow out" -prolapse. So I was just thinking along those lines when I suggested that you could possibly help prevent it in the future. But I forgot that some pigs seem to just have a genetic weakness that will allow this easier than others. Same as some pigs have a tendency to rupture easier than others. I was not trying to offend you at all. Just giving my experience. Outdoor pigs in Iowa where I live are usually the most prone to these problems during spring and fall when they ground is warm in the daytime and when they bed down then cools off as the night settles in and they will not move together until they are cold then they pile to get warm. Just my experiences.

I wasn't offended, I thought I might have done something wrong or it was possible to catch it.

I noticed she had a bad cough a couple of days ago. That was probably the problem.

Thanks for your help and she is all ready in the freezer.

Latest posts