Big carcasses a problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Seems like the cattle buyers prefer the bigger framed calves. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that this will have to be driven from the top down to get the size reduced.

It goes back to fitting the box. The larger primal cuts don;t fit it anymore. It was explained to me that the average consumer (whatever the heii that is) wants a 1 inch steak that weighs 1 pound.

I was aware, of most of the things pointed out. I think our share of the meat market, will continue to shrink. I also think, that most peoples shopping habits are driven by economics. They need to be able to afford a steak, or roast to be able to buy it. I'm telling the truth. We only have steak and roast in our house, when something has been injured here on the farm, or is largely unmarketable for some reason. We haven't had anything like that in a while, and I haven't had a roast in 3 years.

I dunno.I bought a whole boneless pork loin at H-E-B (a Texas retail grocery chain) today and it's longer than any I've seen in years.

Bigfoot":rnshtmvw said:
I was aware, of most of the things pointed out. I think our share of the meat market, will continue to shrink. I also think, that most peoples shopping habits are driven by economics. They need to be able to afford a steak, or roast to be able to buy it. I'm telling the truth. We only have steak and roast in our house, when something has been injured here on the farm, or is largely unmarketable for some reason. We haven't had anything like that in a while, and I haven't had a roast in 3 years.
What do you eat chicken and tofu? I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.

True Grit Farms":39mud3k5 said:
Bigfoot":39mud3k5 said:
What do you eat chicken and tofu? I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.

Chicken.

:2cents: The drive to grow larger higher maintenance cattle, imo puts the beef industry on the same track the chicken industry when down . If left unchecked it will reach a point where only one or a couple of breeds will work. And that will lead to all commercial cattle being produced under contract. A good calf that doesn't fit the "specs" laid out by the contract will be discounted sharply if accepted at all.
I've used Angus bulls for years. But I do believe the bubble will burst on the cab scam and black hides. :2cents:

callmefence":n5moxkg8 said:
:2cents: The drive to grow larger higher maintenance cattle, imo puts the beef industry on the same track the chicken industry when down . If left unchecked it will reach a point where only one or a couple of breeds will work. And that will lead to all commercial cattle being produced under contract. A good calf that doesn't fit the "specs" laid out by the contract will be discounted sharply if accepted at all.
I've used Angus bulls for years. But I do believe the bubble will burst on the cab scam and black hides. :2cents:
Wagau has black hide, I traded fish and shrimp for some Wagau steaks and I got the best end of that deal. I do agree Fenceman, about any bovine that's been raised and fed to eat is good.

True Grit Farms":22vub1mj said:
callmefence":22vub1mj said:
Wagau has black hide, I traded fish and shrimp for some Wagau steaks and I got the best end of that deal. I do agree Fenceman, about any bovine that's been raised and fed to eat is good.

I'd like to get my hands on a waygu steer or a x. Had some Angus heifers go through a while back bred to waygu bull. I thought to long and they where gone. I demand a good steak myself grit.
But lots of our market eats on a budget.

Latest posts